Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why TSXs in Canada are available with a rear-seat DVD system, but not in the US? It's pretty pricey (CDN$2,946 as a dealer-installed option), but I didn't even know about this until after I had purchased my TSX in the US.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is offered in the US. I was offered the system when I bought mine but wasn't about to spend the $2400 for it. It's an all-in-one 7" widescreen w/ built in DVD flipdown. IMO it's ugly as hell. You can get one hell of a nice aftermarket system installed for that kind of dough!

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
agree, better be willing to "give it away" when you sell the car.

btw welcome to the Club, rabbit & radio :wavey:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am going back to my dealer this weekend to get my DVD kit installed. Since the OEM headrests are too narrow in the back and to avoid cutting into your headrests. They use a company called Myron and Davis who sell the screens already housed in the headrests. The DVD player is installed upfront under the Navi in the first compartment. The kit comes w/ two 7 inch screens, DVD player, TV tuner, wireless headsets and a 3 year warranty. For the kit and labor, out the door I am paying $1688. Yeah the screens are not Alpine or Eclipse, but the price is right for the product and I get my OEM headrests to store until I sell the car.

I agree with what radiodr said, the Acura package is very ugly, too expensive and set at a bad viewing angle due to the moonroof.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
caz1604 said:
I am going back to my dealer this weekend to get my DVD kit installed. Since the OEM headrests are two narrow in the back and to avoid cutting into your headrests. They use a company called Myron and Davis who sell the screens already housed in the headrests. The DVD player is installed upfront under the Navi in the first compartment. The kit comes w/ two 7 inch screens, DVD player, TV tuner, wireless headsets and a 3 year warranty. For the kit and labor, out the door I am paying $1688. Yeah the screens are not Alpine or Eclipse, but the price is right for the product and I get my OEM headrests to store until I sell the car.

I agree with what radiodr said, the Acura package is very ugly, too expensive and set at a bad viewing angle due to the moonroof.
Not true. I've seen several people with LCD setups in the stock headrests. I'll find you pics...

·
Registered
126 Posts
joerockt said:
Not true. I've seen several people with LCD setups in the stock headrests. I'll find you pics...
What size? It would probably have to be a 5 inch screen! I would also love to see a pic!

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
screw the stock 2400$$ crap... get a dvd player...throw it in the dash like i am... n then get 2 headrest monitors

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm also installing two LCD 5 inch monitors on the headrest. I have a factory DVD player that im planning to install in the first compartment (in the front). I have seen some people do the install and it looks great.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
caz1604 said:
What size? It would probably have to be a 5 inch screen! I would also love to see a pic!
Sorry guys, there were a couple of people I remember on another board that had it, but the links to their pics are dead.

I could PM them I guess...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I read on another site about a guy who has 5 inch screens in his headrests, but the links were dead as well. The benefit with the prehoused aftermarket headrests I am getting is they have 7 inch screens in them. They are a dead match for my ebony interior and I don't have to cut into my OEM headrest so if sell down the line, I can retain my investment without having to buy replacement OEM headrests. ($255.34 a piece)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Keep in mind the Myron and Davis headrests are not the same size or shape as your stock headrests. They are all the same size for all applications, just come in different matching coverings. Thought I'd mention it because it bugs some people. Those monitors are nice though. They have a tilt feature that allows for better viewing if the person in the front seat has the seat recilned a bit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
radiodr said:
Keep in mind the Myron and Davis headrests are not the same size or shape as your stock headrests. They are all the same size for all applications, just come in different matching coverings. Thought I'd mention it because it bugs some people. Those monitors are nice though. They have a tilt feature that allows for better viewing if the person in the front seat has the seat recilned a bit.
Yeah, I realize the headrests are not the same size and/or shape. I honestly never lean my head against the headrest anyway! As long as the leather matches and it doesn't look awkward, I am good to go. Nice to know that the monitors are good and I was told about the tilt feature which seems pretty cool! The price is right, so I am not complaining.

The only thing that has changed with my order is that I am getting a different kit that has the DVD player built into the headrest. You load them in from the side instead and the player sits flush. This is great for me because I am mainly getting the system for my little girl. So now she can load whatever movie she wants without having to go through me!

I dropped off my car about two hours ago so they can tint my car, take care of a hail dent I found and remove some shipping glue off the car tomorrow. Then I pick up the car on Saturday then have to rush back to San Antonio to get my alarm installed. I have an appointment scheduled to install the DVD system next Friday, so I will post pictures of the finished product the following day.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I said I would, attached are pictures of the DVD kit I installed in my baby...only a day earlier! Other than tint, alarm and this new DVD kit, I have not really done much. Afterall, I have only had it since the 7th of this month! 1blue1.gif

My 05 Black on Black 6-Speed Navi (Seen 1 stock TSX, seen em all)

View of the screens from outside!

7'' Screens set in aftermarket headrests

I don't think they look bad at all! Comments please?

Pic of the Navi and the and center dash area

I love where the DVD player is located...

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
caz1604 that's very impressive what you got there.

The only thing that has changed with my order is that I am getting a different kit that has the DVD player built into the headrest.
So this did not happen right ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
caz1604 that's very impressive what you got there.

So this did not happen right ?
Correct. It is a long story...but basically my sales guy at the dealership didn't know jack and he didn't follow-up with me. So, I got worried and started looking into it. I wanted to see what the Myron and Davis Kit with the built in DVD player looked like so I called M&D and they told me it doesn't exist until June. I told him my dealer told me the stand alone DVD kit wasn't available because it was recalled, and then he bit my head off telling me none of their products have ever been recalled.

So I call the shop that is doing the install for my dealer and my contact said he is confused too because the wrong kit came in. In the end, no one knew what was going on, but I got the original kit I ordered and am very satisfied with the end result!!!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts