Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on what causes this? No window tint and seat heaters and defrost are off. I can hear it when radio volume is zero, plus when car is moving and I push accelerator. Also, nothing has been added to radio or speakers.. it’s all factory.

Happy to have my 2005 back after some years with my son. Only issues have been alternator and starter needed to be replaced.

Thank you!

·
Registered
350 Posts
A defective alternator and or poor grounds around the car can create radio noise which can be heard through the speakers. As a test, disconnect the green connector from the back of the alternator. Start the engine and go for a short drive to see if you still get the radio noise. Next task is to hunt down the grounds in the engine bay to make sure they’re either intact or free of heavy corrosion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A defective alternator and or poor grounds around the car can create radio noise which can be heard through the speakers. As a test, disconnect the green connector from the back of the alternator. Start the engine and go for a short drive to see if you still get the radio noise. Next task is to hunt down the grounds in the engine bay to make sure they’re either intact or free of heavy corrosion
Hi, thanks for the advice. I don't think this year TSX has a ground wire on the back of the alternator? I watched a couple of videos on how to replace it and didn't see a separate green ground wire... just 1 plug connection near front and a terminal where the battery is connected. Also, the alternator is new as of a year ago. Regretfully, my son doesn't recall if the static was there before the new alternator. I also only found one ground wire to chassis and it's on tightly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Correct, there is no dedicated ground wire for the alternator as it grounds via the mounting bracket/engine block.

The main chassis ground to battery is near the battery, sounds like you found it and it’s intact. Good. Now you must find where the engine grounds to the body (at the RH motor mount) and the additional engine ground from transmission mount to body.

next, my suggestion was to disconnect the green connector from the back of the alternator with the engine off. Then go for a short drive and listen for the static. If static is still present, it’s not the alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, there is no dedicated ground wire for the alternator as it grounds via the mounting bracket/engine block.

The main chassis ground to battery is near the battery, sounds like you found it and it’s intact. Good. Now you must find where the engine grounds to the body (at the RH motor mount) and the additional engine ground from transmission mount to body.

next, my suggestion was to disconnect the green connector from the back of the alternator with the engine off. Then go for a short drive and listen for the static. If static is still present, it’s not the alternator.

Thanks for the clarification. Just to be 100% certain as I don't want to damage the alternator... disconnect ONLY the green plug connector that has 3-4 wires coming out of it, leave the one to the battery connected... do while the car is off?

Then reconnect once I see whether there's still static? I just want to be 100% certain I don't damage by alternator when it runs w/o the green plug connected. THANK YOU again for your patience and help.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Just to be 100% certain as I don't want to damage the alternator... disconnect ONLY the green plug connector that has 3-4 wires coming out of it, leave the one to the battery connected... do while the car is off?

Then reconnect once I see whether there's still static? I just want to be 100% certain I don't damage by alternator when it runs w/o the green plug connected. THANK YOU again for your patience and help.
Yes, only the green one. Leave the B+ alone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, only the green one. Leave the B+ alone
Followed your instructions. First, I should add there is no static in radio when the engine is off. With the green plug disconnected there was still radio static.

I have found 2 ground wires to chassis. One is on the battery itself. The other is on opposite side near front by power steering reservoir. Both were factory tight.

The radio is stock ie no work done to it since purchase.

The rear windshield where antennae is is original and I don't see any damage to it.

It seems strange that the ground on radio unit would be loose since it's never been taken out or accessed.

It also seems strange that the antennae connection in windshield would be lose. I'm not sure how to check that.. perhaps pop off the window molding?

I'm starting to think I may just have to live with this.. but thanks again for any advice or next steps you can provide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's correct. I just double checked this AM. It's only when the engine is running plus when I step on the gas it becomes louder.

Thanks again for helping me debug this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, no sound with brake pedal. Things that have been replaced over past two years include 1) starter, 2) alternator, 3) passenger window power window motor. Not sure when the sound started happening as my son had and didn't even notice it... although it is very noticeable. Just when engine is running.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi, no sound with brake pedal. Things that have been replaced over past two years include 1) starter, 2) alternator, 3) passenger window power window motor. Not sure when the sound started happening as my son had and didn't even notice it... although it is very noticeable. Just when engine is running.
A couple main items that can create radio noise like that with the engine running is the alternator, chassis ground, and the spark plugs. Now that we’ve eliminated the alternator, and main grounds, perhaps pull a spark plug and note the brand/model currently installed.

You may also want to check the interior harness grounds, namely the ones associated with the radio and amplifier if equipped. I’ll see if I can find a diagram to point you in the direction of those ground locations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts