Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is premium unleaded gas really required for the TSX to run well? Will the ECU compensate for lower octane fuel?

I ask this because our local cops in their Crown Vics asked Ford if they could go from 93 to 89 octane with no problems, and Ford said yes and they are now saving money on fuel costs. Also, all my Hondas in the past ran perfect on regular unleaded and was wondering is the TSX K24 (big brother to my EP3 K20A3 engine) really that much different when it comes to fuel requirements. Whatcha think folks?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
You can do it, but the performance will suffer, also fuel efficiency. We've had some discussions on this, and everybody agreed those things are true; we just didn't necessarily agree on how great the differences are. Also, there was some thought that it's "better for the car" if you use premium. I don't think we wound up being sure about that one way or the other, but "maybe" is more than enough for me.

IMO the bottom line is, sure, you "can" do it. But it's hardly worth it. Unless you absolutely need to save a couple of bucks, right now, today.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Agreed with Larch.

Also, why buy a sport sedan and not buck up the extra couple dollars for premium, as the manufacturer recommends?

Ferg

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
If you do it, beware of knocks, particularly if you flog it. If you hear em, hie thee to a station for some octane injection.

Another thing, someone else on another forum (I believe), said the loss in fuel economy pretty close to offsets the savings in price.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I still don't understand the logic behind this issue. If you don't want to spend the extra money on gas, why did you spend the extra money on the CAR? Seems like the ACCORD V6 would have been the better route!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
pocketkiller said:
I still don't understand the logic behind this issue. If you don't want to spend the extra money on gas, why did you spend the extra money on the CAR? Seems like the ACCORD V6 would have been the better route!
OK, cool your jets dude! :rolleyes:

It was just a question and I appreciate the constructive feedback (from everyone else).

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
HondaMan said:
OK, cool your jets dude! :rolleyes:

It was just a question and I appreciate the constructive feedback (from everyone else).
Sorry but this issue really gets to me for some reason. Manual says 91 minimum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have often wondered the same thing, it sounds like our fuel we get here is pretty much what is sold in the US, we have regular unleaded then Premium Unleaded which costs a little more but is meant to be better for your engine and fuel efficiency. We call the fuel Petrol over here though not 'gas', where did you guys learn to use the term 'gas' for petrol when petrol isn't a gas it is liquid and a fuel, not what I let off from my behind ;) :laugh:

Anyway back to the topic on hand, fuel is SO expensive here at the moment, I had to fill up yesterday, the petrol was selling for $1.07 per litre, and there is roughly 2 and a half litres in one gallon! Work it out we are paying probably around a dollar more than you guys for one litre/gallon! It cost me 70 bucks just to fill up my tank ! I mean comeon what is the deal with the fuel prices? !! I will still put Premium unleaded in my Accord Euro when it arrives though, even at $1.17 per litre !

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
I have often wondered the same thing, it sounds like our fuel we get here is pretty much what is sold in the US, we have regular unleaded then Premium Unleaded which costs a little more but is meant to be better for your engine and fuel efficiency. We call the fuel Petrol over here though not 'gas', where did you guys learn to use the term 'gas' for petrol when petrol isn't a gas it is liquid and a fuel, not what I let off from my behind ;) :laugh:
What octane ratings are your regular and premium (petrol)? In Canada, reg=87, mid=89, prem=91, and 94 is available at some stations. I assume the Euro Accord is tuned for regular?

Hood=bonnet, roof=hood, trunk=boot, gotta love the English language.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
.....We call the fuel Petrol over here though not 'gas', where did you guys learn to use the term 'gas' for petrol when petrol isn't a gas it is liquid and a fuel, not what I let off from my behind ;) :laugh: .....
That's a great question, but way off the topic, which means that I'm more than happy to get into it. :D

I don't know, except that it's a short form of the "real" word, which is GASOLINE. I guess it's sort of a coincidence (although probably not a total coincidence) that the shortened form, "gas," happens to be the same as the word for that other thing, the evaporated state. So, the question becomes, where does the word "gasoline" come from.

And I'm too lazy to check that out. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
If you do it, beware of knocks, particularly if you flog it. If you hear em, hie thee to a station for some octane injection.

Another thing, someone else on another forum (I believe), said the loss in fuel economy pretty close to offsets the savings in price.
Here's my experience...

89 octane fillup - 23.6 mpg - 12 gal

92 octane fillup - 24.9 mpg - 11.6 gal

The 89 octane was 1.90 and it cost me $22.80 and I went 283.2 miles

The 93 octane was 1.97 and it cost me $22.85 and I went 284.88 miles

And the car was more responsive and it only cost me about 84 cents. Not bad, I'd say. I'll stick with premium.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
My baby gets nothing but 91 from 76 :thumbsup:
mine gets octane 93 from Amoco :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
kiteboy said:
What octane ratings are your regular and premium (petrol)? In Canada, reg=87, mid=89, prem=91, and 94 is available at some stations. I assume the Euro Accord is tuned for regular?

Hood=bonnet, roof=hood, trunk=boot, gotta love the English language.

Well I am told that Mobil and Caltex are the two main petrol providers here who have the best quality and highest octane ratings. Regular Unleaded rates between 87-89 depending where you go, and premium has to rate 89 upwards to be labelled 'Premium Unleaded', the fuel where I go has a 91 octane rating but I am not sure if we can anything as high as 94.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joker said:
My baby gets nothing but 91 from 76 :thumbsup:
Mine will get 93 from my Kroger (member card discount) gas station! :)

Dang, you Cali folks only get 91 and pay about 30 cents more than me. Doh!

That's the next question I guess...how much better is 93 than 91? Even if I don't buy from a "name brand" gas station like BP or 76. So, my guess is even if I buy from a cheaper gas station I'm still get 93 which is ABOVE the recommended octane rating! :p

BTW, you Euros call it Petrol and we call it Gas (short for Gasoline). I call it Petrol when I want to be funny...I use to work with a bunch of Brits. hehe :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I've actually never seen octane 91 at gas stations around here that I've been to before.. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
larchmont said:
If you want to be funny, get a necklace or something with that avatar. :D
LOL, good idea...but I suck with PhotoShop! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts