Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of gas do you think the TSX will require, Regular or Premium?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
tsxclub said:
What type of gas do you think the TSX will require, Regular or Premium?
I am pretty sure they will equip the car with a knock sensor... Usually increased hp/displacement ratio means increased compression ratio, more chance of detonation with spark advance. IF it can take reg's they will strongly recommend premium fuel... The RSX 2.0 (Type S) with [email protected] RPM has a 11.0:1 compression ratio which is getting up there, so you would probably be able to run reg pump gas, BUT the knock sensor will hear those pings and retard your timing... I know the Vette's say premium gas and they have 10.1-10.5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Re: Re: Regular or Premium Gas?

fschambe said:
I am pretty sure they will equip the car with a knock sensor... Usually increased hp/displacement ratio means increased compression ratio, more chance of detonation with spark advance. IF it can take reg's they will strongly recommend premium fuel... The RSX 2.0 (Type S) with [email protected] RPM has a 11.0:1 compression ratio which is getting up there, so you would probably be able to run reg pump gas, BUT the knock sensor will hear those pings and retard your timing... I know the Vette's say premium gas and they have 10.1-10.5
Here's from the RSX Spec's:
Fuel Economy

EPA estimated mileage, city/highway:
RSX (5-sp. manual): 27/33*
RSX (automatic): 24/33*
RSX Type S (6-sp. manual): 27/31*
Recommended Fuel for RSX - regular unleaded 87 octane
Recommended Fuel for RSX Type S - premium unleaded 91 octane**

*Use for comparison purposes only. California figures are the same. Your mileage may vary. Factory estimates; EPA figures not available at time of printing.
** Gasoline with an octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,255 Posts
Better yet what do people use in their TSX, regular or premium?

I use premium
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
my baby only gets 93 octane Amoco Ultimate :nod:
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
<--wishes we could get 93 in California
yeah...and octane 91 is still more expensive there than octane 93 here!!!!!
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
last i saw here was 1.99 for octane 93
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
5,757 Posts
I use 87 octane for my TSX @ $1.76 at Mobil or Phillips 66, but with reduced performance though. I used to use 89 octane for the car, but ppl told me 87 octane is fine, it wouldn't hurt the car. I hope its true cuz I save 25 cents using 87 octane.
 

·
(o'.')-o
Joined
·
318 Posts
I use 91 Octane with some fuel/octane booster/fuel injection cleaner additive my folks recommend me using :eek: . For my next tank, I’m going to put in regular fuel with that octane booster/fuel injection cleaner additive my folks keep pushing me to use and see if it actually does anything, because if you get any on your hands, it’s imposable to get the smell out.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
Agent_Chen said:
I use 87 octane for my TSX @ $1.76 at Mobil or Phillips 66, but with reduced performance though. I used to use 89 octane for the car, but ppl told me 87 octane is fine, it wouldn't hurt the car. I hope its true cuz I save 25 cents using 87 octane.
:surprised
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I have used the 87 also 89 and half and half 91 and 89. The car felt a little sluggish with the lower octane when accelerating on the highway. I have gone back to 91 octane. Use Chevron most of the time - it has the Techron fuel injector cleaner mixed-in.

In my Integra I used to add a bottle of injector cleaner in half tank of gas every 5K miles as a preventative. No special brand whatever was on sale. It worked well for 9 years. I will do that same to the TSX. Dirty fuel injector not only robs power it also robs mpg.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top