Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
sorry i don't have an exact answer for you, however i was very close to replacing the whole cable due to corrosion on my 04 this past week. i ended up replacing the terminal clamp only and reused 98% of the cable. it only cost me a 6pk of coke and $4 for the clamp (coke cleaned up the wires before attaching new clamp). oh and i bought a $5 wire/cable cutter which i will add to the tool collection.

FWIW, when i was researching a DIY for the cable installation, it did not appear that you have to remove the mani. there are just a few stubborn clips in awkward places.

are you replacing due to corrosion? i hope this helps if you're on the same boat... could save some $$.

·
xcait45x
34 Posts
sorry i don't have an exact answer for you, however i was very close to replacing the whole cable due to corrosion on my 04 this past week. i ended up replacing the terminal clamp only and reused 98% of the cable. it only cost me a 6pk of coke and $4 for the clamp (coke cleaned up the wires before attaching new clamp). oh and i bought a $5 wire/cable cutter which i will add to the tool collection.

FWIW, when i was researching a DIY for the cable installation, it did not appear that you have to remove the mani. there are just a few stubborn clips in awkward places.

are you replacing due to corrosion? i hope this helps if you're on the same boat... could save some $$.
How much of your cables were corroded and how did u do this. My clamp is okay but the wires in it are very bad. Thanks for any help!

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
How much of your cables were corroded and how did u do this. My clamp is okay but the wires in it are very bad. Thanks for any help!
hi cait! i was going to post a pic of the corrosion on IG, but i shuddered at the thought of embarrassment! LOL

after i removed the old, corroded clamp, i cut about a 1/2 inch section of the cables off at a time (two cables merge at the terminal, one from fuse box and one from alternator/starter i think). unfortunately, the corrosion was still in the wire after two or three cuts. i stopped here because i was running out of slack and still had to attach new clamp. so i stripped the insulation off and exposed the sections i would mate to the clamp. i soaked these exposed ends in fresh cans of regular coke. after a couple of hours, they looked as good as new. i rinsed them a bit, attached to new clamp, and she starts like a champ again.

so to directly answer your question, there is still corrosion in my wires. after adding a new battery, and some round anti-corrosion pads, it should prevent and new corrosion from forming at the terminal. i don't think the little bit still in my wiring will affect anything.

how is your clamp good, but the wires not? if you have cleaned at the terminal site already, see no new corrosion forming, and the car starts OK, i think you should be OK.

if it still bugs you, i think the cables are around $80 for OEM. this can be a DIY too. or any shop can even construct better cables for you.

hope this helps!

·
xcait45x
34 Posts
hi cait! i was going to post a pic of the corrosion on IG, but i shuddered at the thought of embarrassment! LOL

after i removed the old, corroded clamp, i cut about a 1/2 inch section of the cables off at a time (two cables merge at the terminal, one from fuse box and one from alternator/starter i think). unfortunately, the corrosion was still in the wire after two or three cuts. i stopped here because i was running out of slack and still had to attach new clamp. so i stripped the insulation off and exposed the sections i would mate to the clamp. i soaked these exposed ends in fresh cans of regular coke. after a couple of hours, they looked as good as new. i rinsed them a bit, attached to new clamp, and she starts like a champ again.

so to directly answer your question, there is still corrosion in my wires. after adding a new battery, and some round anti-corrosion pads, it should prevent and new corrosion from forming at the terminal. i don't think the little bit still in my wiring will affect anything.

how is your clamp good, but the wires not? if you have cleaned at the terminal site already, see no new corrosion forming, and the car starts OK, i think you should be OK.

if it still bugs you, i think the cables are around $80 for OEM. this can be a DIY too. or any shop can even construct better cables for you.

hope this helps!

I wish I knew how to post a pic lol or I would. I'm pretty sure the clamp is still good. But I'm going to look closer tomorrow. I think both wires in the clamp are very corroded and I have to find out how far down it goes. I'm really hoping its not too much. So ur saying I can just put the ends of the wires in a can of coke to clean them out?! Lol thanks!

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
I wish I knew how to post a pic lol or I would. I'm pretty sure the clamp is still good. But I'm going to look closer tomorrow. I think both wires in the clamp are very corroded and I have to find out how far down it goes. I'm really hoping its not too much. So ur saying I can just put the ends of the wires in a can of coke to clean them out?! Lol thanks!
yes, that is what i'm saying! it may be time to replace your battery too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rehashing this post because I'm now in the same boat and glad I came across this.

Car had trouble starting only to realize there was a small mountain of corrosion built up at the terminal. When trying to loosen the 10mm nut I broke the clamp. Replaced clamp with new aftermarket. Stripped wires only to find more corrosion. Installed anyways and still issues.

Bought OEM harness today for $100. Come home to find directions and saw that 'cdiggisapimp' stripped his wires back and fixed it for a fraction of what I just paid. Considering going this route before tearing open this bag open.

Going to strip cables to see just how far back the corrosion goes. Will post update once all complete.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: I installed the new harness and threw away the old. Corrosion on the old was too extensive, it was killing the battery, and I didn't want a temporary fix.

There's a great write-up on a competing Acura website called "TSX Starter Replacement Guide" that I used to get the job done because it does require removal on the Intake Manifold. I can't post the link but a Google search of the quoted should get you there easily.

Replacement includes removal of the following: Intake Box, Intake Runner, Throttle Body, and Intake Manifold. Total working time is about 2 hours and is honestly a straightforward installation so long as you read the guide ahead of time in preparation for what bolts, lines, and harnesses you need to address. In regards to the starter, you don't actually have to remove it but you will have to saw about a 1/8" off the plastic shroud on the positive connection in order to get a box wrench on it.

After installation I had the OEM battery replaced under warranty and the car runs just fine now. For reference, mine has 119k miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rehashing this post because I'm now in the same boat and glad I came across this.

Car had trouble starting only to realize there was a small mountain of corrosion built up at the terminal. When trying to loosen the 10mm nut I broke the clamp. Replaced clamp with new aftermarket. Stripped wires only to find more corrosion. Installed anyways and still issues.

Bought OEM harness today for $100. Come home to find directions and saw that 'cdiggisapimp' stripped his wires back and fixed it for a fraction of what I just paid. Considering going this route before tearing open this bag open.

Going to strip cables to see just how far back the corrosion goes. Will post update once all complete.
Did you order the starter wire sub harness online?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Did you order the starter wire sub harness online?

·
Registered
20 Posts
No I got it at a local dealer. I called around a bit because some were quoting much higher. I asked if they price matched and provided a nissan dealers online pricing for them to match but can't remember which one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.