Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a creak coming from both sides of my rear suspension whenever I go over a bump or whenever I make a sharp turn. Currently I have a Comptech RSB, and the A-Spec Suspension installed.

I can also hear the creak if I jack the rear of the car up, and place some blocks of wood under one tire, and then lower the car onto the blocks.

I just changed from the bushings that came with the Comptech RSB to Prothane bushings and greased them up, but it did not fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest what steps I should take to diagnose where the creak is comming from? Someone suggested that I try removing the RSB completely and seeing if the creak goes away (only to narrow the problem down to either the RSB or not).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I previously heard creeks at the rear of my car whenever I'd go over a moderate bump, like a speed bump. Got my suspensions replaced and the sound was gone. While I was at it I got my Moog endlinks installed and Prothane bushings for my Progress RSB. My shocks weren't blown, but the suspension was worn out.

·
Retired Regional Meet Leader
3,464 Posts
Hm, I did the relubing thing with prothane bushings and taht fixed it for me. But if it didn't work for you, i'm not sure.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you guys know if I come up with anything.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
It's a common problem with the Comptech sway bar. Mine started squeaking when I ran through some water during a rainstorm.

I swapped the bushing for Energy Suspension ones (poly). Greasing it only helps for a few days (all of the grease gets squished out). My car squeaks while it is cold.

Last time I greased my bushing, I noticed some crud inside where the grease goes. What I think is that it hardens overnight and causes squeaking in the morning. Then, after enough rubbing, it melts back into liquid grease. *shrugs* It can't be the lack of grease, because I put a TON of grease there (liberally greased between bar and bushing, between bushing and bracket, around gaps to keep dirt and water out, etc).

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, I just wanted to update you on what I found out this past weekend in trying to determine what was causing this.

I disconnected the RSB from the endlinks (left the endlinks connected to the suspension), and when I tried moving the RSB by hand, it was really smooth and no creaks. I then tried driving with it disconnected, and the creak was gone. At first this makes it look like the problem IS in the RSB/endlinks. Could the endlinks be the problem, ie. should I try to replace them?

But I was thinking about what EuroRspec said regarding the rear cross member. Could it still be in the rear cross member because by disconnecting the RSB the forces from turning/going over bumps were not directed through the rear cross member as it would have been when both sides of the suspension were connected?

If I cant come up with whats causing this, I might just have to bite the bullet and take it to the stealership and have them try and fix it.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Most likely it's not the endlinks. It wasn't creaking because there was not any load on the bushings. I promise you, it's the bushings. Get you some urethane bushings, lube 'em up and your set.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to update you on what I found out this past weekend in trying to determine what was causing this.

I disconnected the RSB from the endlinks (left the endlinks connected to the suspension), and when I tried moving the RSB by hand, it was really smooth and no creaks. I then tried driving with it disconnected, and the creak was gone. At first this makes it look like the problem IS in the RSB/endlinks. Could the endlinks be the problem, ie. should I try to replace them?

But I was thinking about what EuroRspec said regarding the rear cross member. Could it still be in the rear cross member because by disconnecting the RSB the forces from turning/going over bumps were not directed through the rear cross member as it would have been when both sides of the suspension were connected?

If I cant come up with whats causing this, I might just have to bite the bullet and take it to the stealership and have them try and fix it.

Try new bushings or lube up the old ones some more. But if your problem still pressists, its the left rear shock tower area in the truck where the top cross memeber connects.

Keep us updated.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a creak/clunk in my suspension as well as many other ppl on this forum. My endlink was binding and I just undid the end links and reinstalled them releasing them of the bind. ZERO noise now in my suspension quiet as hell again.

I can almost guarantee you it is the endlinks. Take them completely off and reinstall them tight!

·
, Regional Meet Leader, New York
4,104 Posts
Did you make sure you lubed every part inside the bushing outside in between the bracket? and on the metal?

I didnt do any on the metal bracket to the frame, and it made some noise on bumps. Redid it and got poly bushings and no noise now.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a creak/clunk in my suspension as well as many other ppl on this forum. My endlink was binding and I just undid the end links and reinstalled them releasing them of the bind. ZERO noise now in my suspension quiet as hell again.

I can almost guarantee you it is the endlinks. Take them completely off and reinstall them tight!
I removed them from the RSB side, but not from the suspension side, I will try that sometime and see if it does anything.

Did you make sure you lubed every part inside the bushing outside in between the bracket? and on the metal?

I didnt do any on the metal bracket to the frame, and it made some noise on bumps. Redid it and got poly bushings and no noise now.
No, I only put lubed the inside, where the RSB is (quite alot actually), should there also be grease on the outside in between the bushing and the bracket/frame? I thought the point was for the RSB to move inside the bushing and the bushing itself NOT to move relative to the frame?

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Acura will charge you $150 to diagnose the problem. I lubed behind the busing on the U bracket, just not around the bolt area.

Where is the sound coming from? Are you sure it's not from your trunk area?
I had a friend listen to it also, and he seemed to think it was coming from higher in the trunk, not low like the RSB. So I'm thinking that you are right that its gotta be from the sheet metal cross member in the trunk.

Is there anything that can be done about that? Is it something that I can do, or is that something that Acura would have to do?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I had a friend listen to it also, and he seemed to think it was coming from higher in the trunk, not low like the RSB. So I'm thinking that you are right that its gotta be from the sheet metal cross member in the trunk.

Is there anything that can be done about that? Is it something that I can do, or is that something that Acura would have to do?

You can fix it your self in about 5min. I just made two small wood shims, smaller than your pinky and tapped them in lightly with a hammer. 1 in front and 1 in back, just so you shim the cross member.

This is where to shim. One where the yellow arrow is, in the crack and one in the same place on the opisite side. That's where I put mine and have no issue since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts