Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
As im still new to driving stick-shift, i was j/looking for a little advice..

whats the best way to launch a car with a manual transmission at the track?

and wats the proper way to burn-out thru the water before lining up?

thanks guys :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Hey, Nocturnal!!! I don't have the answer to your question, because I'm a 5AT guy. But, it looks like you have the answer to my question -- Where is there a track anywhere near New York City?? I looked into it a little, and it seemed the closest one would be up near Albany.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
NocturnalTSX said:
wats the proper way to burn-out thru the water before lining up?
The proper way with street tire's is to drive around the water, and not to burn out. :nono:
The water is there for people with slicks, who need to bring their tire's up to temp for maximum traction. You do not need to do this with street tires. Not to mention your times may actually be worse, as the tread will pull water up onto the tires.
I have not launched the TSX yet, as I am still breaking mine in. So I have no idea what the best RPM to launch is.
Your best bet is to go to the track, and practice.
Please let us know how it goes, and save your tires/brake's by staying out of the water ;)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Also, here is a hint.
If your tree has 3 light's before the green, launch on the 2nd light. ;)

Example

light #1
light #2 - launch!!
light #3
green

You might foul a couple at first.. But practice, and you should be nailing it in no time!!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
What would we do without this dude?

I think you might have just shaved a couple of tenths for me. :D

(And besides that, I didn't even know there were "trees" or "3 lights before the green" either.) :donno:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
larchmont said:
(Thanks for the warning, dudes -- I wouldn't have even known there was water!)
Some tracks will kick you out for doing burnout's in the water with street tires!!
The reason is you track water down the track.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Ok, I will bite, why turn off the vsa....So the traction control does not kick in??

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
johnej said:
Ok, I will bite, why turn off the vsa....So the traction control does not kick in??
VSA will actually slow you down in this situation. The VSA's job is to stop wheel spin. This concept will not work in your favor while at the strip (driving in a straight line). You'll have wheel spin during your launch, and the last thing you want is your VSA system applying the breaks (it will slow you down).
In this situation you are better to find the best RPM to launch/use of your clutch for minimal wheel spin.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Check out this link

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/46352/article.html

"Let's say you're at a stoplight on wet pavement. The light turns green and you press too firmly on the accelerator pedal. There is slick asphalt under your tires and the wheels begin to spin. The traction control system instantaneously kicks in, sensing that the wheels have begun to slip. Within a fraction of a second, this data is fed back to the control unit, which adjusts throttle input and applies braking force to slow the wheels (some older systems also retarded engine spark). The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and the car maintains maximum traction."
For the beginner, this may be a good thing. But for the more experienced driver, you never want your brakes applied in the 1/4 mile situation.
As stated before, your times will be much quicker if you can learn to minimize wheel spin without applying your brakes. This is achieved with finding the best RPM, and use of your clutch together for the least amount of wheel spin. Again, on your launch there will always be wheel spin. So your times will be quicker by finding a happy medium between RPM's, and your clutch, rather then your brake's.
Again, this theory is only for the 1/4 mile track.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
larchmont said:
Hey, Nocturnal!!! I don't have the answer to your question, because I'm a 5MT guy. But, it looks like you have the answer to my question -- Where is there a track anywhere near New York City?? I looked into it a little, and it seemed the closest one would be up near Albany.

Hey wats up?
I do beleive there is a track in Riverhead, NY. But i have never been there, but its not a very popular track. Most people around here just go to the Englishtown Raceway Park in NJ.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: Proper way to launch at track w/a Manual Transmission?

Joker said:
The proper way with street tire's is to drive around the water, and not to burn out. :nono:
The water is there for people with slicks, who need to bring their tire's up to temp for maximum traction. You do not need to do this with street tires. Not to mention your times may actually be worse, as the tread will pull water up onto the tires.
I have not launched the TSX yet, as I am still breaking mine in. So I have no idea what the best RPM to launch is.
Your best bet is to go to the track, and practice.
Please let us know how it goes, and save your tires/brake's by staying out of the water ;)

Cool thanks for that info man :)

I'm still new to driving stick, so I just need to practice. As most ppl kno, going into first gear from stop is probably the hardest. I haven't mastered it yet, but like one time outta 20 i still stall..
which isn't bad, oh well practice practice practice :)

Also, another question..
the best time to shift between each gear (when racing down the track) is right before redline, correct?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Proper way to launch at track w/a Manual Transmission?

NocturnalTSX said:
the best time to shift between each gear (when racing down the track) is right before redline, correct?
Yes, just before the rev limiter kicks in. Again, this is one that takes practice. Don't worry if you hit the rev limiter, as that is what it is there for.
Again, like launching, practice makes perfect. Have fun, and let us know how it goes :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
NocturnalTSX said:
Hey wats up?
I do believe there is a track in Riverhead, NY. But i have never been there, but its not a very popular track. Most people around here just go to the Englishtown Raceway Park in NJ.
Thanks much, Nocturnal!!! Exactly what I wanted to know.

Looks like Englishtown would be the place -- it's less than an hour and a half from here. Riverhead would be further, and harder.

BTW when I said my car is "5MT," that was a slip -- maybe wishful thinking :D -- I meant 5AT.

Maybe also because 5AT looks too much like "SAT." :nervous:

I've also been known to accidentally say "6AT." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey, how would you launch an auto? any adive joker?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hey 21...For some odd reason I thought you had an MT... But how's your car doing?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Hey 21...For some odd reason I thought you had an MT... But how's your car doing?
His sig says 5at on both TSX sites I see him on, however, he did have a Civic Si that was a 5mt.

As for launching an automatic just time the tree and wait for the second to last yellow light to turn green....launch it when the second yellow light flashes. Its good to practice some.

G

·
is it just me or does the tsx just stop at like 4500rpm while at stand still. well with the car in neutral of course. like i want to figure out how to light my tires up and do a massive burnout. i just want to see it and feel it. so i guess having said that the best launches i ve gotten out of the car was to turn the vsa off, floor it and pop the clutch, for the wheelspin, i got the jump off the line like crazy and it was pretty much down hill from there, though double clutching and speed shifting take time to master, i still love chirping tires in 2nd and even 3rd believe it or not. that only happened like twice but still, i think its cool. but yeah, ive tried to ride the clutch out and have minimal tire spin and that aint working for me. i have better results with the vsa on, so try flooring and dumping and go from there.

·
Chemical User
19 Posts
hold your revs at about 5k rpm to 5 1/2k rpm and side step off your clutch.
(practice your heel and toe driving) Don't ride the clutch or it won't last long at all.
keep your motor on the 2nd cam. You should not wheel spin for that long.

(1). If you want to drag race, practice your starts at each and every traffic light!
(2). If you want to practice your gear changes and top end car stability, line up next to a cop and refer to (1).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts