Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
h1e1l1p

HI guys!
Ive read similar situation involving the Rear Camber in the TSX. I currently have a 05 TSX and recently had a courtesy oil change and Tire rotation from Goodyear. Everything went smooth and saucy until they found a problem when rotating the tires.

On the Front left tires; they found peeling of the tires on the thread area inside, where it wasnt visible. So they continued with the rotation and now that tire that has some peeling is now on the Rear left.

When consulting with me about that situation, they offered me a free 21 point inspection and found that my wheels were out of alignment,mainly in the rear. And I was recommended to buy a camber arm which from them cost $175, UNadjustable. But I decided to stop the inspection from there and shop for a camber that would best suit the needs.
I do have to admit that the rear axle of my car looks really unaligned, b/c the rear tires looks similar to these / \ slashes.

Here are the copy of the specs from the alignment:
Front left:
Front Right:
Camber: .4
Caster:2.4
Toe: -.17

Rear Left:
Rear Right:
Camber: -1.7
Toe: -.05

First and foremost my question is: Is the rear really bad and unaligned from the specs above?
What type of camber is at a good price around $100 that are adjustable?
Are the front wheels adjustable to be aligned?

Oh! anyone knows the reason why my front left tires suddenly had peelings on the threads?

Any help on this matter would really help thanks!

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
IMO, negative camber isnt that bad. But negative camber with out of spec Toe is terrible. If you dont drive like a bat out of hell all the time negative camber wont significantly reduce your tire life (it still will, but not real real bad). The toe however will wear tires out really fast.

I would take your car to another shop that does alignments and have them take a look at it. Most shops will set your car up and take a look at it for free. The other shop may have just been trying to make money off of you.

·
我々は火事を&#
0 Posts
Camber out that much is odd. I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than 2º in the rear if even that. If you have warranty tires they have a valid case to cancel that warranty. Ingalls has cheap adjustable kits. If you are lowered you really should get a pair, if stock suspension still, I'd still recommend adjustable kits. I don't think they are more than 150 and you are then set up for future changes should you choose to lower a bit.

To h22a above, negative camber affects cars LESS if it IS driven like a bat out of hell. It hurts tire wearing if it is driven casually. Hence why circuit drivers want negative camber and the tires still wear modestly evenly.

OP: here's a link to a forum vendors' page: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=50002&cat=654&page=1 Looks like they are 150 for both wheels in the rear. And checkout coupon code for another 5%.

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
If you ever goto your local dealership, try to talk to them as there's a TSB 06-007 for the right rear camber affecting the following models:

2004 TSX – ALL
2005 TSX – From VIN JH4CL9...5C000001 Thru JH4CL9...5C015076

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
it is 75 for one side. so it would be 150 total.

Set the front toe to 0 on both sides. Something is definitely going on in the back. Its actually not that far from my specs but i'm assuming you're not lowered. If both your rear camber was -1.7, the specs aren't that bad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As HoRRo says check the TSB with the dealership. I have an '06 and
had the right upper arm replaced under warranty about three weeks ago.

From TSB:
DIAGNOSIS
Check the right rear wheel camber:
• If the right rear wheel camber is greater than -1° 30′
but less than -2° 15′, replace the right rear upper
arm. See REPAIR PROCEDURE.
• If the camber is greater than -2° 15′, check for bent
or damaged chassis and suspension components
and repair as necessary.

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Failed Part: P/N 52390-SEA-013
Defect Code: 00401
Symptom Code: 00101
Skill Level: Repair Technician

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for your quick responses!

Tom since I have a day off I will stop by my dealer to check up on the this TSB that ya'll mentioned.

I have a 05 one and got it as a Pre-cert 2yrs ago (2008). Think im still warrantied for this situation that I have? I currently have this Fidelity warranty, tho its only for powertrain only.

OP: here's a link to a forum vendors' page: HeelToe Automotive Looks like they are 150 for both wheels in the rear. And checkout coupon code for another 5%.
In your opinion, would it be a great decision to buy the ingalls kit now? ive already have been looking at them for awhile.

HoRRo and Chelsea John could you please tell me more information about this TSB so I would know what im talking about and listening when I talk to the dealer? Thank you!

Im not planning on lowering my car since im planning on replacing my stockies with 18's that are lightweight. Good idea?

Please more input the better I know more of my car. And my greatest gratitude for all of your help!

:newbie: Yes I am..Big time XD

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
Thank you very much for your quick responses!

Tom since I have a day off I will stop by my dealer to check up on the this TSB that ya'll mentioned.

I have a 05 one and got it as a Pre-cert 2yrs ago (2008). Think im still warrantied for this situation that I have? I currently have this Fidelity warranty, tho its only for powertrain only.

In your opinion, would it be a great decision to buy the ingalls kit now? ive already have been looking at them for awhile.

HoRRo and Chelsea John could you please tell me more information about this TSB so I would know what im talking about and listening when I talk to the dealer? Thank you!

Im not planning on lowering my car since im planning on replacing my stockies with 18's that are lightweight. Good idea?

Please more input the better I know more of my car. And my greatest gratitude for all of your help!

:newbie: Yes I am..Big time XD
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

You can download and print this off when talking/going to the dealership. Since you bought the car pre-cert from a dealer, I would say it's very likely that they would goodwill the repair for you even if you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any other format that you can provide HoRRo?
Dnt have a rapidshare acct.

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
To h22a above, negative camber affects cars LESS if it IS driven like a bat out of hell. It hurts tire wearing if it is driven casually. Hence why circuit drivers want negative camber and the tires still wear modestly evenly.
I understand what you are saying. (begin opinion) However a vehicle that is babied around at low speed, low acceleration, and low cornering speed will barely wear tires significantly less even if the tires/suspension are moderately out of alignment, because there is less load on the tires. IMO you are somewhat comparing apples to oranges, as the demands of a circuit car are very differnet from a street car. They are driven under significantly high load at all times and they may achieve even wear but it is still extremely high wear when compared to any street car.

I base this opinion from personal experience. When i lowered my accord my alignment was about: (im pretty sure the numbers are close, but it was a long time ago)

Front camber -1.7
Rear camber -1.0
Rear toe -1.4

My mom drove the car for 1 month in this state and wore out about 40% of the tread on a new set of tires. However when i drove it I wore out a full set of tires in a month's time. Why i didnt align it is a long story for another time.

At the end of the day it is probably better just to invest in the camber adjument kit. (Assuming you are stock height) you will be able to fix your alignment now and still be able to fix it should you decide to lower the car later.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
H22 this might sound like a truly noob question. But I noticed that there are 4 or 5 arms in the rear. and from what Im gettin 1 arm comes in a pack if I were to buy one right? or Do I just change 1 arm really in the rear?

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
there are several different ways to get adjustable camber. some kits adjust mounting points of the suspension parts, some allow the expansion of them. If you adjust either the top or the bottom in or out you will gain adjustable camber. Just take into consideration that the further you have to adjust camber the further out the other parts of your suspension may be (toe etc.). This is usually only a problem with SOME one piece kits for the rear. Consult a reputable aftermarket pars dealer (like marcus from heeltoe). They should be able to answer any specific questions you may have.

Heres a pic that shows what the different parts of the rear suspension (passenger side) are. This way you will be able to ask questions about specific parts of the suspension. Also, search around in the suspension forum there is a plethora of great information there on aftermarket parts and experiences with them.

Edit: sorry i didnt actually answer your question. some kits come with only one arm and some come with several. (i have not purchased suspension adjustment for my tsx) IMO would buy one of the multi arm kits to allow the maximum adjustment for not only camber but toe as well. You should take a look in the suspension forum, so you can get advice from people who have actually used the products. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol did that but it wouldnt pass through. it says that alot of ppl might be DLing alot of stuff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.