Acura TSX Forum banner

Redo centre console trim

18K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Aragrev7 
#1 ·
Just redid centre console trim around the shifter and cubbies. The 06 has some grey-speckled plastic stuff that leaves finger prints and doesn't keep well. I've replaced it with some "Black dry carbon fibre" twill weave. Thought I'd throw up some pics for people who want to see what different stuff looks like. It looks glossy in my iPhone cam but it's not. It's a textured weave. (prob will collect dirt in the weave though)

Old Trim

New Trim

* I miss-laid the weave on the cup holder cover so the pattern goes opposite.*

See less See more
Reactions: Greyout
#3 ·
I like how it looks. The "mis-lay" of the cup holder actually looks cool. I like how it contrasts the rest.

Where'd you get your material? I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. Is it sticky backed or did you have to use spray ahesive?

#4 ·
Wow, is there a DIY for removing the trim pieces, I'm scared I might break something.

#28 ·
Very easy to do. Just be careful with the scratching/denting the trim with your screw driver - use tape on the end.

You don't need to remove the center console. Razor blade, scissors and a lighter are all you need. I did this mod almost 2 yrs ago. You can buy that Carbon Fiber Vinyl on ebay for like 20 bucks or something, and with that amount of vinyl, you pretty much can cover the whole dash.
I didn't use any heat. All vinyl adhesive. I removed the centre console so I could get a better wrap behind the trim. This prevents it from peeling up as it is held in by pressure of the trim.

but removing the center console is so easy and it will make the install easier. Honestly all you have to do is pry the center consle and upper cubby with your hands. Once you do that you will see the screws for the cubby with the "not an astray" thingy.
Thats the video!

that looks awesome man. I need to figure out how to do this. Any suggestions on where to get the trim?
I got this trim from iJDMtoy along with my HID foglight conversion. (just added the vinyl to the ship list because it was cheap. link quoted below..

Np problem man. Post pics when your finished.
Thanks for the +rep :)

Have you guys tried this? its a little cheaper
Carbon Fiber Sheets | 3D Twill Weave Carbon Fiber Fabric Vinyl Sheets
Just did mine today.

Damn that center console was a bitch to get out. For those who haven't taken it out, please oh please use a towel when using a screwdriver to pry it out from the e-brake. Otherwise you'll have nice dents in your center console.

But after 5 hours of doing this, I'm really happy with my new interior. VERY happy actually. No more icky finger smudges!
Looks great! glad to see my mistake was taken into the planning :) of course if you like to cross match the pattern, then you can play around with it too.
& not smudges!

Someone had a diy on this. I can't seem to find it. Anyone?
I can prob write one up, I didn't take pics tho. Best bet when searching is to search for the audio/sub installs. They will be taking out this whole console, and the trim too if they want to do a clean install and hide the wires (like I did).

It should have came like that from the factory! The damn plastick they used on the pieces sucks ass. It drives me insane when i see smudge marks on it and the rest of the interior is clean.

Definately going to do this as well.
Do it!! If you need help just post here, myself and the others can help out as needed.
** I properly subscribed lol!

It does look much better than stock. I plan to do this too as I have a cracked center cover where the heater switches are. I broke it when I was installing my system. Where did you get the material and how much was it? Thanks.
Mine is good quality from iJDMtoy. No heating necessary. Best to take out the trim and wrap a few mm behind the trim.

Hey 2K6TSX if you ever end up doing this, please let me know! I've been meaning to do this for 2 years now but I'm having trouble pulling out the cup holder/e-brake console, everytime I'm lifting it, it feels like it's going to break so I haven't done it.

I can take out the middle cubby since I've done the USAspec and footwell lights.
Mid cubby is easy so your on your way. The centre trim you should pry up with a screw driver wrapped in tape. It is snap in.I will see if I can locate the areas where the snaps are. But yes it is a bit sketchy the first time because it feels like it will snap. (same thing when pulling your front bumper off!)

Thanks, I read that previously as well, but when I'm trying to pry the piece near the heated seat switches, it won't budge and feels like it's going to snap in half, lol. It's been a while since I tried so I'll try it again
I have to make sure, but make sure you have those Mid cubbies out first too. There MIGHT be some screws in there holding it down. I'll take a look in a bit for you. My cubbies are annoying to take out bc I have my Sub control wired through the back into them so I can control them.

#6 ·
You don't need to remove the center console. Razor blade, scissors and a lighter are all you need. I did this mod almost 2 yrs ago. You can buy that Carbon Fiber Vinyl on ebay for like 20 bucks or something, and with that amount of vinyl, you pretty much can cover the whole dash.

#7 ·
but removing the center console is so easy and it will make the install easier. Honestly all you have to do is pry the center consle and upper cubby with your hands. Once you do that you will see the screws for the cubby with the "not an astray" thingy.

if your confused(I didn't use a screw driver though for the center console):

#9 ·
#25 ·
Hey 2K6TSX if you ever end up doing this, please let me know! I've been meaning to do this for 2 years now but I'm having trouble pulling out the cup holder/e-brake console, everytime I'm lifting it, it feels like it's going to break so I haven't done it.

I can take out the middle cubby since I've done the USAspec and footwell lights.

#11 ·
#13 ·
This looks good. Don't think it would go well with parchment interior. What do y'all think? I would also have to cover the "wood" trim.

:fro:

#15 ·
I say do it anyway. It might be nice, since the center console is black anyway?

It adds a completely new look IMO.

Very happy with how mine came out.

#14 ·
Just did mine today.

Damn that center console was a bitch to get out. For those who haven't taken it out, please oh please use a towel when using a screwdriver to pry it out from the e-brake. Otherwise you'll have nice dents in your center console.

But after 5 hours of doing this, I'm really happy with my new interior. VERY happy actually. No more icky finger smudges!

#38 ·
Hey man, I've been looking into this too. Was that a kit that was already pre-cut or did you custom cut it yourself?

Would you happen to know of a DIY for this and where I can find this material ? I want to do this to my TSX as well.

You can inbox me if anything.

Thanks.

#17 ·
Not too bad. For me, had to constantly go back and forth from heating up the 3M dinoc, and initially used my nails to push in the surrounding areas. Then reheat, then push again with nails. Then you get it close enough that you can use your xacto knife and cut along the silver trim.

Once you cut out the basic shape, you reheat and push in the material around the silver trim. It's not 100percent perfect, but it does the job well. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but mine still came out looking really good.

#20 ·
Yesssss do it! I love how it doesn't leave fingerprint smudges :)

#22 ·
I had mine laying around from a local shop I purchased it from. This project was put for a good 6 months...

#24 ·
Thanks!!! Really happy how it came out :)

#29 ·
Here are some pics I just went and did on my break. Took me about 30 seconds to do(just the centre trim, not the cubbies). I used a flathead screwdriver I had in my trunk.

Remove the shifter knob - mine is a 6MT Maven knob (for sale!!) so it was simply an unscrew deal, no lock nut.

Then, all you do is (after removing the cubbies, or simply opening the bottom one) placing your fore finger and middle finger on the front of the forward part of the trim (by the seat heater switches) and placing your thumbs in the forward part of the shifter boot (6MT model - ). Pinch together and pull up, it will snap out.

**Don't pull up too far, just enough to release the snaps, the seat heater wiring is still attached. You will get those later**

Use the protected (electric tape/thin cloth) screwdriver to gently pry up near the locations indicated in the pics below. It helps to gently slide the driver in from the already open part till it gets tight and then pry up. Be gentle and you shouldn't have a problem. Just now I did it mostly by pulling up with my hands as I've done it a few times already - it is all snap in.

Now unplug the seat heater switch base, the tabs are on the passenger facing side of the base for me - kind of annoying if you have big hands, but simple enough.

Underside of the centre trim - highlighted snap-in areas:

Empty bay that the centre trim covers - highlighted snap-in areas: (helllo audio install!)

Side profile of centre trim - so you can estimate where the snap in tabs are according to the top side you actually see.

Any questions go ahead!

#31 ·
You only need enough to cover the center so one yard is all you need. More if you want to make mistakes! Or cover more if you want. I think I got the second smallest order. You really don't need much! Just cut the shapes a bit bigger than they need to be to wrap around a few mm. Use paper to outline the trim pieces. And place the cut out sketch over the back of the vinyl to cut. Place the shapes conservatively so you're not wasting material.

#33 ·
Well I won't claim too much for Kelowna bc our summer has sucked, but it is a desert and gets hot. I park my car in a large open parking lot at Uni. Interior gets burning hot to the touch and no issues yet. It should not peel for me because I wrapped the vinyl around behind the trim. This stuff is really good for molding to curves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.