Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put in a navigation system later? I purchase my TSX used, without navi and was wondering my options.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I'm sure it's doable...for a cost... not worth it IMO...

I say go aftermarket

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
As far as I know, it was done once. The guy didn't even say how much it cost, but it took four days for the install, and he had to make his own harnesses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aftermarket Navi recommendations?

Anyone have a clean aftermarket navigation recommendation? I want the interior to be as clean and uncluttered as possible.

Thanks

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Hey man if you are thinking about going NAVI definatly go aftermarket. Its not worth it IMO for modifying from a non navi to a navi. For the amount its going to cost..just get a Pioneer, Alpine in dash with navi. You can save $$ and time.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
The Pioneer AVIC N2 is a really sweet unit, or you might get a good deal on an AVIC N1.

Pros over factory system:

Can play DVDs while driving
Voice recognition allows Point of Interest to be found
Navtraffic service with N2
XM radio available (if you don't have an 05)
MP3 capable
Can add back up camera

Cons:

Can play DVDs while driving
Smaller screen (6.5")
Unless you do a really custom install, the factory radio will still be in the dash, and the aftermarket unit will then be mounted down in front of the shifter. Not only does it look a little funny to have two radios, but the viewing angle for the screen isn't all the great.
Not as seamlessly integrated into the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can always do after market Navi, I recently did it on my TSX. I will post up pictures later on. You will need to purchase an external speed sensor, aux adapter, for everything to work good. Will explain later with pictures to make things easier.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Or you can just get stand alone units which are self contained and require no installation. The good thing about these is that you can take them from car to car and they are much cheaper (about $1000 or less) and they are hard drive based vs. DVD ROM based which means cheaper and easier to upgrade to new maps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With all the efforts of trying to installl a OEM Nav in a Non Nav car, it's kind of a bitch. Yes, you can do it but you're better off going aftermarket. Just the problem with aftermarket is that it no longer looks as nice since the OEM was all integrated.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my current setup. I have the Kenwood KVT-815 DVD head unit and the DV4100 Navigation. Non-stock navigation TSX is missing the wiring for the speed sensor in the wiring harness, so you will need to buy a universal external speed sensor. Also, if you do not have an amp then its best to buy an aux adapter, Soundgate SNHond3. The cool thing about the KVT-815 head unit is that it has various screen settings for me to pull the screen forward, backward, tilt up and down to meet your best viewing preference. Also, because the DVD and Navi system has 2 different loaders, you do not need to take out whatever movie you're currently watching to change to Navi mode. You can switch between modes with 1 button. Overall cost of a customer job like this does run rather high, but I prefer aftermarket than stock. Mostly due to added features you can add on later, better resolution, and better overall features.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, thanks woody, I really appreciate the photos. You know how it is; a picture is worth thousand words. You do the install? Was it difficult? How much it set you back?

Thanks again.

·
The Bay State
931 Posts
AlterZgo said:
Or you can just get stand alone units which are self contained and require no installation. The good thing about these is that you can take them from car to car and they are much cheaper (about $1000 or less) and they are hard drive based vs. DVD ROM based which means cheaper and easier to upgrade to new maps.

I like this idea the best. Do you have any info on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hell no, I did install myself! Too lazy for that shit....hahaha. It set me back about $2200. If you install it yourself it'll probably run you about $2000 and under, depending on the head unit you buy. But think of it this way, it cost $2000 just for the stock navi with no DVD. Aftermarket, for same price you get both and much more. =)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Going the rout woody went would be the best. I've seen pictures of the nav being installed aftwards.

A LOT of work. If you can't do it yourself it's not worth it. Even then you have to take apart the dash, steering wheel, back shelf. Get it with the car or go aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts