Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i didnt wanna have to do this, kind of embarassing, but i just got my 2007 TSX last week, and ive driven stick before but not for long extended time, and since im going to be driving this car everyday i thought id ask for some tips and advice before i kill my clutch lol

I drive to work everyday and drive around after that but i feel like some times i dont go into first properly or give to much gas, i can find the point were i have to give it gas but sometimes i give it too much gas and the car hops and i have to go into second gear

I also had a question about Turning, should i go into 2nd brake and turn or how should i do it?

and lastly had a question about braking, should i down shift or put it into neutral and brake which is what i do?

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Well i didnt wanna have to do this, kind of embarassing, but i just got my 2007 TSX last week, and ive driven stick before but not for long extended time, and since im going to be driving this car everyday i thought id ask for some tips and advice before i kill my clutch lol

I drive to work everyday and drive around after that but i feel like some times i dont go into first properly or give to much gas, i can find the point were i have to give it gas but sometimes i give it too much gas and the car hops and i have to go into second gear

I also had a question about Turning, should i go into 2nd brake and turn or how should i do it?

and lastly had a question about braking, should i down shift or put it into neutral and brake which is what i do?
not embarrasing, my tsx was my first manual car as well. To answer your questions:

1. its ok, over time your will become ept at it, especially once muscles memorize (legs that is) the friction zone/throttle. Keep practicing and don't rush.

2. Up to you and/or the speed you are taking the turn at (every turn has different variables (pedestrians/cars/traffic) when I first started driving stick I was overwhelmed at turns, I would be like shift turn brake or just leave it in first and turn then shift, lol. In the end its all preference and once you get accustomed to it you will do whichever one you feel fit/want to. There is no right answer, but generally if you need to brake you should just ride it out in 1st lol.

3. Also preference, if its to slow down to a stop there is no need to downshift/engine brake, might as well brake...when you throw it in neutral is also preference, some people wait right before the car is about to stop, others well before..

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Turning in the city is usually always a second gear affair; assuming you're not stopped then always start out of first. You can brake and down shift into second at the same time or do most of your braking in third and put it into second when the revs drop low; it doesn't really matter as long as your not putting in second at too high a speed making the RPMs shoot up high unnecessarily or lugging the engine in third (RPMs below 1.5K).

Braking is a controversial issue but both methods are practised. They say it's safer to down shift because you always want to be in a gear should you need to promptly accelerate to avoid something (although it's not hard to just put it back into gear and go should you need to). However downshifting all the time can be a burden on your engine and drivetrain; especially if you're not good at it (rev matching). But on the other hand it extends the life of your brakes because your engine is doing some of the braking now.

So I recommend doing this - downshift when you're driving in rural areas or on the highway (since you need to brake much less often you won't be constantly downshifting) and put it into neutral when braking in the city where speeds are much lower and your brakes don't get abused as much (assuming you've read the situation and you won't need to accelerate right away - pretty much when you're approaching stop signs or traffic lights). This way you can prolong the life of your brakes and not put constant stress on your drivetrain/engine. You can probably incorperate more downshifting once you get better at it.

And as for starting out of first you'll just have to practice and figure out the perfect amount of gas you need to get going. Trial and error. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts