Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2004 Acura TSX has a random misfire on all Cylinders when I start it. If I press the gas it goes away then when the Rpms drop back down to idle it misfires. If I hold the rpm at like 2k for a while it goes away and I can drive fine. It only happens when the engine is cold. I have new plugs my injectors and coil packs are ok the problem goes away when I add Techron fuel treatment to my gas tank. My mechanic says he thinks something is clogging my intake but I have no clue what it could be. The random misfires only happen when the engine is cold. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Have you taken the front half of the intake manifold off lately? If so and if you didn't replace that gasket that's 1 thing that can cause a ton of small misfires at idle.

Are you getting a check engine light or are they very minor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car used with 182k miles I know the previous owner replaced the rocker arm actuator or something like that. I’m not sure where that is. I don’t see how that can cause misfires tho can you explain for me if it’s not too much.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also experienced misfire issues lately, but it wasn't random like the way you described it. In my case, the engine had a persistent P0301 code. The spark plugs, ignition coils, and fuel pressure checked out fine, but found that injector #1 failed. When I swapped injector #1 with injector #2, the CEL then reported P0302.

Ended up replacing the bad injector with a new one and took the remaining injectors to have them professionally cleaned. That solved the problem and now the car drives like a dream. What was very interesting was how poorly the other 3 injectors performed. Here's the before and after results if you're interested.

#1 (new injector) 310 cc/min, Excellent Spray Pattern --> 310 cc/min,Execellent Spray Pattern
#2 (old injector) 273 cc/min, Dripping Spray Pattern --> 310 cc/min,Exellent Spray Pattern
#3 (old injector) 165 cc/min, Dripping Spray Pattern --> 309 cc/min,Excellent Spray Pattern
#4 (old injector) 244 cc/min, Dripping Spray Pattern --> 310 cc/min, Excellent Spray Pattern

Before pulling the injectors though, I would try the free options first before pulling the injectors for cleaning.

1. Check for air leaks with the vacuum hoses and intake manifold and intake tube as @TSXXXX suggested.
2. Check for air leaks in the PCV hose.
3. Check the fuel pressure. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge tester at your local auto parts store for free.
4. If those all check out, take your injectors to a reputable fuel injector cleaning shop and have them test and clean your injectors. Don't take it to the dealership or a big chain auto repair chain shop as they aren't equipped to do this type of work. You'll need to find a shop that only does fuel injector cleaning and they generally charge $20-$25 per injector. Hopefully the injectors can be cleaned and don't need replacement as OE TSX injectors are very expensive.

Good luck and hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much I’ll definitely look into these suggestions and update the community on my findings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So recently I checked my pending codes and I had a code four cylinder one misfire only but when the car warms up it drives fine. Any ideas on what part or parts I would have to change relating to this? I feel like it would be a fuel injector related issue

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’m a little confused by your last reply. Did you mean that you’re only getting a P0301 code for cylinder 1 misfire?

If that’s the case, you can try swapping injector #1 with injector #2 to see if the misfire code jumps to cylinder 2 (P0302). If that happens then there is for sure something wrong with your fuel injector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah sorry I meant P0301 and I had a problem recently with my injector in cylinder 2 where the inside was defective then I had that replaced and the problem didnt go away

·
Registered
290 Posts
P0301 is a misfire code for cylinder #1 and generally has nothing to do with the injector # 2. If you suspect injector # 1 to have failure, then you can swap with the working injector # 2 to confirm if the misfire code jumps to cylinder # 2 (P0302). If you still get P0301 after swapping the injectors, then the problem likely isn’t injector related.

I know you said that your spark plugs and ignition coils were good, but did you check all of the other tasks I listed with the vacuum leak and fuel pressure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I wasn’t able to as of yet. I don’t believe it’s a vacuum leak because the misfires only happen on startup and after letting the car warm up for an extended period of time it just goes away. One mechanic told me that there could be something in the intake but I’m not so sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts