Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
320 Posts
disclaimer, i have a custom exhaust so it's length is not the same as a stock exhaust's

overall, header seems to be pretty good quality
the donut gasket i ordered didn't fit, so sorry if anyone purchased it already

assembling the exhaust kinda sucked, the slip fit joints weren't perfect and required a lot of muscle and 2 sets of hands to put it together. also, my car's kinda low so positioning the header in from underneath was a b*tch. i ended up having to put the rear wheels on ramps and then re-jack up the front to have enough room.

the problem i ran into was with the test pipe section. it was too short to match up to my exhaust but the exhaust shop i took it to was able to extend it out. btw, it requires welding.

had my car dyno'd today. numbers are a bit higher because the tuner advanced the cam gear to 35 from 30. but before that, it was peaking at 258-259. the only different mods i have now from my last dyno are the headers (plm vs weapon-r), a skunk2 fuel rail and a p2r throttle body spacer. pink line and bottom numbers are from today's runs, blue line and top numbers are from my old dyno.

overall, pretty good gains. install was kind of difficult (but it may just be because my car's too low and my exhaust is custom). performance for the price can't be beat (paid ~$400 for my dc sports headers, ~$700 for my weapon-r headers). and i don't know if i'm just deaf from the dyno'ing but my car seems quieter and the fumes don't seem as bad.

lastly, i'm not sure if the p2r throttle body spacer or fuel rail adds any hp but i think the weapon-r has more power than the plm. however, it's not enough for me to switch headers back so expect a fs thread on my weapon-r headers soon.

eddie

pics

side by side. the pipe set up is kinda different. 1-4 and 2-3 vs 1-3 and 2-4 (i think).

plm

weapon-r (i had a custom cat built, b/c i thought it would make my car less quiet, this will be included in the sale as well as the test pipe. it's matched up to my custom exhaust so it will have to be modified, but at least you won't have to mess up the test pipe)

test pipe

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
looks good. I would definitely prefer running a cat though, not only to avoid the smell but also to avoid CELs and failing inspection.

How much are you selling the weapon r header/cat for?

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
not bad, it seems to give a decent amount of gains as the weapon R except with less stinkiness if i read that correct.

one more thing, since you had a custom exhaust, wouldnt the PLM header bolt up to a stock exhaust without needing any additional welding? anyone else who has this header please chime in

·
TSX of the Month Winner
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theaznboywunder: considering everyone low balls, i'd start the asking price at 500

ilovemyhonda: no secret, i have cams, upgraded valvetrain/retainer/springs, rrc intake manifold, 64 mm throttle body, throttle body spacer, hondata im gasket, kpro, cai, race header, 2.5" exhaust, pulleys, lightened fly wheel and mugen license plate bolts

leemaster: the test pipe is adjustable so it requires welding

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
a little off topic here but i promise this will be quick

i remember you did your Cams review some time ago, but i couldnt find it. how much did those help on HP/TQ(Sry had to ask again)? also, im curious as to how many miles you put on your car with those cams and was wondering if you have any issues yet?

EDIT: looking at your dyno, i do notice that your 2000-2800RPM power has increased dramatically

·
Jon Daily Boulevard
5,554 Posts
ilovemyhonda: no secret, i have cams, upgraded valvetrain/retainer/springs, rrc intake manifold, 64 mm throttle body, throttle body spacer, hondata im gasket, kpro, cai, race header, 2.5" exhaust, pulleys, lightened fly wheel and mugen license plate bolts
Ah ha! The secret is out....MUGEN license plate bolts! jk

But I am very impressed with the numbers from pretty much just "simple bolt-ons". Did you run the cams w/o K-Pro or K-Pro has to be used to run them? Those are WHP numbers right?

·
Registered
438 Posts

But I am very impressed with the numbers from pretty much just "simple bolt-ons". Did you run the cams w/o K-Pro or K-Pro has to be used to run them? Those are WHP numbers right?
to run the cams or any internal parts u will need a K-Pro to adjust the new agressive parts :)

yes those are WHP numbers

still waiting to see any Weapon R vs PLM header dyno...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Eddie just a personal questions..

u got the Weapon-R with Custom Cat on it.. if u had the Weapon-R without the Cat? i think u will make more power.. what you think mate?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a little off topic here but i promise this will be quick

i remember you did your Cams review some time ago, but i couldnt find it. how much did those help on HP/TQ(Sry had to ask again)? also, im curious as to how many miles you put on your car with those cams and was wondering if you have any issues yet?

EDIT: looking at your dyno, i do notice that your 2000-2800RPM power has increased dramatically
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/45870-ips-kme-cams-rrc-im-kpro-impressions.html

not sure, had multiple mods done at once
maybe around 10,000-15,000 miles
other than 2 speeding tickets, nothing that i've noticed

·
-
1,562 Posts
Now that is an excellent review! Details, pics & dyno. Awesome, thanks Euro Argh :thumbsup:

It's normal for slipjoints to be difficult to assemble. The PLM header does look of very good quality & seems to fit the car very well.
Did you not use a CEL eliminator on it? You will likely need one & I can see that you already had the front O2 sensor cable extended.

As for the results, I really thought that the super long tube PLM header would make more power than the Weapon R.
Those are outstanding results, your engine is running excellent & your combination of parts, cams & ECU tuning is bang on.
In fact if you kept winding out the engine, your HP results would be higher since you can see on your dyno sheets that you have't peaked out the HP curve yet.

I really like the Weapon R torque curve (blue line). Your engine is putting out over 190 ft-lbs RWTQ from 3000 rpm - 7000 rpm. That is amazing for big cams & the RRC intake.
That is real power you can feel on the street. A stock TSX struggles to make 160 ft-lbs RWTQ.

Everyone also note that this is a manual trans TSX.

I've noticed in a few pictures that the Weapon R headers are shiny.
Is there some kind of chrome finish on those or a coating?

Thanks...

·
-
1,562 Posts

You've been on this forum for 5 years & close to 5000 posts & you are asking this???

"Simple bolts ons"??: Dyno tuned KPro, aftermarket flywheel & clutch, 45 degree cam gear & aftermarket cams. Lightened aftermarket valve train, ported head, RRC intake, etc, etc..

This is not a simple bolt on TSX with side window visors, stickers & LED lights!. :)

·
My car whines...alot
809 Posts
Nice looking header, tube array looks similar to my HyTech header. Great numbers too :thumbsup:.

Just a disclaimer to people wondering why the numbers seem high...Church's dyno typically reads 8-10% higher than most inertia-load dynos (06-08 stock TSXs have pulled close to 180whp), so I'd expect to see closer to 235whp/185wtq on a standard Dynojet.

·
Jon Daily Boulevard
5,554 Posts
You've been on this forum for 5 years & close to 5000 posts & you are asking this???

"Simple bolts ons"??: Dyno tuned KPro, aftermarket flywheel & clutch, 45 degree cam gear & aftermarket cams. Lightened aftermarket valve train, ported head, RRC intake, etc, etc..

This is not a simple bolt on TSX with side window visors, stickers & LED lights!. :)
Haha! That's why I put the quotes, it's cams and etc. so they are "bolt-ons" in a way to me. I was impressed by the WHP output and TQ numbers. I wasn't sure of the other mods he had and what else he had going on so I had to inquire. But it sounds like Church's Dyno shows a tad bit higher than others.

After reading more about his build with using OEM injectors and the cam gear being tuned to 30 deg. and (unless I missed it) a stock bottom end, it sounds like something I might want to look into more. But from what it sounds like, the OP said it might not be "daily driver friendly". :(

Dayta and Kenny do it with S/Cs and Drew with a Turbo, so Euro Argh's numbers looked good being an N/A one! I want more power but want to stay N/A so thanks for sharing OP.

BTW I like window visors! :lol:

Nice looking header, tube array looks similar to my HyTech header. Great numbers too :thumbsup:.

Just a disclaimer to people wondering why the numbers seem high...Church's dyno typically reads 8-10% higher than most inertia-load dynos (06-08 stock TSXs have pulled close to 180whp), so I'd expect to see closer to 235whp/185wtq on a standard Dynojet.
Thanks for clarifying, great figures for N/A.

·
Clutch Dump of Death!!!
830 Posts
Thanks for the review Eddie, looks like you might have saved me from buying another header just to test it out. I was hoping to see some decent gains over the W-R set up, but that may have been foolish on my part because the W-R is a beast compared to the two previous headers I've had on my car (TS & CT-E).

·
Registered
976 Posts
Going N/A is expensive for what you get out of the car. Its a way to pay alot of money to still be slow. I love N/A but after a tune it can cause you pain either in your heart or your pockets! You have to keep in mind what your actually trying to do with your motor build and what you've done with your build. Alot more involved in trying to get big power numbers out of an N/A build.

·
-
1,562 Posts

LOL, the never ending dyno debate!!
I think a few guys on here have called the Dynapak dyno's a "heartbreaker" dyno because they always read low. :laugh:

I've had my 5.0L Mustang on a Mustang Dyno (no relation to Ford Mustang), a Dynojet & a Dynapak.
The Mustang dyno read the lowest (as they tend to) but they are the best to dyno tune the ECU on.
The Dynapak read a little higher, the Dynojet read the highest.
The Dynapak's do bolt directly to the drive wheel hubs so there is no tire slip at all, but they are a PITA to do this.

So by my experience Euro Argh's TSX would read even higher on a Dynojet. :)

The actual dyno numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. It's the before/after comparison on the same dyno that is most important.

·
My car whines...alot
809 Posts
LOL, the never ending dyno debate!!
I think a few guys on here have called the Dynapak dyno's a "heartbreaker" dyno because they always read low. :laugh:

I've had my 5.0L Mustang on a Mustang Dyno (no relation to Ford Mustang), a Dynojet & a Dynapak.
The Mustang dyno read the lowest (as they tend to) but they are the best to dyno tune the ECU on.
The Dynapak read a little higher, the Dynojet read the highest.
The Dynapak's do bolt directly to the drive wheel hubs so there is no tire slip at all, but they are a PITA to do this.

So by my experience Euro Argh's TSX would read even higher on a Dynojet. :)

The actual dyno numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. It's the before/after comparison on the same dyno that is most important.
This is getting off-topic, but historically the "heartbreaker" dynos have been Dyno Dynamics and Mustang dynos.

IMO, the Dynapack dyno is the best to tune on because there are numerous parameters to adjust, including the ability to run the engine continuously at various loads which greatly improves the accuracy of partial throttle tuning. And as you mentioned, it also eliminates the possibility of wheel slip which further aids in the tuning process.

Dynojets have the least amount of adjustability and are the hardest dynos to tune on (which is why they're also the cheapest to buy). But because of this deficiency, they are also the most consistent which has been verified by my past experiences. I liken them to the "McDonalds" of the dyno world because you'll typically see the same results wherever you go.

In the end, I agree that it really is the before/after results that people should focus on, not the peak output.

Back on topic :thumbsup:......

·
Registered
245 Posts
wow very impressive #s..
Looking at the part where the header connects to the test pipe are you using springs to help flex? Just curious since no flex pipe on headers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts