Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

this is my first time using the forum and hopefully I am posting in the correct forum.

I purchased a 2004 TSX as a 3rd car for myself, to use when the weather is harsh. It’s been a very reliable beater and cost efficient.

My question how will the car run on 87 instead of 91? I know it will decrease mileage and power but by how much? I could nearly save 15-20$ a tank here. I do know the K24 are fairly high compression but the cars old and I don’t really care for it like that. Is there any major engine issues I will deal with also?

thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Many have reported the car runs fine with 87. Can't say how much power or effeciency you would lose but I doubt it would be worth an extra $1/gal... If it's just a bad weather beater, I'd run 87 and just avoid WOT. Shouldn't need WOT in bad weather anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I purchased a 2004 TSX as a 3rd car for myself, to use when the weather is harsh. It’s been a very reliable beater and cost efficient.

My question how will the car run on 87 instead of 91? I know it will decrease mileage and power but by how much? I could nearly save 15-20$ a tank here. I do know the K24 are fairly high compression but the cars old and I don’t really care for it like that. Is there any major engine issues I will deal with also?
First, to answer your question - I'm pretty sure this car will run on 87, it will just run with less performance when it detects the lower octane fuel as the ECU adjusts the timing. I don't think you'll do any engine damage, only have less fun with the car under spirited driving conditions, which it sounds like you're not using it for anyway.

Second, to ask one - saving $15-20 a tank?! Holy frijoles!

I am guessing from the little Canadian flag icon next to your username that you are in Canada.

But filling a tank for me is about 13 gallons, and that's if I drive it until the fuel light comes on in between fill-ups. There's no way 91 or 93 octane costs over a dollar more per gallon than regular 87... Is there? (Even with $1.35 CAD to the US dollar?)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I normally run 93 around town, but I've filled up with 87 during road trips and found no significant difference in performance while cruising (light throttle). I switch back to 93 when I return home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

this is my first time using the forum and hopefully I am posting in the correct forum.

thanks!
Hi everyone,

thanks!

Hi everyone,

thanks!
Hi everyone,

thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive a 2008 TSX. The owners manual says to burn 91 octane but I am kind of cheap. I tried regular (87) and it was a gutless wonder. I tried midgrade (89) and it runs just the same as premium (91) so why spend 10 or 20 cents extra? I have had the car, with no problems since 2010.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2009, so I can't say for sure about the first gens, but in mine, it knocks noticeably on 87 or 89. Otherwise, it runs fine. Fill it up with 93 (I can't get 91 here in MI), no more knock. I suppose I could do 1/2 89 and 1/2 93, but the extra time isn't worth the $0.30 I'd save lol.

As a previous poster said, avoid WOT and you'll likely be fine. I think the owners manual says anything below 87 can damage the engine, which implies 87 and up won't.

Also in MI, premium is at least $0.60 per gal more, and at Shell it's $0.90, so that's about $10 more per tank, and closer to $15 at Shell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009, so I can't say for sure about the first gens, but in mine, it knocks noticeably on 87 or 89. Otherwise, it runs fine. Fill it up with 93 (I can't get 91 here in MI), no more knock. I suppose I could do 1/2 89 and 1/2 93, but the extra time isn't worth the $0.30 I'd save lol.

As a previous poster said, avoid WOT and you'll likely be fine. I think the owners manual says anything below 87 can damage the engine, which implies 87 and up won't.

Also in MI, premium is at least $0.60 per gal more, and at Shell it's $0.90, so that's about $10 more per tank, and closer to $15 at Shell.
Hi everyone,

thanks!
I bought a 2004 TSX last year with 210,000 miles on it. It has run great for at least 15,000 miles on regular gas (87 Octane) . I get 33 MPG if I drive the car sensibly on the highway. About 27-28 MPG around town. I tried 2 tanks of Premium gas (91 octane) at a very expensive cost to see if the performance improved. The best I got was MAYBE 1 MPG better milage… certainly not worth the difference in the price per tank. I have gone back to regular gas and no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts