Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to put my driver side window down yesterday and clicked in the Auto down function. Well... the window was frozen shut and the mechanism kept trying to put it down. I pulled up on the window controls, but it was still trying to go down. Anyway, the auto function won, the window broke the ice and went all the down. However, now the window works but the Auto function is busted. I checked the fuses but they are all good. I made an appointment to take it to the dealer on Friday. I just want to know if anybody has any idea of what might be wrong and how to fix the problem? I want to be prepared for when I get the diagnosis from the dealer.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the double post, I just want to clarify another concern. Mainly I just don't want to hear that this problem won't be covered under warranty due to my installation of a subwoofer. I know these two items are pretty much unrelated but I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario. Does anybody know how to defend myself from this if the diagnosis is that the window worked prior to my installing a sub and therefore it is not covered under warranty?

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
worried about voiding their warranties after doing Mods on their cars:

According to the Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act, a dealer can not deny a warranty claim unless they can definitively prove the aftermarket part caused the car malfunction. Below is the wording of the act.
Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act
(15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if: (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

I got this from HondaMan's writeup on the CAI install. Hope that helps!
By the way, my auto up/down feature didn't work last night too (below freezing). but after a few seconds it worked again. I have no idea why it happened.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It helps a lot. Now I have a concrete defense if the dealer tries to be a prick about fixing the window. I am printing out your reply and bringing it with me.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. It turns out that the Auto function of the Driver Window has an automatic cutoff. If it shuts down it must be reset by lowering the window all the way and then closing it all the way and holding the button up for a couple of seconds while the engine is running. I did this and it fixed my problem, so I cancelled the trip to the dealer. Hope this helps anybody that runs across a similar problem.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
great doc ! how did you find out that info about the reset ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I had a similar problem twice with my TSX, but with the rightside rear passenger side window. I would get stuck and not go back up. The dealer had to fix this twice under warranty.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was on a mission to find out what the hell was wrong with my window. I had a feeling that it was just something really minor because the window still worked. I read through the manual in the Power Windows section and came across the info. Previously I was only looking at the fuse section.

I am glad to have remedied this before taking it to the dealer because they probably would have taken apart my door and who knows what they would have diagnosed the problem to be. What is surprising to me is that after explaining to the service guy over the phone the problem he said they would have to examine the car to see what was wrong with it, he had no idea of the simple reset. Aren't they supposed to be Acura experts?!

I am sorry to hear about you're rear window Agent Chen, I have no idea what could cause something like that.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
hey doc, i think thats how i accidentally fixed my problem too. last night when i thought i broke my auto up/down feature, i remember, opening the window all the way, then banging the door, then i closed the window back all the way (engine still on), and then after that, everything worked.

but yes, good to know about how the auto up/down feature is reset.

Everyone should keep that post about the warranty clause i posted earlier. It will come in handy for people with CAI, stereo mods, exhaust, etc.

Basically, you can't void your entire warranty for a non-related mod, ie. adding new speakers, has nothing to do with an engine problem, etc.

Doc said:
I was on a mission to find out what the hell was wrong with my window. I had a feeling that it was just something really minor because the window still worked. I read through the manual in the Power Windows section and came across the info. Previously I was only looking at the fuse section.

I am glad to have remedied this before taking it to the dealer because they probably would have taken apart my door and who knows what they would have diagnosed the problem to be. What is surprising to me is that after explaining to the service guy over the phone the problem he said they would have to examine the car to see what was wrong with it, he had no idea of the simple reset. Aren't they supposed to be Acura experts?!

I am sorry to hear about you're rear window Agent Chen, I have no idea what could cause something like that.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have already printed that post and have it on file ready and waiting for any dealer that wants to be difficult. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Doc said:
Just an update. It turns out that the Auto function of the Driver Window has an automatic cutoff. If it shuts down it must be reset by lowering the window all the way and then closing it all the way and holding the button up for a couple of seconds while the engine is running. I did this and it fixed my problem, so I cancelled the trip to the dealer. Hope this helps anybody that runs across a similar problem.
so that's why i had intermittent issues with the auto up/down.

must've cutoff when i tried to open the windows when it was frozen, then, while i was playing with it later on during a warmer day, had it reset without me knowing...

·
Retired Regional Meet Leader
3,464 Posts
yea that happened to me about a month ago. I just had my tints done and it was freezing the next morning. I guess i did something but i inadvertently disabled the auto down switch when i tried to roll down my window for the parking garage.

here are the steps to reset:

press the window down button all the way and hold for 5 seconds.
pull the window up button up all the way and hold for 5 seconds.
try 2-3x if necessary

worked for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts