Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen. I have only had my TSX 5 days and it already has an annoying rattle on the right side of the car. Sometimes it sounds like it's on the right side of the dashboard between the door and dashboard, other times it sounds like it's coming from the right rear. If I tap on the right rear door plastic cover under the window scraper is sounds buzzy and cheap. I think I might actually have two rattles but I know I'm not the only one. I have heard a few people complain about a rattle on the right side. Does anyone out there know what causes this? LannyM...if you are out there, do you know? Also, I bought the car off the showroom floor with two miles. I have babied it the entire way but from day one the clutch has a slight chatter when engaging, anyone out there with manuals have a similar problem?

Thanks,

Ignacio

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
If it's very obvious, go back to the dealer, have a technician sit in the car with you and do a drive.

That's what my dealer did for me, and they found a few possible rattle points and quieted it down.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
JoeB18R said:
if you have clutch chatter, somone may have glazed it on a test drive. Id get that checked out if I were you.
If it was in the showroom with two miles, I doubt it was out for a test drive. I would let it settle for a week or two; when things are brand new, sometimes they just need a little breaking in.....

As far as rattles go, there's a lot of people with them. I've been fortunate in that only when the temp slips down around 0 or below, I get a little of the infamous windshield rattle. If I have the radio on 10 or more, I can't hear it.

I personally would refrain from having techs pull the car apart just yet; my buddy's Pilot has more rattles now then when it went in for a fix, but hey, that's just me.

Every car I've ever owned has had one or another; they're most obvious when new, but they go away over time, either by themselves, or you just stop hearing them.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LannyM, thanks again. I agree with you, whenever they take panels apart, etc. It makes it worse which is why I was hoping that there was a "known" area that I could go straight to and not have everything taken apart. I'll wait on the clutch and try wait on the rattle but it's a bit annoying. My mom drives a Passat and despite their bad reputation, she doesn't have rattles. By the way, if the temperature here in San Diego ever dropped to 0 degrees, we would have a serious crisis. They would probably call out the National Guard and start a rescue operation : ) by the way Lanny, here is picture of my car with the A-Spec Wheels

Red TSX with A-Spec Wheels front corner
Red TSX with A-Spec Wheels rear corner

Ignacio

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my car for 30 days and chatters on the right side too, but managed to track it down to the glove box. If you left it open while driving it stops chattering. I think the handle area is doing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, after my post, I started to also suspect the glove box. I will try leaving it open. I've also found one of the plastic covers on the right rear door that goes inside the interior door handle is very loose and if you tap the inside of the door, it buzzes also.

Ignacio

·
Registered
13 Posts
After hearing all the stories about the dealer not doing a great job to fix this (and ripping your car apart!), I will try a few things to get rid of the chattering. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Possible Solution to Chattering Glove Box

I believe I got the chattering away by inserting insulation tape sponges to each side of the glove box. This will tighten the glove box to the frame when closed. The glove box handle is the same way.

Try using the firmer sponge tapes, that can be found in hardware stores.

These pictures will show what was done. It's a little tacky, but it works. I'm sure you will do a better job than mine. :D

You only stick on what you need, so don't over do it.

Attachments

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
LannyM said:
If it was in the showroom with two miles, I doubt it was out for a test drive. I would let it settle for a week or two; when things are brand new, sometimes they just need a little breaking in.....

As far as rattles go, there's a lot of people with them. I've been fortunate in that only when the temp slips down around 0 or below, I get a little of the infamous windshield rattle. If I have the radio on 10 or more, I can't hear it.

I personally would refrain from having techs pull the car apart just yet; my buddy's Pilot has more rattles now then when it went in for a fix, but hey, that's just me.

Every car I've ever owned has had one or another; they're most obvious when new, but they go away over time, either by themselves, or you just stop hearing them.......

regardlessof break in or not the clutch should be chattering. the only reason why its doing this, other then installing a super stiff multi puck clutch is having glazed the dick surface. If that isnt the case then there is some factory defect. Either way it should be replaced without cost to you by the dealer.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
JoeB18R said:
regardlessof break in or not the clutch should be chattering. the only reason why its doing this, other then installing a super stiff multi puck clutch is having glazed the dick surface. If that isnt the case then there is some factory defect. Either way it should be replaced without cost to you by the dealer.
I agree it shouldn't be doing it, but I had a WRX, a car that, like all Subies, was known for clutch chatter. Mine did it only twice, both within the first couple of weeks of driving. I waiting to see if it would become annoying enough to risk having a dealer yank it apart, but it never did it again.

It's not like its going to leave you stranded if not tended to, or damage anything else; so I would wait and see how bad it is before going under the knife......

Nachob, those pics are AWESOME. What finish/size are those A-specs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lanny, the finish is the 200B part number. I'm not sure what it's called but it's a dark chrome. They are the A-Spec TSX 17x7.5 wheels. I thought they were a little bling at first but now that I'm used to them they make the car look more masculine than the stock units. I reused the stock tires in order to save a little money for now. As soon as they get any wear, I want to replace them also and get tires with a lip protection bulge. The stock tires don't have these. If anyone wants a good deal on tires in SoCal let me know. If someone wanted a perfect set of used tires for $200, I'll sell them and get me some sport tires. These are actually pretty good tires. I haven't pushed them at all since I'm taking it easy on the car but they are not as bad as I was expecting them to be.

Ignacio

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, thanks for the pictures of the glove box fix. I will try that. I also found that the plastic trim piece that goes inside the door handle recess buzzes if you tap on the door. I will take it to the dealer and have it replaced since the three other ones fit snugly. Only one fits loosely.

I'm going to wait on the clutch a bit too to see if it settles itself out. I would rather not have the car taken apart just yet. Before I bought mine, I test drove many cars, BMW, Mazda 3, Subaru Legacy GT, Subaru WRX STI and two TSXs. The only one that chattered when new was the Mazda 6 that I drove. I'm also nervous about going into the dealership because those guys always blame the drivers and I'm scared I might go Ape $h1t Postal on them, because I have absolutely babied the car and especially the clutch in the 7 days I have owned it and if they insinuate that I did something to make the clutch chatter I am going to get very angry, so I just hope it goes away. I had that happen with my wife's Subaru Wagon. She is a Kindergarten teacher and the mellowest driver I know. One day when I drove her car when we took a trip, the brakes were warped and front and back linings were gone after only 29,000 miles. I took it in under the bumper to bumper warranty and they told me that I was driving too aggresively and warped and wore the brakes down and Subaru would not warranty them. Anyway, one call to 1-800-Subaru took care of that but not before really irritating me. I'm nervous that Acura will try the same crap on me with the clutch. This is my first Honda, though I have always like them a lot. With all the hype about Honda quality you hear every day, I never expected the rattles, etc. I guess in the end, it's a very good car, but it's still basically a car.

Ignacio

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same intermittent rattle around the glovebox. I traced it down to the glovebox latch assembly being loose in the glovebox door. The latch assembly is built-in to the glovebox door and does not appear to be replaceable. I noticed the sound would always go away when the glovebox door was open. When I tried knocking on the glovebox door around the latch when the door is closed, I was able to replicate the rattling sound. I checked some other TSXs that did not have the rattle and found the knock test generated a more solid sound. In the end, the dealer replaced the glovebox under warranty and the problem has been solved (so far).

-Gary

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my car 2 months. I wouldn't say I have a rattle, it's more of a creaking sound (kinda like plastic/vynl) rubbing. It occurs when I hit small bumps...but it's not consistent. I can't pinpoint it.. somewhere on the front ride side. maybe where the side airbag and windshield meet? or in the dash. it's annoying. i turn up the radio..but i can still hear it. anyone else have this? get it fixed by the dealer? just afraid things will be made worse. but it's annoying.. especially after spending so much on the car.

i checked the glovebox...so rattle there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts