Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller. My rear left brake has worn fairly quickly and it is now time to replace. I took the old brakes off and I'm going to compress the piston by turning it. I haven't had to use a cube tool in the past, but this one won't budge with my crowbar.

Closer examination reveals a decent amount of rust on the exposed surfaces of the piston, not just the front.

Will purchasing a cube tool help me or do I need to go ahead and get a new caliper?

·
-
1,750 Posts
Are you trying to turn the rear caliper piston with a crowbar, or are you trying to compress it with a crowbar?

The rear calipers will NOT compress without turning them in.
The cube caliper piston turning tools are not that strong if the piston has seized. Don't put an impact wrench on it!

For the brakes wearing quickly on 1 side, if the caliper sliders are rusty/stiff/seized that will also cause a dragging caliper.

You don't mention the other rear brake but you should always service brakes in pairs and replace brake parts in pairs.
You should also check out the front brakes while you have the rear brakes apart.

And then bleed all the brakes with fresh clean brake fluid also. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calgary that is great, yet depressing, information. I really don’t want to have to replace the caliper. Luckily I currently work from home and have another means of transportation but not what I’d like to be spending money on and also not really looking forward to waiting for calipers to get in. I have used a crow bar in past to rotate these types of pistons but it’s not budging currently.

I have the second rotor and set of pads in the box ready for whenever I’m done with this one. Guess I should check it now and see if it is also seized. Just would prefer not to replace ANY of them. If the amount of rust on one compared to the other is any indication I might be ok with the rear passenger side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts