Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey was up everyone, I live in Canada and its starting to get cold outside and last year it was a pain in the butt to wait for the car to warm up before i went anywhere so this year im looking into a car starter, just wonder if anyone has a remote starter installed in their car or i there is a recommended one, I live a 04 6spd tsx, just looking for recommendations and or advice about them
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Generally Viper or compustar is what I look into, I have a compustar myself and its pretty good.

I would generally pick a 2 way remote so you can see and get notified if your car started or not. But as caution, due to radio frequencies and building obstructions, the signal may get weaker so that would affect the range.

But if I had a choice again, I most likely would go with the viper, as the remote is more durable.

·
Registered
833 Posts
i dont mean to threadjack but i also had a question, when installing a remote car starter in a 6MT does the immobilizer have to be disabled ? or is there a way to bypass that ? anotherwords, i would still like to maintain the security of having my immobilizer fully functional, but gain the comfort of having a remote starter.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
you have to have a bypass module, that bypasses your immobilizer
you can also never leave your car in gear... or you'll be ****ed if you start it by accident when its in gear!

and the new compustar remotes are great!

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I'm using a viper 5901 that I transferred from my old civic back in 2010. Haven't had any problem starting my car in -30 degrees C weather, and the range is very good. It has many aux outputs that you can use for power windows, moon roof, defroster, heated seats, etc... The remote is a bit bulky but I like that the display is very clear, 2-way, and has a rechargeable battery

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I had a CompuStar Pro in my Prelude last year. Never had any issues with it. Basically how it works for a manual is when you leave the car and remove the key, the car still stays running. This is to ensure that it's not in gear. Then when you close the door, the vehicle shuts off and the starter is set. So when you autostart, it knows it's not in gear. That's with the CompuStars.

With the Viper, before you remove your key from the ignition, you press a button on the remote, then it sets it to autostart. When you close your door, the car turns off and your set. It's kind of a hassle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
you have to have a bypass module, that bypasses your immobilizer
you can also never leave your car in gear... or you'll be ****ed if you start it by accident when its in gear!

and the new compustar remotes are great!
I had a Compustar on my DSM and this wasn't an issue. To enable remote start the car must be in neutral, when you pull out the key the engine will stay running until all of the doors are closed. Then you can remote start it.

If the car is in gear the engine turns off when you pull the key out and after closing the doors the car will not remote start. I'm not sure if the Viper alarms will do this but with the Compustar it is possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had anyone tried/used the smart start systems that uses a smart phone to start the vehicle, ieve heard about it and read into it a little and kinda interested about it, but im thinking about a compustar systems

·
Registered
131 Posts
had anyone tried/used the smart start systems that uses a smart phone to start the vehicle, ieve heard about it and read into it a little and kinda interested about it, but im thinking about a compustar systems
Haven't heard of them but I do believe Viper does have a mobile app (unlike Compustar) which can all of that from the commercial I saw.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
I had a Compustar on my DSM and this wasn't an issue. To enable remote start the car must be in neutral, when you pull out the key the engine will stay running until all of the doors are closed. Then you can remote start it.

If the car is in gear the engine turns off when you pull the key out and after closing the doors the car will not remote start. I'm not sure if the Viper alarms will do this but with the Compustar it is possible.
This does not occur when the sequence is set for remote start. There is no way for it to sense it is in gear. The only fail safe my compustar has is in the brain but it will still remote start. Viper has a MT module you can add on which prevents this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
This does not occur when the sequence is set for remote start. There is no way for it to sense it is in gear. The only fail safe my compustar has is in the brain but it will still remote start. Viper has a MT module you can add on which prevents this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
All it does is sense that you're not holding onto your clutch. That's all. If you hold onto your clutch even if you're in neutural. The car will shut off when the key is removed from the ignition. It's the same with the Viper. I've had both models and installed both.

There is a way to bypass this all and set it so it thinks it's an automatic but in no way would I ever recommend that option or install it that way. The car could potentially start while in gear, hop and hit the car infront of you.

I've used it and it's definitely cool but there is quite a delay. I've had it delay for over a minute before, and since you're paying a monthly fee. That's not something I want.

With the new CompuStar Pro's and the Viper units with SST. The remotes go quite a distance. I don't see why you would need the Smart Start (unless you're in another country and your wife locks her keys in her car or something)

·
LED Addict
874 Posts
i got a viper 5704 installed on my car and its works flawlessly. I would really recommend that. It ran me $560 tax in (installed).

·
-
1,750 Posts
hey was up everyone, I live in Canada and its starting to get cold outside and last year it was a pain in the butt to wait for the car to warm up before i went anywhere so this year im looking into a car starter, just wonder if anyone has a remote starter installed in their car or i there is a recommended one, I live a 04 6spd tsx, just looking for recommendations and or advice about them
thanks guys
Remote starters are risky since they are tapping into critical wires into the car. Problems and failures down the road are very common.
I would never let anyone else install one for me so I could do the wiring properly & know exactly how intrusive it was into the car's wiring harness.

A remote starter for a manual trans vehicle is really lame. It does work but a total PITA as you have to remember to go thru the procedure when you leave the car.
Plus if your usual parking spot is on a hill it's risky to leave the car in neutral on a hill with only the parking brake holding it.

A remote starter essentially has to bypass or "fool" the immobolizer. This makes it easier for someone to steal your car.

Add this all up, especially for a M/T vehicle with an immobolizer & a desirable TSX, and it's not worth it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i got question as well, if i get remote starter does it affect LoJack which is already on the car?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Remote starters are risky since they are tapping into critical wires into the car. Problems and failures down the road are very common.
I would never let anyone else install one for me so I could do the wiring properly & know exactly how intrusive it was into the car's wiring harness.

A remote starter for a manual trans vehicle is really lame. It does work but a total PITA as you have to remember to go thru the procedure when you leave the car.
Plus if your usual parking spot is on a hill it's risky to leave the car in neutral on a hill with only the parking brake holding it.

A remote starter essentially has to bypass or "fool" the immobolizer. This makes it easier for someone to steal your car.

Add this all up, especially for a M/T vehicle with an immobolizer & a desirable TSX, and it's not worth it.
i wouldnt pay for someone to install the remote starter in my car from future shop, id be doing it myself or i would be having a company that does all the electronic stuff my dealership so there will be a warranty on the installation, and as for having remote starter i think its a great idea!, I trust my e-brake to hold my car on a hill even on ice, cause if the car is gonna slide its gonna do if i'm parked in gear or not..., as for making my car "easier to steal" thats a risk im willing to take to walk out to a nice hot and heat vehicle in the middle of winter, you may think its a bad idea but your also gonna be frozen when your sitting in your leather interior frozen vehicle waiting for the engine to warm up... but hey thats your option and this is mine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.