Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2004 TSX with 56,700 miles. I bought it at 49,000 miles.

So far I have had two roof leaks fixed..
The alternator died and was replaced..
-through the process of this dying alternator I lost 3 Optima Yellowtop batteries
The brake rotors have been replaced after they were grinding..
Before they were replaced they have been machined multiple times due to warping..

And most recently the whole car vibrates...front and rear. I brought it to Firestone and they would fix the vibration and balance the wheels and I would drive the car home and everything was fine. Then, the day after, I would drive the car to find that the wheels are magically out of balance again; vibrating on the front and rear. I went back multiple times with the same result.. I went back only because they wouldn't charge me to come back. So after growing sick with Firestone's ineptness to fix my dilemma I went to Discount Tire because I had good experiences there with my '01 Toyota Camry I used to have. There was uneven wear on both tires. The rear tires were some obscure "Primewell" brand that came with the car when I bought it. I had already put nice Michelin Pilots on the front. So I elected to replace these hard-riding Primewells with new Michelin Pilots. I think this is going to be great! So I bring the car to get aligned after Discount does the work.. Alignment is minty fresh and drives beautifully. I paid 700 dollars in one day to get all of this fixed. 2 days later and the car vibrates in the front and rear. Same vibration as before this 700 dollar adventure.

After all of these issues I am done with this car and probably done with the Honda/Acura name for a long time. This car has done little to convince me that it is truly dependable. I bought this car because it appeared to be an upgrade from my Camry.. a 4 door sedan that can move quicker and has better safety features. But I am ready to get back in the peace of mind of a Toyota.

Are there any suggestions/swaying comments people can give me before I post an ad on Craigslist?

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
A bunch of us TSXers have this vibration problem of various year models. Some say it's due to the axles, while others have swapped the axles and still have the vibration. I've got about 78,000 miles on my odometer and other then the vibration problem I've recently had, I've only had to replace my rack/pinion box.

·
Un-Civil Engineer
2,205 Posts
My car has the vibration too. I have tried balancing, alignments, and rotor work to fix the problem but nothing has worked.

Its not too severe though, but its annoying for this type of vehicle. I agree with MmsTSX in that I will never buy the first model year of a car again!

·
雪彫刻専家
316 Posts
damn.. hope this won't be a problem for my 06... i'm gonna be super bummed out.

·
porkchop
1,390 Posts
i have the a vibration problem and i have an 06 but now it has become on and off

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought my 2004 in August 2003 so I think I have one of the earliest examples. It just went over 106k miles and is one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. I had the rotors replaced due to warping and my headunit display failed but I have had no major mechanical issue. I am more inclined to think the PO of your car either did not maintain it or drove it hard. Have you checked your wheel bearings? (do the shake test with the wheels off the ground) While the advice to never buy a car in its first model year has some merit, I think the first generation TSX was sold in Japan and Europe as the Accord for almost two years before rebadging it for US sale. My advice is that if you buy any used car, you should have thorough maintenance records and a PPI or know the PO personally

·
Registered
817 Posts
did you get a Carfax?? Maybe the car could have frame damage and can never be properly aligned. That sucks because I've never had any major issues with any of my Hondas

·
Registered
28 Posts
My car only has vibration problems at idle and with the A/C on. The Camry is definitely a smoother and quiter car. I'm most probably go back to a Camry with my next car.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
I didn't have problems with my 04. I traded it in with 189km approx. 117 439 miles, and it was still running strong

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I purchased the vehicle from a reputable local high end leasing shop. I double checked with my trusted body shop mechanic who has been in the local automotive service industry for 30 years and he was very confident that they wouldn't give me a mistreated car. Clean Carfax with 0 body damage. There's nothing crazy that happened to this car that should warrant this kind of performance.

However I did bring the car back to Discount Tire and they rotated the tires for free.. Thus having the new Michelins on the front and the 6 month old Michelins with excessive wear on the back. This significantly improved this vibration issue. However this is only day 2 so I will keep a close eye on the situation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go to a trusted mechanic and let him check ball joints control arms ETC. Honestly my 08 tsx hasn't really been reliable either in 1.5 years i went to the service like 5 times with problems more then 2 pages. As i am typing i am in a loaner car right now with my car at service 2 full pages of problem. Talking about axels mine started clicking. But i haven't really noticed a vibration. I wish u the best of luck but a used car is a USED car. U if it was leased then expect it to be all beaten on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts