Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do a Matte Black finish to my whole car. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on if I should use Plastidip or Vinyl. I have someone in my city that will sell my Vinyl for my whole car for about $450 Canadian. I'm not too sure on the price of the plastidip.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know if Plastidip is UV protected?

Thanks,

Pejan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt it would be 6 cans for just the roof. I'm thinking 10 cans for the whole car. Costing $20 a can. Which would cost a total of $226 including tax. Half the price of the vinyl wrap and way less work. From what I'm told it looks the exact same?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
What the heck Plastidip the whole car? I don't know about that. I think the car will look pretty weird up close.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Do it the right way, please dont plastidip' it... Ive seen a plasti'dip roof, imo it looked horrendous and cheap. Go with vinyl or even some 3M DiNoc Carbon wrap -- I believe they have a matte carbon finish (if your budget allows it) -- these options are well worth your time and money for this sort of application.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Agreed. Don't plastidip. A friend of mine plastidipped his hood and it looked horrible. So much that he peeled it right off and wrapped it with vinyl.

Thing with plastidip (on large surfaces) is it'll look okay from a distance, but once you get within a few feet, you'll see how bad it looks. And cleaning plastidip is quite annoying due to it's rubbery texture. It is quite durable though. But still, go with vinyl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I went with plastiDip.... Sorry boys it's just a lot less time consuming. I did my side mirrors today so I'll show you what it looks like. But first I have to learn how to post pics? Lol sorry I'm new here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please no. :banghead:

Sorry, looks like shit. Don't be like this guy either.

Plasti-dip FAIL: What not to do - G35 NYC
Why is his so grey? I dd my side mirrors and they look amazing. At least I think so. Today after work I'll post before and after pictures... Also I messed up on one of the mirrors so I'll record how to remove it easily. That guy who use a pressure wash wasn't using his brain lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay boys here's some before and after pictures.. ( NOT DONE YET )

Side mirror before:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg537/tsxer/IMG_1036.jpg

Side mirror after:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg537/tsxer/IMG_1050.jpg

Hood before:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums...2460248661_507583660_9533523_1700521990_n.jpg

Hood after:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums...2864888661_507583660_9534600_2025569934_n.jpg

Picture of my unfinished car:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums...3728018661_507583660_9537311_1582293407_n.jpg

Also... I'm thinking of just doing my trunk and my roof and calling it a day. Not too sure the whole car would look amazing or not. Those pictures from that other guy who did it I'm not sure how his is so grey. If mine looked like that I'd peel it off the second I saw it lol.

Anyway let me know what you guys think!! :)

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
I'm actually impressed and Have to say you did a great job. It's really preparation and quality of how you perform the job. I actually did my wheels as a temporary finish until I refinish my car and I got many compliments on them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm actually impressed and Have to say you did a great job. It's really preparation and quality of how you perform the job. I actually did my wheels as a temporary finish until I refinish my car and I got many compliments on them.

Thanks man! Appreciate it this was my first time doing anything like this to my car. Masking everything was the hardest and most time consumig part. Also wow your rims looks awesome dude good job.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great job so far OP. how have you prepped the car? just so you know, plasti sticks better and is more durable if you clean the area with alcohol. don't wax or seal the car because that makes it harder to adhere

a lot of you have a misconception about plastidip. if done poorly, it looks terrible. but so does vinyl. with proper prep and care when applying the plasti, it can look very good, and you can always add more coats if you really want. like adding a gloss plasti on top to add a sheen. it is alot cheaper than vinyl, and i actually feel that its easier to attempt. heres a crappy pic of the my wheels and rear emblems

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great job so far OP. how have you prepped the car? just so you know, plasti sticks better and is more durable if you clean the area with alcohol. don't wax or seal the car because that makes it harder to adhere

a lot of you have a misconception about plastidip. if done poorly, it looks terrible. but so does vinyl. with proper prep and care when applying the plasti, it can look very good, and you can always add more coats if you really want. like adding a gloss plasti on top to add a sheen. it is alot cheaper than vinyl, and i actually feel that its easier to attempt. heres a crappy pic of the my wheels and rear emblems

Very true my friend! I used water and a new cloth to begin with and cleaned the hood. I let it dry and then used alcohol with a different new cloth. Once I had the alcohol on and dried I started masking the areas I didn't want done (This part is VERY important)... Make sure you get the tape BEHIND the emblems and chrome pieces. One problem I had was removing the tape... The plastiDip on some places come off with the tape ( One of my side mirrors ) So I'm redoing it when I get my plasti dip can's that I have ordered. Other than that it's not too hard... I did about 5 coats.. I plan on adding 1 or 2 more for more durability.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.