Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
In the USA, 40,060 Acura TSX sedans, produced between June 2002 and June 2004, will be recalled. They are affected only by the defective tape, the company said.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
(This is posted on the Canada forum too, and I did this reply over there.....)

Ouch! That's like basically all of us. It's the first TSX recall, except for that tranny case thing which wasn't really a recall.
Well, always a first time, right?

Thanks for posting it, dragontea.

I couldn't copy/paste from that link, but I found the story elsewhere (Seattle Post-Intelligencer):

Honda Motor to recall 158,187 vehicles

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. said Tuesday it will recall 158,187 cars sold in Japan, the United States and some 39 other countries to fix problems with the vehicles' lights.

There have been no reports of accidents related to the defects, Honda spokeswoman Yuriko Yabe said.

Defective seals around the headlights on the vehicles' left side could allow water to seep in and keep them from turning on, Honda said in a statement.

Honda, Japan's third-largest automaker, said it would also fix faulty tape protecting electric circuits in the trunks of some vehicles. Repeated openings and closings of the trunk could snap a wire and cause rear lights and license plate lights to stop working.

Affected by the recall are 31,102 Accord and Accord Wagon models sold in Japan and produced between October 2002 and June 2004.

The remaining 127,085 cars, produced between June 2002 and June 2004, were models for export. They were affected only by the defective tape, the company said.

Those exported include 40,060 Acura TSX sedans shipped to the United States, 16,690 Accord sedans exported to Britain, 11,000 Accords shipped to Australia and about 6,000 Acura TSX sold in Canada.

I'm pretty sure I remember people on the "other" site posting about such a problem back when I was over there last year.

I don't remember hearing anything before related to the electric circuits in the trunk.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Diesel said:
So our cars are included in the recall ?
"......40,060 Acura TSX sedans shipped to the United States, 16,690 Accord sedans exported to Britain, 11,000 Accords shipped to Australia and about 6,000 Acura TSX sold in Canada."

I would say so.

·
Registered
204 Posts
larchmont said:
"......40,060 Acura TSX sedans shipped to the United States, 16,690 Accord sedans exported to Britain, 11,000 Accords shipped to Australia and about 6,000 Acura TSX sold in Canada."

I would say so.
Something's wrong. I thought Honda is selling only 15000 TSX in the US

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Diesel said:
Something's wrong. I thought Honda is selling only 15000 TSX in the US
They sold a lot of TSXs from March 2003 to now....I would think sales would be around the 40k mark. The TSX has been a runaway success for Acura from the start and I wouldn't be surprised if sales were approaching 40k.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
The 15,000 figure was never anything more than a "target/estimate." And besides, it wasn't for the entire model year, but for a 12-month period.

They've been beating the "estimated" sale rate every month, right from the start.
The idea that 15,000 was some kind of limit somehow just took hold, despite how many times it has come up and been shot down on the various TSX sites.

40,000 does indeed sound like the approximate figure for the number of TSX's sold so far.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Just checked both front headlights and rear trunk lights, wiring and assembly. No problems on mine. I suggest owners to do the same, it's pointless to bring it to a dealership when there isn't any cause of un-natural contact/abrasion/wear as indicated.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
This is why I really like honda. Something small like this most car companies would tell dealerships just to take care of it when the cars come in or when theres actually a problem

Honda creates a damn recall for two small problems. :nod:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Self-Inspection (Recall Preventative Measure)

Headlight Sealing Check
- Pop bonnet/hood.
- Visually inspect seals/surroundings around headlight assembly.
- Check rear protection cover for light bulb/HID assembly replacement is secure/tight (This should be tight).
- Remove rear protection cover, feel/touch for water/wet deposit content (There should be none).
- Reinstall rear protection cover securely.
- Close bonnet/hood.
- Hose headlights using a top down 45 degree angle for a few seconds.
- Check inspect no water vapour/mist build-up in lights. (No recall necessary).

Trunk/Tailight Wiring Check
- Pop trunk/boot.
- Visually inspect wiring protection tape around main wiring harness (This runs through the main trunk hole and should be perfectly wrapped up in black tape).
- Remove clips securing carpet on trunk lid.
- Check all wiring connecting tape and main assembly are intact, tape should be consistent with main wiring harness.
- Reinstall carpet and clips. (No recall necessary).
- Repeat/remove clips securing carpet on boot (Main brake/park light inspection).
- Check all wiring connecting tape and main assembly are intact, tape should be consistent with main wiring harness.
- Reinstall carpet and clips. (No recall necessary).

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
larchmont said:
.....I'm pretty sure I remember people on the "other" site posting about such a problem back when I was over there last year.....
Well, guess what I found.

It goes back further than I thought.
The issue was raised by a few people on the "OLD OLD" site -- ClubTSX --- way way back in June of 2003!!

And would you believe, one of those old members, Stangster, even speculated that this might result in a recall:

"Hey Acura we just got this car to North America and you are already screwing it up for us. I have not had this problem "YET" but I would not be surprised if the problem persist that a recall is ordered. How did this get past the quality control people at Acura :shurg:. If a recall is ordered I will be one pissed off owner as I expect better from Honda and a recall only 2 months into the release of this car is not what I expected from this brand. What else do you think Acura is hiding from us that we are going to have to put up with in the coming months."

(posted 6/13/03)

He was maybe a little hot under the collar -- but he was right on.

BTW he seems not to have had much idea of the troubles that occurred on that "old old" site, and I don't think he ever came on this site or the "other" site. He continued posting occasionally on ClubTSX even though that site is basically dead, and he posted there today about this recall. I think we'll put out an APB for him. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

I took a closer look at the article, and it looks like it's not what most of us thought:

Honda.....said it would also fix faulty tape protecting electric circuits in the trunks of some vehicles. Repeated openings and closings of the trunk could snap a wire and cause rear lights and license plate lights to stop working.
Affected by the recall are 31,102 Accord and Accord Wagon models sold in Japan and produced between October 2002 and June 2004.
The remaining 127,085 cars, produced between June 2002 and June 2004, were models for export. They were affected only by the defective tape, the company said.
Those exported include 40,060 Acura TSX sedans shipped to the United States, 16,690 Accord sedans exported to Britain, 11,000 Accords shipped to Australia and about 6,000 Acura TSX sold in Canada.

If this is accurate, the recall of the TSX's won't have anything to do with the water-in-the-left-headlight issue, even though we know that some TSX's have had this problem.

The TSX recall, it seems, is only about the other thing -- "faulty tape protecting electric circuits in the trunks of some vehicles. Repeated openings and closings of the trunk could snap a wire and cause rear lights and license plate lights to stop working."

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Diesel said:
I am curious the self-check procedure is in the Acura Owners link or not.
It should be in there, right ?
NO

I think Noel just wrote up the DIY procedure for our benefit.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Noel said:
Just checked both front headlights and rear trunk lights, wiring and assembly. No problems on mine. I suggest owners to do the same, it's pointless to bring it to a dealership when there isn't any cause of un-natural contact/abrasion/wear as indicated.
A few things concern me about this.

Probably the main one, which I think also applies to most other owners although maybe not most members of this site, is that no matter how simple it is, I wouldn't trust my own ability to assess it properly.

But other things:

(1) I don't know if Acura maintains any "official registry" or anything like that regarding whether each car has had the recall work done, but if they do, I can imagine a couple of problems that might occur. One would be that if certain other things go wrong down the road, let's say something that would be covered under warranty, would there be any significant chance that Acura would say you hadn't done your part because you didn't have the recall work done? And/or, when you go to sell the car, would it be a negative mark on the car's record that the record wouldn't show that the recall work was done?

(2) The second thing is a little abstract, but.....I don't think it's good to get in a mind-set where we're so worried over bringing the car to the dealer or to Acura service. I know for sure that I wouldn't want to. First of all just for my own mental equilibrium, but secondly......don't you think they would pick up on that attitude? I think they would. And even if they don't pick up on the "vibes," they'd probably know you didn't bring in the car for the recall work. I'm not saying it's like they'll do lousy work and sabotage your car if they pick up negative vibes or if they just know that you didn't let Acura do the recall work, but I am saying it might not be a good thing to set up such a vibe.

Just my proverbial .02.....

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
i agree with larch.... oh my i guess there is a first time for everything either that or watching my dog (golden retreiver) chase his tail is making me dizzy therefore affecting my judgement :)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Of course, feel free to bring it back to the dealership. I'm not stopping nor discouraging anyone from doing so. I'm simply giving an alternative preventative measure check-list.

After all, they're the professionals.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts