Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i need to get those 300 dollar viper ones?
or can i just use the standard alarm in the tsx, but just buy like the after market remote and some device that enables the car to remote start?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I believe there are units you can buy that just provide this feature, sorry i dont know that much about them, however I will say that The Viper Alarm System w/ the Auto Start is one of the best out there, Definitely would say its worthwhile

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
i think the difference between the no name brands and the viper brand could be the customer service/warranty after installation of the product..

the no-name brand may not have any good post-sale service incase anything ever happens whereas you know you can rely on viper?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input
is it possible for me to just buy the viper LCD remote and the remote starter kit, and just signal the stock alarm to the LCD remote?

·
Registered
126 Posts
poweredbyjs said:
thanks for the input
is it possible for me to just buy the viper LCD remote and the remote starter kit, and just signal the stock alarm to the LCD remote?
I think it may be possible to buy the remote starter and the LCD Responder Remote, but it will probably cost you more to get it working properly than just buying the Viper alarm. For instance, this is a big problem...the Responder remote is a two-way system and requires a receiving device that is designed to function with the Viper 5000, 591XV or 791XV.

You can get the Viper 591XV installed for $420.00 depending on where you go. Some places will charge you Vipers MSRP of $479.00, depending how mainstream the shop is you go to.

http://www.alarms.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

Meanwhile I have a funny story to tell yall. I had an appointment scheduled with Custom Sounds here in San Antonio to get the Viper 5000 installed yesterday. The Viper 5000 is their lower level LCD Responder package minus remote start and a couple other features. (I did not need remote start because I have a 6-speed Navi) Well the manager did not pull the 5000 from his shelf and a salesman sold it when the manager was off on Friday. So I walk in and he said, "I have good news and bad news for you...bad news is someone sold your 5000, but the good news is that I am going to install the 791XV for the same price." My buddy paid $650.00 w/tax for a 791XV installed (Viper's premier unit) at the same place with no additional accessories.

I paid $518.39 w/tax for the 791XV installed, Field Disturbance (motion sensor) and the relays to pop my trunk and turn the dome lights on when I disarm the alarm. :jump:

The field disturbance covers the interior and exterior...but if anybody gets that add on, turn the exterior portion off because some people will key your car if it chirps at them for walking by your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can buy an add-on remote start that will use the OEM remote, but the signal sucks on the OEM remote. so if you want to remote start the car you have to walk closer to the car to remote start it. if you gonna buy the viper 791, you have the pager feature that will work up to a quarter mile and the Acura Security will work together with the Viper 791. if you want better range get a Compustar

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, don't be cheap when it comes to a remote starter. Spend the money on a good one and get it professionally installed.
Do you really want a cheap off brand remote starter flung in by yourself in your $28000 Acura?
No other piece of aftermarket equipment is going to need to be as integrated into your factory electrical system as much as one of these. You want a good one and you want it installed right, or don't get one at all. This is not the place to be cheap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You didn't...but you kind of gave that impression by trying to figure out a way to jimmy up your car. I park my car in the garage, but I still slept a little better last night knowing my car is much more protected than it was with the factory system. Plus, my remote indicates any alerts to any of the zones on the exterior of the car and of course any alarm activations. Going your route will not function the same considering the factory "security system" does not have any zones or tilt to let you know if someone is towing your car away. Don't have a false sense of security and assume that our OEM factory security system is a true alarm system. I can only imagine how restless some may be if they live in an apartment or park on the street.

Bottom line, if a pro wants your car or mine...they will take it! The key is to slow the pros down and make the common thief skip to the next car. Car stereo thieves or scroungers don't want a confrontation with an owner so they avoid cars with alarms.

·
Registered
126 Posts
chyllintsx said:
y did my dad get the oem passive alarm....=/
I don't really understand your question... I also don't know much about the passive alarm you are mentioning. I think u said u paid $600 for it, so I am kind of curious what security features it has.

Edit: Also, when I was referring to the TSX system not having certain security features a conventional aftermarket alarm would. I was referencing the security system that comes standard with the purchase of a TSX, not whatever you purchased additionally for $600.00!

·
Registered
126 Posts
poweredbyjs said:
btw does those LCD remote beep when alarm goes off?
Yes. It beeps/chirps loud enough where if you had it by your bedside, you would wake up. It also indicates what zone is being triggered.

·
The Peoples Champ
609 Posts
caz1604 said:
I paid $518.39 w/tax for the 791XV installed, Field Disturbance (motion sensor) and the relays to pop my trunk and turn the dome lights on when I disarm the alarm. :jump:

The field disturbance covers the interior and exterior...but if anybody gets that add on, turn the exterior portion off because some people will key your car if it chirps at them for walking by your car.

On my honda element i got the 791xv installed with all the trimmings for

350 :rolling_e

·
Registered
126 Posts
Type X said:
On my honda element i got the 791xv installed with all the trimmings for

350 :rolling_e
I don't want to second guess you, but that is really hard to believe. Can you elaborate or provide a copy of your receipt. Don't get me wrong, if you got it installed for $350.00, you really pulled one over on somebody. The 791XV retails for $599.00, so I am sure you understand my reservations since your saying someone took a loss of about $300.00 to install Viper's flagship...

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
caz1604 said:
I don't really understand your question... I also don't know much about the passive alarm you are mentioning. I think u said u paid $600 for it, so I am kind of curious what security features it has.

Edit: Also, when I was referring to the TSX system not having certain security features a conventional aftermarket alarm would. I was referencing the security system that comes standard with the purchase of a TSX, not whatever you purchased additionally for $600.00!
well u see... when u buy the car... it only comes with remote keyless entry.... where if someone broke into ur car would be the only time the horn goes off.... but i got the passive alarm, which theres that 5 tone alarm that goes off when the car is shook or hit or from thunder.... and all programed into the oem remote cuz its factory offered...down side theres no remote start or 2-way indicater.... but my dad did that so thats y i dun wanna waste that money

·
Registered
126 Posts
chyllintsx said:
well u see... when u buy the car... it only comes with remote keyless entry.... where if someone broke into ur car would be the only time the horn goes off.... but i got the passive alarm, which theres that 5 tone alarm that goes off when the car is shook or hit or from thunder.... and all programed into the oem remote cuz its factory offered...down side theres no remote start or 2-way indicater.... but my dad did that so thats y i dun wanna waste that money
That sounds good enough and I wouldn't waste my money either if my pops bought me that!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts