Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You can fix it your self in about 5min. I just made two small wood shims, smaller than your pinky and tapped them in lightly with a hammer. 1 in front and 1 in back, just so you shim the cross member.

This is where to shim. One where the yellow arrow is, in the crack and one in the same place on the opisite side. That's where I put mine and have no issue since.
Thanks! Ill try that this weekend.

One question, when you say 2 shims, one where the yellow arrow is and one on the opposite side, you mean on the passenger side? Because in the first paragraph you make it seem like one in front of cross member and one behind.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Thanks! Ill try that this weekend.

One question, when you say 2 shims, one where the yellow arrow is and one on the opposite side, you mean on the passenger side? Because in the first paragraph you make it seem like one in front of cross member and one behind.
No, when I say on the opposite side I mean on the backside of the cross member, so behind the seats.

·
Registered
322 Posts
this has been driving me crazy lately. did the shims in the trunk, nothing. went and pulled the back seat sides off and did sound deadening around the shock towers / bottom of the trunk opening to no avail. going to see if i can figure out how to get shims in the front side of the cross member. if that fails time to get under the car and start greasing rear bushings.

·
Registered
322 Posts
update, slightly successful!

sprayed white lithium grease in the opening and the noise went away the next day! few days later it started coming back, and now months later it is back full force.

Thinking of spraying some expanding foam in there, or maybe have my welder co-workers reinforce the area.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It seems like every few years my rear suspension starts to creak. I have the Comptech rear swaybar with urethane bushings. I found the best way to get rid of the squeaking is to thoroughly clean the sway bar, bushings, clamps and car frame. I then put apply lithium grease (actual grease, not the spray with solvents) generously to ALL points/surfaces, wipe the excess after re-assembly and voila the squeak is gone! When I just lubed the bushings the squeak would return quickly.

I'm wondering if the reason shims are used are because of rubber bushings which compress much more than urethane. My urethane bushings leave no room for shims.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts