Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it? I know the consensus of manual drivers is:

-Foot off gas
-Clutch in
-Blip
-Shift to lower gear

But i've noticed the revs drop EXTREMELY fast when clutching in on my 04 because I guess the DBW?. Do you guys leave your foot on a drop or is this really bad?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blip the throttle to get the revs up. You will get the feel of it after you keep doing it. Then you can heel-toe
I know you blip the throttle, but let's say you're just downshifting 6-5 or 5-4..do you take foot completely off if you're just at steady acceleration?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's bad then to just leave your foot gently on the gas when downshifting? Just seems like it's perfect rev match all the time and can be done quick.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Bad for your clutch, yes. . really shouldn't be an issue that you're looking for shortcuts. And, DBW (drive by wire, I assume) is not the reason for revs dropping fast. .only effect it has is your throttle response is slow to react (a small, but noticeable, moment).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad for your clutch, yes. . really shouldn't be an issue that you're looking for shortcuts. And, DBW (drive by wire, I assume) is not the reason for revs dropping fast. .only effect it has is your throttle response is slow to react (a small, but noticeable, moment).
True.

I stopped tha technique today and started taking foot completely off, blipping a little, then releasing clutch.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just practice. You have to learn the subtle nuances of the throttle. You'll learn that the DBW throttle has a slow start time(as Zulu- said) when you initiate the throttle but once throttle is initiated, the throttle/gas pedal is actually pretty sensitive compared to some cars. One thing I do is try to not drag the engine rpms down/up with the clutch during shifting, and match where they should be in the next transmission ratio. In the end of the day, a clutch is a clutch. Some people use it for what it is and don't mind changing it when it starts to wear, but that's just me being OCD.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know why im having so much trouble with it.

If im hovering around 1.8K and im slowing down and need to downshift, i'll obviously clutch in, but then my RPMs fall near idle and now im thinking what RPM to blip to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've driven manual for 10+ years, and never considered rev-matching until I got the TSX and started reading these forums. Up until then, to downshift and slow down, I always did this: press clutch, downshift, then let out the clutch slow and smooth. If I was slowing down into a corner, or trying to pass, I'd hit the gas gradually as I let out the clutch in the lower gear. Was this right, and if not, was it bad for my clutch?

And to rev-match properly, I understand I'm to press the clutch, blip the gas and downshift, then let the clutch out. When I let the clutch out, do I do it slow and smooth like I did before, or do I let it it out relatively fast, since I've (hopefully) rev-matched correctly?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've driven manual for 10+ years, and never considered rev-matching until I got the TSX and started reading these forums. Up until then, to downshift and slow down, I always did this: press clutch, downshift, then let out the clutch slow and smooth. If I was slowing down into a corner, or trying to pass, I'd hit the gas gradually as I let out the clutch in the lower gear. Was this right, and if not, was it bad for my clutch?

And to rev-match properly, I understand I'm to press the clutch, blip the gas and downshift, then let the clutch out. When I let the clutch out, do I do it slow and smooth like I did before, or do I let it it out relatively fast, since I've (hopefully) rev-matched correctly?

Thanks
Bad, Your slipping your clutch which wears the clutch faster and heats it up. When you rev match there is almost no wear at all and no heat build up.

If you can match your revs confidently you can pretty much dump the clutch and get back on the gas if needed. Since the engine and trans are "matched" theres no load when you dump the clutch, but if you get it wrong it puts alot of stress on the trans. Start off slow and work up to a faster motion.

I takes time to learn what each gear can redline to and than know where to and how to blip in each gear.

·
DESI SHER
948 Posts
Im having trouble with this issue as well...

I been driving stick for about 6 years but never did rev match ..

every time i try to do it i jerk the car a lot ..

i have a question .. when you guys slow down and you down shift do you guys hit some gas then release the clutch? When i down shift the car pulls back like rpms hit the motor way to hard .. idk what im doing wrong .. so usally i just shift down slowly realse the clutch as i an giving some gas

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If im in 5th gear and need to get into 3rd for a turn and I don't know how to heel toe yet..how far back from turn would your downshift?

Usually I rev match and end up at like 3-3.5K a little before...is it okay to downshift to that RPM?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think you may be analyzing a bit too much. Before I started working on my heeltoeing, I practiced rev-match downshifts and then braking.

Here's a scenario. Let's say you are cruising in 5th gear doing 2-2.5k rpms at about 45ishmph and you see the light ahead of you change yellow from green. As soon as you see the light change, you downshift to fourth by rev-matching your car trying to match the engine rotation speed to the transmission rotation speed. In other words, if you know your 5th gear 45ish mph engine speed is 2.5k rpms and you know your 4th gear is 3.25k rpms, you blip the throttle to increase it to that speed and let the clutch out. If there is no jolt or you see your rpms not being forced upwards or downwards anymore then you did it perfectly.) Once your shifting is complete, brake until your rpms drop some more and rev-match again to 3rd gear.

In my opinion, the perfect training scenario for you is to find a straight road with no traffic around that has a speed limit of about 45mph. Your mission, should you choose to accept it(sorry I had to lol) is to hold 45mph in 6th gear and downshift into 5th, then 4th, and then 3rd while briefly trying to maintain 45mph in each gear before downshifting into the next gear. This will help teach you the rpm difference from gear to gear.

Once you master this, try skipping a gear (go from 6th to 4th or 3rd). This will require a larger throttle blip. DO NOT try to "man-handle" the shifter and try to shift really quickly. You may accidentally mis-shift. The safest way to go from 6th or 5th gear into 4th or 3rd is to let the shifter slide into dead-center neutral and pull forward or backward for 3rd or 4th gear.

Once you have mastered the rev-match, continue your skill building with heeltoeing. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
If im in 5th gear and need to get into 3rd for a turn and I don't know how to heel toe yet..how far back from turn would your downshift?

Usually I rev match and end up at like 3-3.5K a little before...is it okay to downshift to that RPM?
Depends on how fast i need to slow down. You dont need to downshift until you need acceleration.

Lots of room, i just let 5th slow me down 90% of the time untill the turn and then clutch, blip/shift, engage 3rd at 2-3k depending on speed of turn

If im like TURN NOW! I just clutch the turn and use brakes and engage third on the exit.

Track answer - Iv seen guys clutch into a 6k third right after they start their braking. However heeltoe is recommended since you are clutching blipping and braking at the same time. Looked smooth enough to me but more skills than my heels have.:king:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you may be analyzing a bit too much. Before I started working on my heeltoeing, I practiced rev-match downshifts and then braking.

Here's a scenario. Let's say you are cruising in 5th gear doing 2-2.5k rpms at about 45ishmph and you see the light ahead of you change yellow from green. As soon as you see the light change, you downshift to fourth by rev-matching your car trying to match the engine rotation speed to the transmission rotation speed. In other words, if you know your 5th gear 45ish mph engine speed is 2.5k rpms and you know your 4th gear is 3.25k rpms, you blip the throttle to increase it to that speed and let the clutch out. If there is no jolt or you see your rpms not being forced upwards or downwards anymore then you did it perfectly.) Once your shifting is complete, brake until your rpms drop some more and rev-match again to 3rd gear.

In my opinion, the perfect training scenario for you is to find a straight road with no traffic around that has a speed limit of about 45mph. Your mission, should you choose to accept it(sorry I had to lol) is to hold 45mph in 6th gear and downshift into 5th, then 4th, and then 3rd while briefly trying to maintain 45mph in each gear before downshifting into the next gear. This will help teach you the rpm difference from gear to gear.

Once you master this, try skipping a gear (go from 6th to 4th or 3rd). This will require a larger throttle blip. DO NOT try to "man-handle" the shifter and try to shift really quickly. You may accidentally mis-shift. The safest way to go from 6th or 5th gear into 4th or 3rd is to let the shifter slide into dead-center neutral and pull forward or backward for 3rd or 4th gear.

Once you have mastered the rev-match, continue your skill building with heeltoeing. :)
Thanks man.

I think I am over thinking it lol. I'll try what you said.

Also, might as well ask this here, 1-2 shift still giving me fits. Is it ok to GENTLY tap gas before shift complete to smooth it out? I find it so hard to get into 2nd quickly.
Depends on how fast i need to slow down. You dont need to downshift until you need acceleration.

Lots of room, i just let 5th slow me down 90% of the time untill the turn and then clutch, blip/shift, engage 3rd at 2-3k depending on speed of turn

If im like TURN NOW! I just clutch the turn and use brakes and engage third on the exit.

Track answer - Iv seen guys clutch into a 6k third right after they start their braking. However heeltoe is recommended since you are clutching blipping and braking at the same time. Looked smooth enough to me but more skills than my heels have.:king:
I see..

So are you heel toeing or you're holding the clutch briefly through the turn?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts