Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a 2005 Acura TSX.
However, I've read that they take premium gas and not regular.
My question is, If I'm buying the car off someone and they've been putting in regular gas instead of premium since they bought the car, how big of a difference would it make on the engine?

The car has 230,000km (142,000 miles) on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My 2005 TSX has about 160k on it and most of those miles have been on regular gas and the engine is still going strong. I've recently started putting premium in it to see if it impacts gas mileage at all but I wouldn't worry about regular damaging the engine. Just make sure the engine isn't burning a lot of oil and you should be good

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've run regular gas in the 5 years I've owned mine and have had zero issues with it. Pretty sure its just a marketing gimmick. Its a honda 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The k24 engine in the Tsx is tuned differently from the k24 in other Honda products. It puts out more horse power and torque. Using regular unleaded will not damage the engine but it will reduce its power output. I have done back to back tests and the easiest thing to notice is that it will not go to it’s 7100 rpm redline on regular. I run premium in mine but it’s a personal choice if saving a few bucks is worth decreased performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What he said ^^^^

Any engine rated for premium runs a higher compression, so needs higher octane to avoid pre-mature ignition under high power... that would damage the engine, as ignition would occur while the cylinder was still on the up (compression) stroke. That's called knock. Modern cars have knock sensors, which allow the computer to retard the timing in response to knock.

However... if you're running regular in a premium car you're basically relying on the knock sensor to save your engine. I prefer to just put the right gas in it. Also it probably gets better mileage with the gas it's supposed to have (since the computer isn't jerking the timing around to save you from knock). Worth noting that knock is probably only an issue with higher-performance driving, not easy daily driving, but you could sure get there if you're having fun on an on-ramp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The k24 engine in the Tsx is tuned differently from the k24 in other Honda products. It puts out more horse power and torque. Using regular unleaded will not damage the engine but it will reduce its power output. I have done back to back tests and the easiest thing to notice is that it will not go to it’s 7100 rpm redline on regular. I run premium in mine but it’s a personal choice if saving a few bucks is worth decreased performance.
You are righty. i always prefer regular unleaded due to same reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No issues with regular fuel at all. Regular fuel is a savings choice because my car is a daily driver on the highway to work everyday. so filling up would be very expensive if I was going on premium. on regular I fill up like every 5 to 6 days during hot times which will cost anywhere from 29 to $33 per week.
During winter or colder times I fill up every 6 to 8 days. The damn car is lazy though lol. Maybe it's the regular gas.
Never had a breakdown or engine issue so far. Recently I started filling up with 90 as a change so I'll see how she runs for the next 6 months.
237K miles. Cold air intake installed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One good point the article makes is that if your vehicle doesn't actually specify premium, it is a total waste to pay for it. In fact you might well get slightly worse mileage with premium if the motor is optimized for regular.

The "Premium" moniker is a marketing scam... they hope folks who don't really need it will think that it's "better" and pay the extra for no good reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would like to hear about the "highest mileage k24" and what their fueling habits look like with respect to other engine components failing or still on OEM parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am at 308k miles on my ‘05 auto Tsx. Except for a few tankfuls at the beginning, always used premium. Always did oil changes at 5k with Mobil one. Still running the original injectors that have never given any problems. The engine has never been opened up. There is a second of light lifter noise on the first start of the day but otherwise the engine is silent when its running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am at 308k miles on my ‘05 auto Tsx. Except for a few tankfuls at the beginning, always used premium. Always did oil changes at 5k with Mobil one. Still running the original injectors that have never given any problems. The engine has never been opened up. There is a second of light lifter noise on the first start of the day but otherwise the engine is silent when its running.
Damn, that's impressive. You must be doing something right.
Mind sharing your general driving split (assuming lots of highway), what oil/filter you use, how often you change it, air filter if not OEM (interval that you change as well), and your overall maintenance records if you keep track?
Ex: how often do you do coolant flushes, power steering, wheel bearings, etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What about other big ticket wear and tear items - steering rack, AC compressor, suspension?

And I assume you've gotten an alternator or two or three in that time frame...?

·
Registered
51 Posts
All the common Tsx problems have come up and been adressed. The run down: steering rack replaced at 200k, by me, 1 a/c compressor, two starters, two alternators, one steering pump, front lca’s, tie rod ends, sway bar links, front shocks, lower ball joints, one front wheel bearing, one rear wheel bearing, two sets of brake rotors, one radiator. I think that’s most of it. Thanks to Autozone’s warranty all I do is show up with whatever worn part I need and I get a new one for free.
For the filters I normally get a midrange Fram but I only use Mobil 1 for the oil. The air filter I do by visual inspection so the interval varies. Only did one trans flush at around 150k. The car is my commuter so the mix is from 80% to 90% freeway miles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
All the common Tsx problems have come up and been adressed. The run down: steering rack replaced at 200k, by me, 1 a/c compressor, two starters, two alternators, one steering pump, front lca’s, tie rod ends, sway bar links, front shocks, lower ball joints, one front wheel bearing, one rear wheel bearing, two sets of brake rotors, one radiator. I think that’s most of it. Thanks to Autozone’s warranty all I do is show up with whatever worn part I need and I get a new one for free.
For the filters I normally get a midrange Fram but I only use Mobil 1 for the oil. The air filter I do by visual inspection so the interval varies. Only did one trans flush at around 150k. The car is my commuter so the mix is from 80% to 90% freeway miles.
OK, that's what I would have expected to be the list, thanks.

You replaced the steering rack yourself? I am impressed! I just had to change my rack out on my 2007 TSX (far fewer miles than yours, but far more city miles I'm assuming - for me, a "commuter daily driver" means 85% city driving by time if not by miles, LOL), and it cost me a TON for the labor (and the parts weren't cheap either).

It happened at the same time as some of the suspension components needing to be replaced as well, and came about a year after I had also had to replace the AC compressor and alternator, and had me momentarily thinking about just selling the car and getting a new one. "I'll have spent as much in repairs on this car in the last 2 years as I spent buying the car in the first place, how much more like this is there going to be!"

I finally decided that this was probably "it" for big ticket repairs for the next 5 years, and there's just not another car like this any more made new (sporty 6MT sedan with nice appointments). Hoping your tally proves me right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, that's what I would have expected to be the list, thanks.

You replaced the steering rack yourself? I am impressed! I just had to change my rack out on my 2007 TSX (far fewer miles than yours, but far more city miles I'm assuming - for me, a "commuter daily driver" means 85% city driving by time if not by miles, LOL), and it cost me a TON for the labor (and the parts weren't cheap either).

It happened at the same time as some of the suspension components needing to be replaced as well, and came about a year after I had also had to replace the AC compressor and alternator, and had me momentarily thinking about just selling the car and getting a new one. "I'll have spent as much in repairs on this car in the last 2 years as I spent buying the car in the first place, how much more like this is there going to be!"

I finally decided that this was probably "it" for big ticket repairs for the next 5 years, and there's just not another car like this any more made new (sporty 6MT sedan with nice appointments). Hoping your tally proves me right.
I had a bunch of expensive repairs done last summer and did the same calculus. Really liked the G70 stick but wanted factory moonroof and the transmission was a downgrade from our TSX. So far, the last 10 months have been much better from a cost standpoint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts