Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I always wondered about this...see, I've seen people changed various parts of their cars with carbon fiber components..and I was wondering how safe is this? I mean, if you think about it..for example, a regular hood is designed to crumple on impact to reduce the chances of injury the occupants of the vehicle. I don't imagine a carbon fiber hood is designed to do that...I mean, could it not break off on impact and cause serious injury? thanks to anyone with any information.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
There is a possiblity, not a factual proven result as there are different type/grades of carbon fibre components.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what I mean is, say, a regular hood is designed to crumple...however, a carbon fiber hood is not (at least I don't think so), wouldn't it be more dangerous when you are in a collision? I mean, since it don't crumple, on impact, it may snap off or shatter and injure you more?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, it will have a significantly greater impact if you hit someone outside. In-car, you're pretty much safe unless you have your windows open or shattered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha nice, thanks for the quick replies...always wanted to know this...cause I would like a carbon fiber hood, but I wouldn't want to get it if I could get into extra trouble if I am involved in a collision (god forbid) lol.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
No probs ... Such products are at the end of the day specifically designed for off-road competition. Not public road use, limiting liabilities especially the human factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts