Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
San Ramon TSX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rattling sound coming from the door area. I read somewhere the door lock button rattles on the TSX? Has anyone else experienced this or know about this? It is just annoying because the car is so well-built and I'm surprised to have this. Thanks....

G

·
I just got my TSX today and I noticed a rattle sound coming from the passanger's side door panel. First I thought it was the speaker but by pushing the panel the noise went away (for now)

·
Registered
8 Posts
rattle

I have a rattle that at first sounded like it might be in the driver's side door. However, I tracked it down to the plastic cover under the left hand side of the dash. It appears to cover some wiring and is not very secure. A piece of duck tape will suffice until I get to the dealer. You may want to check this cover in case it's not really the door.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Rattles

The consensus on rattles seems to be that the window rolls up "too tight." This causes something in the door to deflect and rattle.

The solution is to roll the window up and then back it down just a tad and the rattling stops. Others seem to have solved this problem by lubricating the seal and/or by tightening things in the door panel.

Id try the back it off approach first.

Good luck.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
The consensus on rattles seems to be that the window rolls up "too tight." This causes something in the door to deflect and rattle.

The solution is to roll the window up and then back it down just a tad and the rattling stops. Others seem to have solved this problem by lubricating the seal and/or by tightening things in the door panel.

Id try the back it off approach first.

Good luck.
Welcome, Mark! Yes, that has seemed to be one of the things, but only one. It seems there are numerous possible sources/locations for the rattles, but yes indeed, this has been one of the main ones.

In fact, I wondered if maybe a reason I haven't had any rattles is that I often routinely have the window open just a crack (I mean, that's just how I like to have it a lot of the time). That means I'm constantly going through this maneuver that you mention, just as a matter of routine, and I wonder if that prevents/cures any possible rattles coming from there.

A couple of other things about the rattles:

(1) It seems there's a slight trend toward less and less of the newer TSX's having rattles. It's nowhere near to a clear or sure thing, but it does seem that posts and poll results from new people are showing less and less of a rattle problem.
Which would suggest that Honda/Acura has been ironing out the problem as they go along.
And that the problem will be greatly decreased for the '05 cars.
I almost said "nonexistent," but that would be impossible because I don't think there's any model that's totally free of a rattle problem.

(2) Besides the apparent trend that the newer TSX's are getting better, I still wonder if to some extent it has also been a "batch by batch" thing, with some batches being OK and others not.
Particularly, the absence of rattles in my car despite it being one of the earlier TSX's (#2754), together with the apparent fact that the rattle problem has been reported in few if any of the early TSX's of my specific configuration -- CB/Ebony 5AT w Nav -- which, if true, could ONLY (I think) be explained by the "batch" theory.

So, in addition to all else, let me wonder out loud again:

Has ANYBODY with one of the earlier cars of this config (CB/Ebony 5AT Nav, VIN# about 5000 or lower) had a rattle problem?
Or with any VIN#?

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
larchmont said:
Has ANYBODY with one of the earlier cars of this config (CB/Ebony 5AT Nav, VIN# about 5000 or lower) had a rattle problem?
Or with any VIN#?
:attention

I got the same exact configuration but the VIN is 17803. I have one minor rattle coming from the Center Stack (the area surrounding "Not An Ashtray"). It hasn't bothered me enough for me to fix it myself nor take it back to the dealership for service. I don't think I heard/read anyone else complaining about the rattles coming from that same exact area.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Those of you with the rattle's, did you notice them on your test drive? Or did they start later down the road?
Thanks!!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Joker said:
Those of you with the rattle's, did you notice them on your test drive? Or did they start later down the road?
Thanks!!
Get a load of that avatar!

Wow!!!

Uh, what was the question? :D

How can you expect us to pay attention when there's a great avatar like that? :festive:

P.S. Mine didn't start until they worked on it in the shop last week. :eek:

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Joker said:
Thanks!!
I did not notice the rattle during the test drive but did noticed it while driving it home from the dealership (bumpier roads).

Like many others with similar problems, the rattles come and go. Also, the temperature plays a factor too.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
The reason I ask is that I bought an 04 TL (6 speed w/navi), and the rattle's/vibration's throughout the car are so bad (car has been back to the dealer 3 times in 2 months) that Acura has offered to buy the car back.
With that said, chances are very good that I will buy a TSX, and I do not want to go through the same thing again.
Thanks again for the replies! Please keep them coming.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Joker said:
Thanks for the replies!
The reason I ask is that I bought an 04 TL (6 speed w/navi), and the rattle's/vibration's throughout the car are so bad (car has been back to the dealer 3 times in 2 months) that Acura has offered to buy the car back.
With that said, chances are very good that I will buy a TSX, and I do not want to go through the same thing again.
Holy Frick!

For those who are perhaps wondering if I've lost my decorum: "Frick" is an art museum in Manhattan. Great little museum.
Too bad it's on the East Side. asdfg

It was also the name of the commissioner of baseball in the '50's and early '60's. He was a real Frick too. :D

Isn't this the first we've heard of Acura offering to buy someone's car back b/c rattles?
What are they offering you? I hope it's not 17K or something stupid like that.

BTW I traded in my '03 TL-S to get the TSX. One of the several reasons I was glad to be getting rid of the TL-S was.....RATTLES! :donno:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
larchmont said:
What are they offering you? I hope it's not 17K or something stupid like that.
Well, right now the situation is ongoing. I'll be happy to post when everything is said and done. For now lets say that they are offering more then they paid for the car, but less then I payed. As of right now, I have not agreed to their offer. I'll keep you posted.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Joker said:
Thanks for the replies!
Hey Joker,

Hate to say this but I'm not sure the TSX is the right car for you.

Don't get me wrong. The TSX is a great car but it isn't rattle-free either. Polls from various forums show that the existence of rattle problems are quite possible, if not probable with the TSX.

From what you said about your TL, I get the feeling you don't have high tolerance for rattles. I don't know how the rattles in TL compare to the TSX but both models have shown that rattles have been more than just isolated cases. Perhaps the TL you purchased was an extreme case of a car rattling.

Before you sign on the dotted line, I recommend you thoroughly look into the TSX rattles, take precautionary steps to work out a situation with the dealership in case rattles do appear, and know exactly what you are signing up for. It would be a shame to make the same mistake twice.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, let me put in a more optimistic vote. :donno:

My impression is that the more recent TSX's seem less likely to have rattles. The impression is based on two things:

(1) Seemingly fewer and fewer complaints about rattles from new buyers

(2) A decreasing percentage of "yes" votes in polls about rattles

I'm not saying it's a huge trend or even a clear one, but I do think it's happening.

If so, his odds might be pretty good. Also I got the feeling that he does know about the rattle problem in TSX's.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
Yes I have been doing a lot of research on the TSX. One thing I have on my side, is time.
It looks like Acura may have my TL ready for me to pick up tomorrow, as they called me today to fill me in on their progress. I am actually looking forward to getting the TL back, as I feel naked without my navi (they gave me an RSX as a loner).
So tomorrow may be judgment day, as far as what my next step will be. They claim everything will be fixed, but that is what they said last time. We'll see...
Back to the topic.. In the event I decide to give them the TL back, and get into a TSX, you can bet I'll be taking it on a serious road test before buying it. ;)
I'll be sure and keep everyone posted :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the first time I have responded with a post to this site...as a TSX owner since July (one of the first shipped) I was mostly just staying aware of new news and updates from other owners. But I can stay silent no longer. This whole rattle thing is REAL and, on a car like this...REAL ANNOYING.

This is my fourth Acura. My last a 99 Integra GS-R. Loved that car. Rough ride. But fast as hell. Tight. And in Supersonic Blue paint quite the looker.

The TSX was supposed to be a major step up. Plush yet sporty...which helps on these lousy NE roads. But at 5k miles, it rattles more than my Integra did at 50k! Dash rattle under 35 degrees -- yep. A clicking sound. Annoying. Door rattle passenger side -- yep. Coming from the speakers and the wood door trim. Hear it on rougher surfaces -- mostly every road in my area. Very Annoying.

But the winner by far -- and one that I haven't seen much on is the squeaking noise that I am getting from the rear passenger seat/deck area. I can't find it. And its constant! Over any type of road surface...rough, smooth, whatever. As long as it is over 40 degrees outside...its there. I turn the music up but I know its there...naturally I listen for it...and you don't have to listen hard. It's pretty prevalent. I gave someone a ride the other day and they commented on it...disappointing given the perception of high quality the car conveys...it would drive any sane person to drink.

Anyone know where to focus? Seat belt mechanism? seats? I checked the rear fold-down latches and they seem cool. Larch -- any ideas? I don't see this one talked about much. I called the dealer, but they are in no hurry to get to it. I am however.

(ps - As for the rolling down the windows advice. My buddy has an A4. Nothing but a loaded up Jetta in my mind. Not a big fan of VW. But the inside is quiet. Not a peep. I know he doesn't have to roll down the windows everytime he gets in the car. Come on. Shouldn't we expect more from Acura at this point?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts