Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

what sort of figure do you think i will be around after ive fitted everything?

heres a list of evertything i will have fitted when i have it dyno tuned.

J35 TB
RBC IM with thermal gaskets.
06 intake cam
45* VTC
custom CAI with K&N
WeaponR header with 2.5" catback
flashpro

this is on euro K24A3 not sure if that makes much difference if any

what do you all reckon?

i was thinking maybe it might be around 230ish??

i will be getting it dyno tuned so i will know for definite after and i will post the results of course :)

also something thats just popped into my mind.

what about a short ram or a cold air for the intake?
would either suit this setup better??? either one better for torque?

thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm pretty sure your expectations are about right. With it being a k24a3 motor I'm not 100% sure of all the differences but either way you should be close to your 230whp mark with your mods and a good tune. I say 230 with a over/under of 15. Either way it should make a night and day difference with the way the car performs. I can't wait to get mine done, I have almost the same mods list laying around my house, just waiting on the ability to afford to get it tuned. Good luck!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure your expectations are about right. With it being a k24a3 motor I'm not 100% sure of all the differences but either way you should be close to your 230whp mark with your mods and a good tune. I say 230 with a over/under of 15. Either way it should make a night and day difference with the way the car performs. I can't wait to get mine done, I have almost the same mods list laying around my house, just waiting on the ability to afford to get it tuned. Good luck!
yea i think our motor is pretty much exactly the same as the 04 tsx a2

would be nice to get 240 from the 2.4

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
240 is possible, but your going to start getting close to knocking. Its also fairly cool in the UK atm so Id asume your going to make some good power. GL post the results, dont cheap on your tune, its the life of your motor!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
240 is possible, but your going to start getting close to knocking. Its also fairly cool in the UK atm so Id asume your going to make some good power. GL post the results, dont cheap on your tune, its the life of your motor!
its summer time here atm :laugh:

but yea the UK never gets very warm anyway, its currently 17 degrees Celsius outside :laugh: pathetic !

ahh im taking it to a highly recommended tuners who tune K's all the time so should be good.

wont be for a month or two yet though so it will be even cooler by then

why do you start knocking when you get upto 240 ish then??

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Good question? I haven't heard of anyone in that power range with bolt ons having any knocking problems.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Generally knocking is caused by detonation, but can be mistaken by pre-ignition.

Detonation: Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition: Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Either way they are both very bad.

Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition by Allen W. Cline

Its actually very easy to make a stock motor on pump gas knock, I reccomend you fully understand everything in that link. the last 5hp is generally not worth it on a NA stock motor

EDIT: It is 100% dependent on the tune

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Generally knocking is caused by detonation, but can be mistaken by pre-ignition.

Detonation: Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition: Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Either way they are both very bad.

Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition by Allen W. Cline

Its actually very easy to make a stock motor on pump gas knock, I reccomend you fully understand everything in that link. the last 5hp is generally not worth it on a NA stock motor

EDIT: It is 100% dependent on the tune
man thats a lot to read.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Ok so it's not something that happens because of raised hp level, it's a tuning issue.

Good information

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its caused by adding more air into the cylinder which leans the current "stock tune" without either giving the motor more fuel to correct a lean condition or backing off timing from a knocking/detonation condition. In some instances both.

This is why when you search around forums you will see certain mods done requiring a tune. It doesnt matter what kind of car. And when not tuned those setups dont last long.

Your car will run thinking its in stock form until you tell it otherwise via tunable ecu of some sort. This is why the furthest you ever want to take a car is basic bolt ons without a tune. Any time you alter the amount of air entering an engine, you're going to want to tell it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks some good info there.

Are there any other mods I could do with all this to improve power

Any recommendations ? What about exhaust cam?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
if your going to go through all the trouble to change cams, why not get an upgraded SET of cams? There is alot of information over k20a.org on cams.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I understand that. From what I have been reading the 07-08 tsx cams are some of the more agressive for the k24. This comes from Import Tuner magazine. Might want to look into a set.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.