Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you pop your trunk using the keyless remote button on your keychain, how much does the trunk open? Mine pops open about 6 inches. My mom has an Infiniti and when she hits her trunk button, it opens all the way. I wish the TSX did that. Is it supposed to, and mine isn't working properly?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
depends on alot of situations, I have the OEM rear spoiler, so my truck opens maybe 2 inches, if even...

·
TSXY
147 Posts
I just bought a 05 on wednesday and it opens about the same. I think that is normal.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
JReed said:
I just bought a 05 on wednesday and it opens about the same. I think that is normal.
Enjoy!

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
JReed said:

congrats JReed ! welcome to the club :wavey:

Yes the trunk auto-open like that for me too.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
mine used to open about 2-3 inches.....now only about 1 inch...(found out today)

if you want to open it more, i think you can open the carpeting at the truck side, and change the srping tension~

·
TSXY
147 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
congrats JReed ! welcome to the club :wavey:

Yes the trunk auto-open like that for me too.
Thanks fot the open arms guys. I will post pics soon of the new ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
there might be dirt build up somewhere preventing the trunk to spring up fully.
i think mine used to spring up like 50% of all the way, but now its like 20%

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Benz_05TSX said:
mine used to open about 2-3 inches.....now only about 1 inch...(found out today)

if you want to open it more, i think you can open the carpeting at the truck side, and change the srping tension~
Mine's always opened about 1 inch.

As I think about it, and think about opening the trunk in the rain, this seems OK. The idea, I thought, was to be able to pop the trunk so the bellman could unload your trunk at a hotel.

From the TSX service manual it looks like it's controlled by a couple of torsion bars. It also looks like the bars can be removed and re-positioned, using a Honda "special tool".

So much for Honda's reputation for precise quality control!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
larchmont said:
Mine opens FULLY.
(It's an '04.)
On second thought -- that's not true what I said.

ORIGINALLY my trunk DID open fully with the key fob.
But it doesn't any more -- only about 6".

And most likely when it changed was when they did the RECALL work, last fall -- this was for "faulty tape protecting electric circuits in the trunks of some vehicles. Repeated openings and closings of the trunk could snap a wire and cause rear lights and license plate lights to stop working."

Here's an old thread on that recall: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3335&highlight=recall

I imagine they corrected the problem of the "faulty tape" for the '05's, and maybe that "correction" somehow restricts the opening of the trunk??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does this mean that you can't manually push the trunk all the way open, or just that the button open only opens it to a certain extent?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
I popped my yesterday coming out of the mall; it was raining and there was a lot of water beaded up on it. It only opened an inch or so. After a high speed run down the highway home, I pulled into my garage and popped it again to get my stuff out. Now cleared of water weight, it opened about 6" inches.

I know when I bought a factory spoiler for my '98 Prelude, it came with a new fatter torsion spring to compensate for the extra weight. I didn't feel like changing it, so when I popped that trunk lid, it would only raise a 1/4" or so. But it still lifted smoothly.........

P

·
0 Posts
Meh, I popped my trunk yesterday and it barely popped open at all. I didn't even think it popped until I hit the button again and heard the sound.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
jerome736 said:
Does this mean that you can't manually push the trunk all the way open, or just that the button open only opens it to a certain extent?
You CAN manually push it all the way open -- at least on my car (an '04) you certainly can, and I assume you can on all the TSX's.

We're just talking about how far it opens by itself when you do it remotely.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
larchmont said:
On second thought -- that's not true what I said.

ORIGINALLY my trunk DID open fully with the key fob.
But it doesn't any more -- only about 6".

And most likely when it changed was when they did the RECALL work, last fall -- this was for "faulty tape protecting electric circuits in the trunks of some vehicles. Repeated openings and closings of the trunk could snap a wire and cause rear lights and license plate lights to stop working."

Here's an old thread on that recall: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3335&highlight=recall

I imagine they corrected the problem of the "faulty tape" for the '05's, and maybe that "correction" somehow restricts the opening of the trunk??

that's exactly my case too.
In doing the recall work, they didn't exactly put it back the way it was and the hinge scrapes slightly against the lining trim.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts