Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in Ottawa, Canada and there are no Hondata dealers around me (closest is 2+ hours away). I really want to relash my 04 tsx...

I'm considering purchasing a seperate 04/5AT ECU off ebay from a wrecked car (which I guess I'd need the immobilizer also?, and is that it?) as it would be about the same or less than renting a car for the time it takes to get reflashed...plus I can still use my car.

I guess what I'm asking is are there any issues in buying a back-up ECU and are the interchangeable if it's the same year/make/model? and which option would make more sense

· My car whines
637 Posts
you can just purchase the ecu and send it off to hondata to be reflashed however, you will need to have your immobilizer and keys paired to the reflashed ecu afterwards. an 05 AT ecu will work in an 04 AT and visa-versa however, 06-08 ecu will not work with your car. I believe your old ecu will no longer be useable since the immobilizer is now paired to the reflashed ecu. someone please correct me if i am wrong

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can just purchase the ecu and send it off to hondata to be reflashed however, you will need to have your immobilizer and keys paired to the reflashed ecu afterwards. an 05 AT ecu will work in an 04 AT and visa-versa however, 06-08 ecu will not work with your car. I believe your old ecu will no longer be useable since the immobilizer is now paired to the reflashed ecu. someone please correct me if i am wrong
ok but do you not need to send hondata an immobilizer, key, and ECU? and I was told (from the Acura dealership albeit...but off the record) that it's smart to have a second ECU also just in case something happens to your original ECU.

and how do you "pair" a second (reflashed) ECU to your current key/immobilizer if that is the case

also just curious...how did you get your reflash done? since you're in ottawa as well

· My car whines
637 Posts
ok but do you not need to send hondata an immobilizer, key, and ECU? and I was told (from the Acura dealership albeit...but off the record) that it's smart to have a second ECU also just in case something happens to your original ECU.

and how do you "pair" a second (reflashed) ECU to your current key/immobilizer if that is the case

also just curious...how did you get your reflash done? since you're in ottawa as well
now that you mention it, hondata does need immobilizer and key for the reflash. I sent in my stock ecu, immobilizer, and key and overnighted it to hondata. I was without my car for about 4 days.

· Registered
8 Posts
Don't waste your time and money trying to get a second ECU. Just rent a car for the 3 days it will take. You can only match one set of keys and immobilier to an ECU at a time. Hondata also requires the key and immobilizer to reflash the ECU. If you get a second ECU and match the keys and immobilizer your original ECU will no longer work. You will spend less and have less frustration just renting a car.

· -
1,791 Posts
IMO getting the Hondata reflash for an auto trans TSX is not worth it...

But if you still decide to, I would be shopping for a 07-08 TSX ECU to swap in with the Hondata OBDII port adapter.

Once you have a 07-08 TSX ECU, you have way more tuning options than just the reflash & no need to ever send your ECU anywhere.

If you decide to go for an 04-05 TSX ECU, don't pay more than about $75 for one.

· I love my CL9!
4,067 Posts
If there's a Hondata dealer around you, just have them overnight your ECU/immobilizer/key to Hondata. When I originally got the reflash from Advance Power House in Toronto, they sent it out on Monday afternoon and I picked it back up on Wednesday morning. That's less than 72 hours. If you got an extra ECU, I'd be more worried that you got a lemon, or that the dealership would screw something up when you ask them to pair it to your immobilizer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.