Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fresh As F*uck
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently changed my rotors in the rear and noticed uneven wear on my pads. The left side seemed to eat from the top more and less at the bottom and the right side the outer pad was being used and the inner barely touch the rotors. I also notice when i get off the brake pedel slowly from a complete stop the car feels like its going to stall or it shakes until i get off the brakes. Random time's when i brake heavy i get alot of vibrations in the steering wheel.

I went to the dealership and they advised me either i can get a rebuild kit and change both calipers in the rear since apparently its a known issue.

I just wanted to get feedback from you guys if you guys had a similar issue and what should i do.

·
Fresh As F*uck
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ yup I did that as well and the problem was not solved. I also noticed one side in the rear, the brakes where much hotter. I cheked the brake pads once again and they were still eating unevenly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, as known first gen at least TSX brake pads are so small and they were out much faster. It is also important to ensure they are lined up correctly (ie the pin on back of pad lines up with x groove cut into part that pushed the brake pad into the rotors. Finally, I had this still on one side. I found even with new grease the caliper wouldn't spring out. It helped greatly by getting a screwdriver and cleaning out the old grease. This truly was a first gen at least engineering mistake... ie putting such small brake pads on rear which means they wear out much faster than ones with more surface area.

·
Registered
253 Posts
TK987 makes a very good point. If the pistons in the caliper are not aligned with the pins on the rear pads then your pads will not seat flat and thus wear your pads and calipers unevenly. This happened to me the only time I had someone else service my rear brakes.

If someone has already determined that your calipers are an issue then I woiuld certainly look at the slide pins to see if they are gummed before rebuilding the whole caliper. If the slide pins are overlooked during pad replacement then the grease gets baked with all the heat cycles and affects the pad/caliper retraction. They use hi-temp caliper grease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts