Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing my koni shocks with tein springs a month ago sadly to say i have blown the right side of the shock and the left side the little piece of metal that holds the shock in place on the bottom has broken off i am now in search for a coilover kit. I want to know which kit is good that is alittle bit stiffer but not too stiff almost close to stock. I am more into the ride comfort then the track type. I heard that tein basic ,SS and Flex are stiff as hell and my friends has tein flex in a rsx and wrx and they are way to stiff.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if u really want comfy .. ~ try Tanabe's coilover .. ~
however .. Tein-SS and Flex would might do in the softest setting .. ~
or else u should get A-spec suspension for the closest OEM comfort .. ~
good luck .. ~

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
H&R Coilovers ... Get my recommendation for being a comfortable yet improved handling coilover kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Noel said:
H&R Coilovers ... Get my recommendation for being a comfortable yet improved handling coilover kit.
On an every day driving basis - how would you compare the H&R coilovers to the stock ride? (I'm looking for alternatives to the expesnive A-spec suspension - though I'm inclined to go that way - because I share this car with my wife and, in the past, she's HATED my slammed cars - "Too harsh.")

What is the lowering range on the H&R Coilovers ... can you go really conservative with them - like <1.5" ?

Tx.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
I am quite impressed so far with my Tein Flex coilovers. I have the US spec versions with the 14K/8K rates (compared to the JDM/CL7 rates of 10K/6K). While I realize that these numbers seem staggeringly high, on the softer settings the car is actually too soft, and my wife did not notice a difference in the ride. The range of adjustment is HUGE; you could go from +.25" to -4.25" in front (you would rub and scrape like mad at -3", never mind -4") and -.3" to -2.9" in the rear.

Also, the lower mount is seperately adjustable from the spring perch, allowing you to lower the car without affecting strut travel and spring preload. This makes a big difference in preserving ride quality.

I'm at about -2" in the front and -1.7" in the rear........

·
Registered
16 Posts
We had the Mugen TSX at work here and let me tell you the suspension was very very nice. It's very comfortable on the freeway, and handles better than stock. The Mugen coilovers are also 6 way adjustable. It might be something you want to look into. In terms of coilovers, it's pretty reasonable priced.

http://www.stoptech.com/productphotos/tsx/tsx.htm

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
StopTech said:
We had the Mugen TSX at work here and let me tell you the suspension was very very nice. It's very comfortable on the freeway, and handles better than stock. The Mugen coilovers are also 6 way adjustable. It might be something you want to look into. In terms of coilovers, it's pretty reasonable priced.

http://www.stoptech.com/productphotos/tsx/tsx.htm
Every review of the Mugen suspensions, both the standard and the 5-way adjustable, has been very positive. There was an unused adjustable on the classifieds here a couple of week ago. No height adjustment though on the ones I've seen.

Since you guys did the brakes on this project car, maybe you can shed some light on a couple of things. Those Mugen NRs are 18" x 7.5, but are not listed as a fitment for the TSX, only the Ody. With a 55 offset, they seem like they should fit the TSX, afterall, the A-Spec TSX rim is also 7.5" 55 offset. But I know this car has spacers. Would the spacers still be neccesary without the BBK?

Also, why is the front BBK kit $1795 while the rear is $3295?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey on the tein if you were to set the coilover on a lower setting you say the ride would be close to stock. Right now im thinking about goin for teins but what did you set it on for a softer ride. Like how many dails in the frotn and rear.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
shadowlegz said:
Hey on the tein if you were to set the coilover on a lower setting you say the ride would be close to stock. Right now im thinking about goin for teins but what did you set it on for a softer ride. Like how many dails in the frotn and rear.
The FLEXes are adjustable from 1-16; on the softest setting the initial impact is very soft, but somewhat overdamped. 14 feels much better; still comfortable but well controlled. I've been slowly working my way down,: I'm at 10 front and 9 rear right now and it's definitely firmer than stock but still fairly compliant/comfortable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LannyM said:
Every review of the Mugen suspensions, both the standard and the 5-way adjustable, has been very positive. There was an unused adjustable on the classifieds here a couple of week ago. No height adjustment though on the ones I've seen.

Since you guys did the brakes on this project car, maybe you can shed some light on a couple of things. Those Mugen NRs are 18" x 7.5, but are not listed as a fitment for the TSX, only the Ody. With a 55 offset, they seem like they should fit the TSX, afterall, the A-Spec TSX rim is also 7.5" 55 offset. But I know this car has spacers. Would the spacers still be neccesary without the BBK?

Also, why is the front BBK kit $1795 while the rear is $3295?
The wheels will fit on a TSX without spacers. We had to put the wheels on a stock TSX with stock brakes for testing. I must say that I think the car looks better with the wheels on the wider track. Without spacers the wheels sit inboard more.

The front big brake kit has our standard 4 piston caliper. This caliper is squeeze forged and made in mass quantity(lower price). Our rear kit consists of two brake calipers per wheel(one hydraulically actuated, and one mechanically actuated, parking brake). Each is machined from solid billet aluminum which is a much more time consuming process thus costing more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts