Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently got an '06 TSX AT. It has about 100k miles on it. I'm thinking of changing the spark plugs soon since oem is supposed to last to about 100k. So far I have bought the reflash and a K&N drop in filter.

I want my car to stay quiet / luxurious, so I am avoiding intake/exhaust mods. I'm currently looking at pulleys and/or lightweight rims to give it a little more oomph and mpgs. pulleys just seem really expensive for what you get... from heel toe with the belt they are like 385 + shipping (UR set) and I would not be able to do the install myself. Rims obviously are even more... looking at Kosei K1 TS rims that weigh 15 lbs and would be about 850 shipped.

What would you guys suggest would be better?

Other suggestions are welcome

Also, anyone in the midwest? I live in the middle of Iowa and can't find a shop online that I'd trust to do the pulley install :-/.

·
pedal damn it
2,901 Posts
I have both and if i was just starting out i'd go with wheels. The pulley is a great mod but the wheels will make u feel better about ur car bcuz it's gonna change the visual appearance. Hopefully for the better. U can always get the pulley later.

And for under a grand I prefer enkei rpf1.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dude , go enkei pf01 , they r very light compared to my stock ones and looks really nice. I can advice to go ralco pulleys , they r 200-240 per set , oem size also available, im riding on em for a long time and they r nice.

Wheels will offer better gains than pulleys.

You can pick up a nice ASP header , its made of good material, wall thickness is good so youll have tons of gains with it and be quiet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. All of the rims in this thread seem very similar.

enkei rpf1: 14.6 lb, $1008
enkei pf01: 15.8 lb, $972
Kosei K1 TS: 15.0 lb, $784

I like the looks of the K1s the most, too. Source is tirerack.com - they have a nice "view on car" feature. I wish the Kosei K4R had a silver option.

Wheels for 2006 Acura TSX

Not sure if the link will work.

I probably have until mid march to decide - gonna be getting a little bonus $. More opinions are welcome!

Headers look a little out of my price range...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Some explanation with your vote would be great too!

I'm kind of leaning towards the wheels myself just because installation is pretty easy. I'm wondering what sort of changes I might see if I drop ~6.5 lbs per wheel (I believe stock on the '06 is 21.5 lbs)? With less rotational mass, I'd assume braking, handling, acceleration, and mpgs would all improve... but how much for each?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I can just say that my pf01 vs stock = night and day diff. Acc, mpg, handling, all improved. I also have pulleys and wheels added much more compared to em .

Just take something flat with a hole in it and try to rotate in hand , then take something similar but 3-4 pounds heavier. feel the difference. then try to move it up and down and feel the load and inertia. Its the best way to understand what is rotation masses and unsprung weight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can just say that my pf01 vs stock = night and day diff. Acc, mpg, handling, all improved. I also have pulleys and wheels added much more compared to em .

Just take something flat with a hole in it and try to rotate in hand , then take something similar but 3-4 pounds heavier. feel the difference. then try to move it up and down and feel the load and inertia. Its the best way to understand what is rotation masses and unsprung weight.
Yeah, I've done such experiments with a bike tire... I know all the principles and stuff. Just wasn't sure how much of an effect a 6 lb difference at each wheel would have on a 3000 lb machine.

Thanks for reassuring my purchase. Hopefully I will be able to afford them in about a month.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Go with wheels. Lightweight wheels improve handling, ride comfort, acceleration, and braking (deceleration). Plus, reducing unsprung weight (i.e. weight not supported by the suspension) has a 4x effect on weight reduction I believe. So shaving 8 lbs. on each corner, 32 lbs. total, is equivalent to shaving 128 lbs. of regular sprung weight.

Pulleys will not improve that many things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.