Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marcus from HeelToe Automotive and I have teamed up to put an end to the rumors and finally confirm whether or not the front brakes on the CU2 are the same as that of the 1st Gen. TSX, beyond just the rotors.

Within the next week or so, I will be test fitting the 1st Gen. TSX Rotora 4-POT 13" front big brake kit on my CU2 to verify if it is a direct bolt-on or not. Manufacturers have stated that everything is the same between the two generations, but we have yet to see a 2nd Gen. with a BBK installed to actually confirm this. So hopefully their statements hold true and the upcoming install goes smoothly.

Before I decided to just jump into this, I did a little bit of research of my own. I went to my local Acura dealer and was able to get the parts manager to print me off the brake diagrams and part numbers from both the 2008 1st Gen. TSX and the 2009 2nd Gen. TSX:

2008 1st Gen. TSX: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2594/4011126881_b285cb0152_b.jpg

2009 2nd Gen. TSX: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2489/4011126185_0cfab3a39b_b.jpg

Comparing the 2 diagrams and part numbers, you'll see that based on numbers 7 & 8 from both diagrams, which is the right and left front caliper assemblies, the part numbers from both generations are exactly the same. The rotors on both generations are also both 11.8". The part numbers for the rotors are different, however the parts manager proceeded to tell me that the rotors shown on the 2008 diagram are discontinued and replaced with the ones shown on the 2009 diagram. Lastly, I was allowed into the shop to look over a 1st Gen. that was up on a lift that had just had new wheel bearings installed, and upon close inspection, the entire brake assembly seemed to be an exact match to the 2nd Gen. So given this information, I'm pretty comfortable stating that I believe they are indeed identical and the big brake kit will be a direct and easy bolt-on.

I will be updating this thread with my findings and will post detailed pictures from the install. Assuming the kit bolts up just fine, I'm sure my 19" RonJons will clear the calipers, but for those interested, I'll also test fit the kit to see if the stock 17" wheels clear the brakes as well.

So hopefully all goes well and we'll be able to add a few more aftermarket parts to our CU2's currently short list. I thank Marcus at HeelToe for helping to make this happen as his help and services have been top notch.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: tsx4life

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I look forward to this information.

I would like to have an LSD, hopefully that can be put on the list of parts to test in the near future. I would, but the cost of shop rental to test the parts, and then it maybe not fitting is not in my budget to buy both the part, and the shop time, for a part that may not fit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hopefully it works, cant wait to find out

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a cell phone pic for now. Installing them tonight!

·
trespassing Jeep owner
2,731 Posts
What width/offset are your RJ's?

OEM wheels on a 1st gen don't clear the Rotoras. I mean, they DO, but with a half millimeter of clearance... I wouldn't feel safe driving with the setup.

Good luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What width/offset are your RJ's?

OEM wheels on a 1st gen don't clear the Rotoras. I mean, they DO, but with a half millimeter of clearance... I wouldn't feel safe driving with the setup.

Good luck.
My RJ's are +48 and will clear the caliper no problem.

The stock 2nd gen wheels are 17" +55.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah RJ's are good to go. 17x7 +55 is the same size as 1G stockers. I think you'll find it's an uncomfortably close fit with the BBK!
It probably will be, but for the sake of this experiment I'm going to test it out for those that may be interested to know. Plus I told Marcus I would.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well everybody, I'm happy to report that it was a complete success! Installed the kit last night and everything lined up and bolted up without any modifications or fitment issues. Even the brake lines which became a concern ended up fitting perfectly without a problem. The only issue we ended up having was removing the aligment screws on the stock rotor to get them off. We got 3 of the 4 of, but then the last one dedided to completely strip, so we had to use a screw exctractor to get it out. I'll be replacing all for of them with new ones though, hopefully they have stainless steel ones available because the stock ones rusted and being exposed to all that heat were locked in there pretty good. So that being said, it is confirmed that the 1st gen BBK's (at least the Rotora kit) are 100% compatible with the 2nd gen. However you will need aftermarket wheels with at least a +48 offset.

I didn't even bother to test fit the stock wheels because you'll soon see why in the pics below. This became my biggest concern after the install, I literally have 1mm clearance with my 19" RonJon Legends. There's no rubbing, but I'll be getting some 5mm spacers for peace of mind and to extend the gap a bit. We were shocked how close I ended up being to the wheels not fitting. A different wheel with the same offset might have more clearance or may not fit depending on design, but with spacers, an 18" or greater will certainly work.

So enough talk, onto what everyone wants to see, the pics...

Everything bolted up and mounted without any issues.

The incredibly close wheel clearance!

You might also notice my new Project KICs R26 Black Chrome lug nuts. I love 'em!

Reactions: TSX_WS

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
ballin.
good for you man.
you can officially say you're the first person with a BBK on a second gen.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I did the break-in procedure and finally have time to post the results.

I must say, it's amazing. It's a night and day difference between now and the stock brakes. The pedal engages quicker (nearly instantly) than before and has a very noticeable stiffer feel to it. There's virtually no lag between when you start to press the pedal and the pads start to grip onto the rotor. The actual braking itself is also insanely improved. After breaking them in, I did a few hard stops at about 80% capacity before the ABS would kick in, and I felt like I could stop instantly and at a MUCH shorter distance than I was capable of before. It really is incredible how much of a difference it is.

I had a BBK on one of my older vehicles and this Rotora BBK reminded me again why at the time, that was by far the best modification I ever had on that vehicle. With what my plans are for this car, it's going to be hard for anything to pass how much I love and appreciate this upgrade. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a BBK to anyone that's even considering it. $1300 or so may seem like a lot to spend on brakes, but considering I spent just about double that on wheels and tires, in all reality, it's really not. For anyone that's gone to an aftermarket wheel, this is a must purchase for you. And the safety benefits speak for themselves.

I also don't want to forget Marcus with HeelToe Auto. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to be the "guinea pig" and do this test fit for everyone. We put our heads together and after doing the research decided it would be well worth the effort, and it's definitely paid off. His help and services were above what I was expecting. So for all that, I just want to say thank you. For anyone thinking about upgrading to a BBK, don't hesitate to contact Marcus as I'm sure he'll be as helpful to you as he was me.

Reactions: northbridge

·
CL9 to ZF1
1,461 Posts
congrats on getting them on there. the lugs and the brakes look great. they look a little smaller than i expected behind the ronjons - the stock brakes must've looked TINY.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.