Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I few months ago I added 2 12 inch kick comps in my tsx but i wasn't able to purchase a deck because the dash kit that i needed wasn't in. I went back today to see if they had it and they still did not. I was wondering if there is even a dash kit out for a tsx so that i can put in my deck? if there is can someone show me where to get it from because i have my deck waiting but i have no kit. thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
theres not really much you can do, you cant replace the head unit, some have installed a deck below the headunit in the flap right below, thats really about it for now...

·
Registered
53 Posts
No kit made yet. Most people are cutting the pocket below the radio to do it.
I installed a system in my TSX using the stock radio. The signal is actually very clean coming from it. Intercept the signal using a high quality line output converter and you just need to add amps and speakers from there. The system in my TSX sounds as good as any other system I've ever installed using an aftermarket radio.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
yeah down the line i figured id install a EQ so i can control the speakers a little better, but the stock head units fine

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
I wouldn't cut the storage bin. I would just buy the Acura MP3 attachment kit that was designed for a single din deck. It's Acura Part number: 08B06-SEC-210 and will run about $70-$90. This is a little pricey, but the price of labor to have shop do the install would be close or even more. If you DIY though, cutting would be cheaper.

The TSX radio does not need LOC's. It has been proven in other forums that you can just splice the signals coming from the headunit and put RCAs on the end. It has standard 2.2 volt RCA outputs, just like any standard aftermarket deck without 4V or greater outputs.

If you're still not getting the type of output level from the RCAs you want, you can just use a PAC Turbo1 Line driver to boost the output voltage to 4 volts. That's what I did on my system, and the difference is night and day IMHO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's one way to do it, but with the Soundgate LOCB.2 you can boost signal voltage to 9 volts, and do it cleaner than just using a line driver.
Just like everything else, there's the easy way and there's the the right way to do things.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
radiodr said:
That's one way to do it, but with the Soundgate LOCB.2 you can boost signal voltage to 9 volts, and do it cleaner than just using a line driver.
I just thought I would mention that setup since it's a little cheaper. The Soundgate LOCB.2 cost $89 dollars while a line driver can be as cheap as $23. I've heard from other TSX drivers that running the setup I mentioned has worked well for them.

Are you sure that the Soundgate LOCB.2 puts out up to 9 volts?

It says it puts out 2.5 volts on the Logjam website:
"The LOCB.2 is a fully active device and can accept input signals from 350mV to almost 6Volts and gives you 2.5 Volts RMS output."

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounlocbosli.html

Edit: In reading some more about the Soundgate LOCB.2 it looks like this is suppose to be used for a bose system, which the TSX does NOT have. Just like everything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to do things. I wouldn't recommend using the Soundgate LOCB.2 IMHO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hm, don't believe everything you read. I get 9.1 volts RMS non clipped signal at max volume playing a 1k tone at my amplifier.
The LOCB.2 is for any application when you are adding an amp and want to get the signal inbetween the factory anp and HU, not just Bose. We use them all the time for this purpose.
Sorry buddy, been doin this for too long. It's what I do for a living. If you are ever in Madison WI and want to visit a high-end shop, stop by The Radio Doctor. I'll show you around my place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys thanks for all the info but I am not really up to date with my "Car" talk basically what i am looking for is a way to control my subs better because right now i am controling them off of my stock TSX radio and it is giving problems because sometimes i would like to turn the bass lower the my controls allow. so is there anything i can do to get something that controls only my subs volume? such as a deck right? thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can do it several ways. You can use an adjusable line output converter like Soundgate's LOCSUBA. It gets wires to the outputs of the factory amp and it has a knob on it. Tap into your factory subs in your rear deck because it's easy to get to. Run speaker wire up front and mount this thing somewhere so you can get ti it. Run your RCAs from this back to your amp. When you turn the knob up and down it adjusts the amount of signal going to your amp. That's the best way to do it. Another way is just an RCA line level adjustment. PAC, Memphis, Peripheral all make them. All it is is a volume knob that has a set of RCA inputs and outputs that adjusts the signal up and down. You can buy this since you probably already have your LOC hooked up. Run RCAs up front to where you want the knob and place this in line.
http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/signal_path.asp
PRC1
That's what you need if you dont want the Soundgate LOCSUBA which would be better.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
radiodr said:
Hm, don't believe everything you read. I get 9.1 volts RMS non clipped signal at max volume playing a 1k tone at my amplifier.
The LOCB.2 is for any application when you are adding an amp and want to get the signal inbetween the factory anp and HU, not just Bose. We use them all the time for this purpose.
Sorry buddy, been doin this for too long. It's what I do for a living. If you are ever in Madison WI and want to visit a high-end shop, stop by The Radio Doctor. I'll show you around my place.
That's cool man. I respect that. Just going by what I read.

So you get 9.1 volts from the LOCB.2? That's very interesting that Soundgate wouldn't try to claim the high output voltage in order to get more people to buy it. For $89 I think that it would be worth it if you get 9.1 volts out of it, otherwise as a consumer I don't think I would pay that much if it was putting out the 2.5 volts that is says on the logjam website. The price makes more sense if it's outputing higher voltage then 2.5.

By the way, check your PM RadioDr :thumbsup:

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
radiodr said:
You can do it several ways. You can use an adjusable line output converter like Soundgate's LOCSUBA. It gets wires to the outputs of the factory amp and it has a knob on it. Tap into your factory subs in your rear deck because it's easy to get to. Run speaker wire up front and mount this thing somewhere so you can get ti it. Run your RCAs from this back to your amp. When you turn the knob up and down it adjusts the amount of signal going to your amp. That's the best way to do it.
I think this is the best way to do it if you don't have a LOC already.

RadioDr, where would you suggest mounting this in the TSX?
The only bad thing I see about the LOCSUBA is that the unit is kind of big. Is there anyway to move the knob off of the unit, so you can put it in one of the empty panels next to the VSA button?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put mine just behind the pocket. I never adjust it and mainly wanted it for the built in crossovers for a little steeper slopes combined with my Phoenix Gold amp. The rubber knob pulls off the post and can be reapplied after install. I've never looked to see it it would fit next to the VSA button. It might though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts