Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, long story short. I'm from Canada and have no knowledge of what the driving laws in Hawaii are. I have a friend (yes she is a girl) who lives in Hawaii and had no insurance at the time who recently got into an accident with another non-insured vehicle and my friend was not the cause but the victim of the accident. My friend was ticketed by police for having no insurance. Court date is coming up and I was wondering if my good 808 tsxclub members can chime in about what the consequences from the court might be. What I've heard so far could be and upwards max $5000, or suspended license, 30 days of community work or imprisonment, forfeiture of vehicle license.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Jeff

·
Registered TSX Member
729 Posts
they should'nt have report it to the cops, should've just work out some kind of deal or just take the lost...both parties gon get hit with stiff fines & penalties!

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I went to court there was a similar case like what u mentioned, if u were only ticketed for not having insurance then that's not as bad but if u was ticketed for other stuff or legal stuff with the other stuff idk but what u should do is get insurance for da car before the court date so that u can present that in court that u do have a valid insurance now, most likely won't have to pay anything major but maybe a court fee, but important thing is before u go to court u should get insurance let alone u going to court and the judge is just going to ask you do u have a valid insurance now and you say no, automatic guilty unless u plead not contest and try postponding for a later hearing,

Just from experience when I was in court to hear and watch it all, I was at the end cause they go alphabetical order but heard a lot of mighty hefty fines for alot of different citations,

Oh and there's also a one time use thing that the judge can mention to u forgot what it was called but it's like a free out of it card kinda thing but u only get one so use it wisely

Good luck

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Hawaii
1,506 Posts
Like what erick and justin said... But ya just make sure that she has the.insurance card at the court date and itll be dismissed, ohh and tell her to make sure that she gets the paperworks saying she complied otherwise there'll be a warrant issued and she wouldnt find out til she gets pulled over like what happened to me!!

@ alberto: ehh fck u amigo for bringing my name up!!! Lmao

·
Alberto Acosta - 808TSXer
1,176 Posts
Like what erick and justin said... But ya just make sure that she has the.insurance card at the court date and itll be dismissed, ohh and tell her to make sure that she gets the paperworks saying she complied otherwise there'll be a warrant issued and she wouldnt find out til she gets pulled over like what happened to me!!

@ alberto: ehh fck u amigo for bringing my name up!!! Lmao
i <3 u no **** =]

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

So if my friend gets insurance, is there like a 2-3 month or a monthly contract she can get? She wants to move to Cali in a couple months as well so she probably won't be driving much. And if she is moving soon, should she still get insurance? Will the judge say much about the accident even tho she wasn't at fault?

@Patjo - Paperworks as in the papers from the judge or the insurance company?

·
1,506 Posts
I think minimum for insurance is 6months, not too sure though... And im talking bout the paperworks she'll get from the court after they dismissed the case(if she do have insurance by that time) she wouldnt even have a chance to talk to the judge the clerk can.just dismiss it not unless the other party sued her, now thats a different story... As far as the ticket of no insurance, she can get away with that easily

·
1,506 Posts
Each state has their own laws/statutes and although they should be closely related, there's probably enough differences between the lines.
Exactly :)

Oh my Lord, those answers are wrong on so many levels it's not even funny. (I can't say how it's done in Hawaii but it shouldn't be too much different state to state.)
SMH, Well obviously ur from Jersey and wouldnt know our laws here, im just saying the stuffs that ive BEEN THROUGH to give the op an idea... So if u got nothing good to contribute, its best to just stay away from this thread... If u have some helpful infos then feel free to post ;)

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much would a court fee be?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts