Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 07 TSX 6MT in LA a few weeks ago. Had to change the PS fluid cause it was black and burnt. So what I did was use a turkey baster to suck all the fluid out, then turned the engine on and turned all the way to the left then right a few times and it was whining. Turned engine off, and sucked the rest out(looked a bit foamy). Then poured a bottle of PS fluid I got from Honda, then turned the engine on and steered all the way to the left then right again. Check the fluid and it was still black. So I repeated the steps about 4 times with 4 bottles and the fluid is still black... Did I not steer it to the left and right enough or is there another problem? I am not super knowledgable about all this since I am still learning and this seemed like the easiest DIY to start with. I ended up using the last bottle to fill it for now and the fluid is still black, but at least it should be better than before. Also, I can't even see the level at which the fluid is sitting so I had to eyeball it to the max fill line, so I'm assuming all the black fluid kinda stuck on the power steering pump. What should I do now? I didn't hear any whining noises before the flush and none after the flush.

·
18 Posts
So I picked up a 07 TSX 6MT in LA a few weeks ago. Had to change the PS fluid cause it was black and burnt. So what I did was use a turkey baster to suck all the fluid out, then turned the engine on and turned all the way to the left then right a few times and it was whining. Turned engine off, and sucked the rest out(looked a bit foamy). Then poured a bottle of PS fluid I got from Honda, then turned the engine on and steered all the way to the left then right again. Check the fluid and it was still black. So I repeated the steps about 4 times with 4 bottles and the fluid is still black... Did I not steer it to the left and right enough or is there another problem? I am not super knowledgable about all this since I am still learning and this seemed like the easiest DIY to start with. I ended up using the last bottle to fill it for now and the fluid is still black, but at least it should be better than before. Also, I can't even see the level at which the fluid is sitting so I had to eyeball it to the max fill line, so I'm assuming all the black fluid kinda stuck on the power steering pump. What should I do now? I didn't hear any whining noises before the flush and none after the flush.
If the previous owner hadn't flushed the fluid ever (Like mine did) then there's more than enough gunk in there to last for cases of fluid. You're going to have to do a proper flush if you want most of the gunk out (Outlined in the Hanes manual). If the steering is light and smooth, you should actually be good to go. Though consider doing a flush every year to keep it going strong. It's only $5 a bottle afterall. When I got the car, mine felt notchy as I went along, though after the flush it's smooth as butter. I can refer the steps from the manual if you need it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the previous owner hadn't flushed the fluid ever (Like mine did) then there's more than enough gunk in there to last for cases of fluid. You're going to have to do a proper flush if you want most of the gunk out (Outlined in the Hanes manual). If the steering is light and smooth, you should actually be good to go. Though consider doing a flush every year to keep it going strong. It's only $5 a bottle afterall. When I got the car, mine felt notchy as I went along, though after the flush it's smooth as butter. I can refer the steps from the manual if you need it.
The steering isn't too bad. One problem might be I can't turn the wheel all the way around with one hand with ease like I did with my 2000 Honda Accord. But then again, the steering wheel on that was slimmer so that might have been why. It shouldn't be a problem tho should it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This power steering flush is on my list to do.

Any recommendations on how much fluid I need to do a good flush and refill?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I tried the drain and refill method 3 times and could only get my fluid to be a dirty light brown but at least it was translucent. I refilled the reservoir once every weekend for 3 weeks to mix all the fluid in the system. I used a total of 4-5 containers for the whole process. It was also was black when I first started.

I never tried to flush it but that I believe that requires disconnecting the return line, capping the reservoir inlet, and several cycles of starting the car and stopping it to refill the reservoir. I think that if you try to run the car and refill the reservoir at the same time, fluid will back flow and spill. The reservoir has to be capped when the car is running.

My reservoir has a screen at the bottom so I couldn't ever totally drain it with a baster from the top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m going to try this my fluid looks really dark in the reservoir. My steering feels a little heavy but I have no noises or leaks so that’s a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts