Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wes Holmes
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I spent a better part of my Saturday experimenting with Plasti-dip

Its essentially vinyl in a can, spray bomb style.

I managed to get my roof done, and IMO it turned out looking great!!

im still a noob to the site so im working on trying to get some pics loaded up, however its claiming my file size is too big. Ill see what i can do and hope to update shortly.

That aside, if anyone is curious about the plasti-dip product, give me a shout. I had a great experience with it, goes on easy, comes off even easier, and looks great.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Yeah post the pics Wes!

Funny u call yourself WesleySnipes. My name's Wes as well, so my username snYpz is just my funky way of spelling Snipes cos my surname starts with Y lol

·
Wes Holmes
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me know what you all think, im still undecided, i do have a clear gloss finish i can add, however if it does not work out, i have to re do it all over again, so im hesitant.

·
So many options and shit
356 Posts
wow!! that looks so good!!! hahah we both have the black and blue theme going on :p next is hood and trunk!

·
Wes Holmes
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly thought about the hood and trunk, and even the whole car, its so easy to work with and hey, if you dont like it , it peels right off.

im going to see how people on the forum react to it and go from there, but ive deff thought about the trunk and hood... just dont wanna get (f)(l)(a)( by the fellow tsx'ers out there

·
Registered
90 Posts
it came out great, i do how ever think that a glossy finish instead of matte/flat will look much cleaner :)

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
That looks really good! I like the gloss blue with the flat black theme. If you were to do the hood and trunk like this, I think it'd be sweet. Maybe photoshop it before tackling it to see if you like it, or hell, just spray and peel off if you don't like it. Plasti-dip is awesome.

Very cool project! +1 rep

·
Registered
62 Posts
hahaha not to derail, but i think us Vortex guys are the biggest plastidippers, dont mean to thread check, but 3 quick pics. i'll get my car back in top shape within a few days after i finish finals, and i'll start my own build thread on here, im usually on azine =P

wheels, rear emblems, grill. i can delete the pics from here if you'd like, just say the word =)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wow, it mimics matte black; looks pretty good. How does it hold up against standard car washing, since it can peel off easily? What type of prep was done to the paint, other than masking those portions not to be painted?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
if you want a bit of gloss, theres a plasti dip glossifier or something that you can just spray on top i believe?

i say leave the trunk/hood, that might be too much. but you can always try it and see if you like it, since like you said, it peels right off!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow, it mimics matte black; looks pretty good. How does it hold up against standard car washing, since it can peel off easily? What type of prep was done to the paint, other than masking those portions not to be painted?
for best results, clean the area with alcohol, and dont wax/seal before you apply plasti. wax/seal makes it more difficult for the plastidip to adhere. it also holds up well to washing, even pressure washing as long as you do not use any abrasives

if you want a bit of gloss, theres a plasti dip glossifier or something that you can just spray on top i believe?

i say leave the trunk/hood, that might be too much. but you can always try it and see if you like it, since like you said, it peels right off!
yea there is a gloss plasti that can be applied, i assumed thats what OP meant. regular gloss spraypaint can also be applied, but there is a different procedure for using regular paint over plasti. i can go into more detail if anyone would like

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Toronto
782 Posts
do NOT use alcohol as alcohol is a base of paint thinner.. This can result very horribly. The most you may want to do is a full claybar.

The results in this came out great. Bringing this post back from its grave to see how its holding up?

You also do NOT want to use any source of paint over PlastiDip as the chemicals in the paint will merge into thr plastidip and NOT peel off. Pretty much defeats the purpose and ruins everything. If there is supposably a procedure. I would love to see it for myself and the outcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Op, resurrecting this thread because that roof came out great -need details. How many coats did you apply? Did you use the glossifier?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have an 09 tsx and I've been planning to plastidip the front grill. I've been searching the forums but i can't find a good diy. I was mainly worried about getting plastidip on the stuff behind the grill, anyone know a good diy post ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts