Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 846 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the plans, but I need a local test car. The top part of the shifter is different then the fist gen, also different for the accord. I would also like a driver that has driven the car for a few moths, and knows the shifter like his right hand.
Where are you located? I've had my car for a few months I know how bad it feels..lol how long the throws are and when a gear is going to grind because of the cheap clutch honda makes for our cars.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
I was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago and he had the CT kit. According to him it was trash, he said it had play a lot of play in it. W/e.
He must have installed it wrong, just like how I did it the first time. After my first install, it had alot of play in it, but I chalked it up to it being the first short shifter that I have used. I decided to go back and re-do it, and now there is absolutely no play in it.

I agree, though, I don't like the idea of glue and set screws, but it was a cheap and easy mod to do.

·
Registered
895 Posts
!

my clutch and flywheel are being installed tomorow also a ss clutch line all i need now is a good short shifter and my tranny will be complete! I havent purchased one yet just because I didnt see any worth money. And i didnt want to purchase a whole new shifter box. Deff looking forward to this. any idea on pricing?

·
Registered
604 Posts
The ct short shift kit fits the new tsx. I can be the tester for the 2gen TSX if your company wants to make one for us.
I did this about 3 weeks ago, posted pics and review about it (for the CT) interested in an entire replacement short shifter for the car though. Hopefully you are close enough and can help make this piece happen.

·
Bardi
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Where are you located?
Good old NH!

Well I had sometime to play with the ball today. I found that the ball itself wasn't round by any ball grinding standard. I measured anywhere from 1.368" to 1.376". About .008" deviation from high to low. In machining standards +/- .005" is acceptable, but for this piece I wish they were better. It is still amazing that Honda got that consistent when they put thousands of pounds of pressure from the other end to merge the two parts together.

The oblong shape can cause inconsistent wear along the plastic base. Over time this could lead to loose play in the shifter feel. I went on and tried to find a few ball manufactures today. I am looking for grade 100. This grade holds tolerances within .0005". A little overkill for this application but beneficial I think. The search continues for the part and I am waiting on a few quotes from different vendors.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
Good old NH!

Well I had sometime to play with the ball today. I found that the ball itself wasn't round by any ball grinding standard. I measured anywhere from 1.368" to 1.376". About .008" deviation from high to low. In machining standards +/- .005" is acceptable, but for this piece I wish they were better. It is still amazing that Honda got that consistent when they put thousands of pounds of pressure from the other end to merge the two parts together.

The oblong shape can cause inconsistent wear along the plastic base. Over time this could lead to loose play in the shifter feel. I went on and tried to find a few ball manufactures today. I am looking for grade 100. This grade holds tolerances within .0005". A little overkill for this application but beneficial I think. The search continues for the part and I am waiting on a few quotes from different vendors.
Great.. keep up the great work man!

·
-
1,567 Posts
Can the "ball & T" be machined as a single piece? If possible that would seem to simplify things.
Or can the "ball & T" from the original shifter lever be installed on the new shifter lever?

As mentioned, I've never heard of anyone having trouble with the CT shift stub coming loose. I guess it could be welded to the stock shifter lever. I wonder if it could be welded without removing the entire lever from the plastic shifter housing?

·
Bardi
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes the ball and T can be a one piece just like the oem. Since balls exist, it would be cheaper to buy one and modify. The quotes I got so far are up there, so I will explore the one piece option.

I would not recommend welding the addition while still in the plastic base!

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Nice idea here...I am going to offer some unsolicited input.

1- There is really nothing wrong with the CT until The fact of the matter is, when installed correctly, it is a reliable part that does the job. Is it elegant? No. Does it need to be? Well, no. Is it a complete solution? No.

2- I have been rolling this around a solution like this for a while myself. Although I was thinking of making it more an evolution of an existing shifter that is about the best one you can get (if you have a Civic or Integra), the Fastline Performance Shifter.

Fastline Performance Honda Civic CRX and Acura Integra Custom Shifter

Now, I realize that performance in a TSX is not as sought after as it is in an Integra, but the benefits of this shifter are undeniable.

i. adjustable handle for ideal reach
ii. counter-weighting to make shifts smoother
iii. makes shifts faster without increasing effort.

I would say your solution is going to improve shift action, but will fall short of being the best shifter you could make. I would make the handle slightly taller than stock, compensate by extending the bottom to maintain the ratio of a short throw, and add a mass on shaft that is equidistant from the pivot as the ball on the bottom is. With these changes you'd have the ultimate shifter for this car.

If it comes out good, I would buy the design off you for the right price.

·
Bardi
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice idea here...I am going to offer some unsolicited input.

i. adjustable handle for ideal reach
ii. counter-weighting to make shifts smoother
iii. makes shifts faster without increasing effort.

I would say your solution is going to improve shift action, but will fall short of being the best shifter you could make. I would make the handle slightly taller than stock, compensate by extending the bottom to maintain the ratio of a short throw, and add a mass on shaft that is equidistant from the pivot as the ball on the bottom is. With these changes you'd have the ultimate shifter for this car.

If it comes out good, I would buy the design off you for the right price.
There are a few ways to go about this project to make it the best shifter ever. There are millions of ways it can be done and achieved, resulting in many different designs. I can make the height adjustable although price and manufacturing will vary. Personally I think that 1/2" - 3/4" shorter than OEM piece is perfect. I love having my elbow on the arm rest and shifting, and I dont want to take away from that comfort, especially in long trip driving. 99% of people here I think would not want to go lower than 1", and I would agree. Too low and the feel of the shifting will be lost. Making the handle longer than stock is where I would question why? I did have a longer shifter in my EG, and came to the realization that my hand placement needs to be just right or the feel of the shifting is gone.

I have put over 120K miles on my car, and know exactly what I love and hate about the OEM design. Many in here can agree with the smoothness, crisp engagement, almost effortless shifting Honda provided, but also the slow/dead feel as the shifter is about to engage. I dont want to change the effectiveness, but improve even more on it. This is where ratio study comes in.

SCIENCE :: PHYSICS: MECHANICS :: LEVER image - Visual Dictionary Online

The ratio of force provided from one end of a lever to the other end is a huge factor on shifter feel. The longer the bottom section of the shifter will be, the more of a leverage force acting on your hands will be. This is the ratio that I can control and adjust to best fit the shifters need. There is two ways to change this so it works with you and not against you. One is to make the shifter longer, which would give you more leverage, or add more weight along the shifter body.

A little sneak peak since you asked the right question :).

The four shifters I have made so far will be done strictly for testing. As you can see the shifter has added weight towards the knob side. The center point of this added weight along with the distance away from the fulcrum/center ball will give a beneficial gain to the shift. The four shifters that are made for testing have 4 different heights for first testing which height is preferable. Along with the different heights, the center of this added mass will be different. The height of the knob will vary only about 1/4" at a time. Since I know the OEM ratio from center point weight and height, I will design these 4 somewhat around that ratio. This way the OEM feel will not be lost but improved. I hope I dint give away too much there. You never know with copy cats.

The four shifter will be tested by only the most trusted members on this site. Mayuga is first since we all love his in depth reviews and biased opinion. Their biased opinion is greatly needed, since I need to know what they liked/hated from each shifter, so I can modify the design. I dont want to just make a product without deep research from people that know these cars best. Design/Engineering/Testing/Back to drawing board is how quality stuff gets made.

Marcus we can talk about you and me pairing up in the future. I dont know the business side of this, I just know the design,testing, and manufacturing side. It will be way too time consuming for me to run something like this, where you already have it running great.

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
I am interested to see how this turns out.

I am still a little on the "why" side of things though, since after using the knob/cable-bushing/short shifter combo I have now works so well. Your solution doesn't seem to do much besides lower the knob which we already achieve with the countersunk Maven knob. And doesn't lowering the knob require a longer reach?

Is it really just because you don't trust the CT short shifter and the knob doesn't actually get lower? Wouldn't raising the knob give the leverage you are talking about? I am not thinking the shifter would be more than .5" to .75" taller...but at that amount I think the shifting would become pretty amazing and would reduce the need for a weighted knob.

I dunno...the FLP shifter is very well thought out. The principles behind it really could/should be replicated here. I see what you are working toward here, but I also see some lost opportunity.

·
Bardi
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah I definitely dont want anything to do with the CT one. Just my personal preference. I also have the hybrid bushings and whats out there right now works ok, but why should people buy 2 different parts from 2 different vendors and be happy with them because there are no other options.

Yes lowering the height would require a longer elbow reach but a more stable feel. Yes raising the knob would give you a better leverage, but more travel. Right now I have an 03-07 Accord shifter in my car just to prove it to myself (pic tomorrow). Its longer then the TSX and I even dropped the lower section .150" for better feel. Personally I dont like it. Its too long for my taste, and plus remember that the longer the stick the more your elbow has to move when shifting away from you. Try it with a longer knob for yourself. Personally it ruins the feel for me.

The basis of this project was to make an affordable solution. The FLP piece is a nice shifter but the price is up there too. I can make anything really it all depends on how much interest people show.

As far as the height goes now I'm at a standpoint now. Mayuga just IM'ed saying he wants his 1/2" longer or so then OEM. This hole time I was aiming for 1/2" lower than OEM. Well Marcus you might be right, and I definitely cant make everyone happy with one shifter. My options are to offer the shifter in 3 different lengths, or move on to an adjustable version.

Overall people know their TSX and just how they want their shifter height to be, all they have to do is tell what height they want and they will get it. Even adjustable ones become useless once they are tightened to the desired position.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How about we make a list

1st gen tsx

2nd gen tsx

1. Tsxronald

·
Registered
298 Posts
How about we let awok finish his project before we start some kind of list. He's doing this on his own time and money, he just happens to have access to the machinery needed.

The last thing I want to see is his design and enthusiasm for this project diminish due to trying to satisfy too many sources of varying input for the design or trying to satisfy a demand for the completed product.

·
Bardi
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How about we let awok finish his project before we start some kind of list. He's doing this on his own time and money, he just happens to have access to the machinery needed.

The last thing I want to see is his design and enthusiasm for this project diminish due to trying to satisfy too many sources of varying input for the design or trying to satisfy a demand for the completed product.
I agree. I am doing this out of pocket and time, and Im not trying to get rich here. I have limited time to spend on this due to work load, and I dont want to spread myself thin with too many projects. They will come with time, dont worry. I want to take this one step at a time and not rush. I cant afford to stop the machines for side projects.

21 - 40 of 846 Posts