Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

Long story short I have a 04 TSX with 165,000km on it, and got the code P0341. I actually got the code the day after I bought the car used at 150,000km.

Like many others on this forum, the CEL, VSA and (!) would turn on on morning/cold starts. VSA and (!) would go away, but the CEL will stay on after I restart the car. The CEL will go away after about 3 drive cycles. Other than the code, the car drove just fine. I know that this is somewhat a common issue, but what happened next is quite different than what others have been writing on *********.

I actually drove the car with the code for 10,000km without any other issues. Although most people said it was a timing chain issue, but I did not experience anything that interfered with the actual driving, so i decided to change both the intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors. After changing the sensors, the CEL went away along with the VSA and (!) even on cold starts. The CEL never came back for about two months. However, a month ago I changed the battery, and the CEL/VSA/(!) came on again the next morning. But the next day it was gone and never came back, It seems the CEL just sometimes randomly pops up after extremely cold nights like -30 degrees. This happened only twice after the battery change. Should I be concerned? Or just leave it. I dont really want to change the timing chain for nothing.

BTW: I have always kept the oil topped up, the car burns oil(1L/1500km) but i managed to stop it using this special compound/liquid, I add 200ml when i do my oil changes. A mechanic told me that I should not have to change the chains unless the car has like over 200,000km or I drive it with very little engine oil.

Any advice would really be appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: brought it to a mechanic, said the timing was not off.(but he didnt take the engine apart tho, dont know how he did it)

·
Registered
414 Posts
My VSA light comes on on very cold mornings starts as well but goes away after a few seconds.

I'm 95% positive it's just due to the system voltage dropping below a threshold during long, slow cranking during very cold starts. This is common with many other modules in many cars. They also monitor batt voltage so that they can function normally as well. The batteries spec'd for these engines seem a little small to me, especially in 0 or below weather.

The P0341 doesn't sound related unless the reference voltage to that sensor also drops and isn't enough to create the proper pulse for the engine computer. I'd clear the code when it pops up if you have a scanner. If it returns during warmer weather, more diagnostics need to be done

Mechanic probably pulled the valve cover and turned the engine by hand to line up all timing marks. That only shows the base timing of the chain sprockets. Since the cam angles are constantly changed by the ECU, there could be an issue with one or both of the cam adjusters. The code could also suggest a worn/stretched chain or a tensioner that is not operating correctly. Just some insight. Without more testing, inspecting etc this info can only go so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds about right. thanks. The code hasnt came back yet. but im planning on selling the car in spring, because its developing various rattles and vibrations, plus the engine is burning 1L of oil every 1500km. I will be switching to a 06+ TL or TSX instead in the fall:spin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts