Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hosed down the car yesterday after dark with an ordinary garden hose & nozzle.

this morning I looked at the car and it STILL has this fine thin coat of dust/dirt.

Will the coin-operated pressure washer place blow the dirt off ?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes it should/will ... But, do you park in a garage or outdoors? Big difference, basic atmosphere is always dirty.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks Noel, I also think the hi pressure should blow the dirt film off. Good thing I didn't move on the wash or wipe it as it was too dark to see the film.

I park outside. But the film was definitely there always.

ALSO, is it ok to stick the pressure nozzle under ANY part of the car like under the engine ?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yeah, it'll remove the "dirt film" but overnight, the dew and general air will create another layer again. You need to constantly wax to prevent this from happening, our cars that park outdoor have this same problem as well.

Yes, it's fine to apply the nozzle to anywhere under/on the car, except obviously into the exhaust system. But I wouldn't use a strong pressure against the general bodywork compared with full pressure under the car.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
Another thread revival by me due to boredom at work.

Pondering... would a pressure washer be the best thing to use to clean wheels?

How about on the car? Safe on paint from all the high pressure??

·
trespassing Jeep owner
2,731 Posts
I've heard of using a pressure washer to clean wheels, but my hesitation comes from not wanting to blow off the magnets used to balance the tires.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
wong05tsx said:
Another thread revival by me due to boredom at work.

Pondering... would a pressure washer be the best thing to use to clean wheels?

How about on the car? Safe on paint from all the high pressure??
Its not neccasarily the best thing but its great for really dirty wheels and for blasting away alot of the dirt and grime from inside the rim.

I wouldnt reccomend using any wheel cleaners either, I just use car wash soap, hot water, and a sea sponge.

Pressure washers our safe on paint as long as the pressure isnt turned up too high, any DIY car wash place should have thier pressure set at a safe level. But you still want to stay a good 3 feet or so away from the car when using it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
audioserf said:
I've heard of using a pressure washer to clean wheels, but my hesitation comes from not wanting to blow off the magnets used to balance the tires.
Ive never had a problem with the wheel weights coming off, I dont think it could blow them off unless you had the pressure washer a few inches away from the wheel.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
I use it on my wheels all the time. I don't think you have to worry about the magnets, unless there very easily exposed to a direct stream. I woudln't dare use a pressure washer on my body paint.

·
Needs No Explanation
3,754 Posts
lol haven't you seen my pressure washer threads? :p

you cant go wrong.

·
Brandon
1,250 Posts
Use Meguiars Speed Detailer w/ a microfiber cloth between car washes.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
i wash my car real good wax it...and use microfiber towel...the next day i see a dust of blanket on it...its normal if u park on the street or a open garage....

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
I have a family friend with a s500 and he only washs it with a pressure washer. he uses the spot free water for the final rinse and then drives it home to dry it. When he gets home he applies some Adam's quick detailer, or something like that, with a microfiber towel, and his finish is perfect. The car has never been touched by anything other than microfiber towels, so pressure washers work really well.

·
Registered
827 Posts
tsx4life said:
i wash my car real good wax it...and use microfiber towel...the next day i see a dust of blanket on it...its normal if u park on the street or a open garage....
original california duster and a few minutes takes care of this.

·
Forum Vendor
68 Posts
probably your surrounding is dusty...I ususally dry my car right away after wash

·
Registered
164 Posts
use a clay bar kit

its suprisingly easy to use and it works great.

Use it after a wash, and before a wax.

You'll be suprised how much crap/particles on the paid that you wouldn't want scratching when you go on to wax. Makes the body really smooth. Then wax it really good.

you can get away washing off dust with regular hose if you do a good job with all that. if u find the dust sticking to it really bad again, needs another wash/wax job

·
its a fu*ken LEO-PARD~!
186 Posts
you guys need some detailing 101... i should start a thread :D maybe after i finish my history paper and calculus stuff tonight -.-;

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
you guys need some detailing 101... i should start a thread :D maybe after i finish my history paper and calculus stuff tonight -.-;
the idea of a pressure washer only came to mind to wash the wheels in the rain season.

i wash my car on the regular, dry with microfiber towels/microweave. wax every 2 months

clay/polish/wax/seal every 6 months
wheel polish every 2-3 weeks

aside from rock chips, i think my paint is in good condition :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts