Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a remote car starter on their TSX? I called my dealer and they said there is no "Acura-approved" starter, but referred me to a local car audio store. The store said they could do it, but I would have to pay extra for a kit to get around the engine-immobilizer system. Will this permanently disable this security feature? Any information or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, any remote start modules will bypass the OEM Honda immobilizer system. Why would you want one anyway? You may have a problem with your insurance company if they find out you purposely disabled your OEM immobilizer system as theft would be pretty much made easier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I was unsure if the immobilizer was permanently disabled or just by-passed for the remote start option only. I was interested in the remote starter because I live in the midwest where winters bring many cold days. An ex-neighbor had one where they had to re-start the engine with the key before driving - I assume for theft purposes. However, I am unsure if their car had an engine immobilizer (they had a 2001 or 2002 Grand-Am).

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Don't they sell an engine block heater from factory? That should be good for the cold weather. While the immobilizer system would have to be a permanant disable. The Honda security system is quite sophisticated but yet not that hard to bypass by knowledge.

·
Registered
116 Posts
just get a two in one remote start/alarm. and for remote start systems you have to put your key in the ignition and turn it and then push the brake or something for it to go. and you also have to give the installer a key to put in to bypass the immobilizer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noel said:
Yes, any remote start modules will bypass the OEM Honda immobilizer system. Why would you want one anyway? You may have a problem with your insurance company if they find out you purposely disabled your OEM immobilizer system as theft would be pretty much made easier.

The modules would only bypass while remote starting and the immobilizer would still work otherwise.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Who makes a system like that? I'd like to know more.

When the immobilizer system is disabled, it's disabled full time. The only method that I know that of works on the Honda security system that is.

·
Registered
549 Posts
viper, dei, go to http://www.viper.com/default.asp they have a bunch of systems, including some more advanced ones with features such as gps tracking (go online to see where your car is) unlock your car from phone, disable your engine, etc (kind of like onstar, except without a person to call you when you are in an accident)

when i had my tsx, i purchased a codealarm system, it was crap, i would stay away from them... i have also tried crime stopper systems (i was amused by the 2-way paging feature at the time) it was also junk... i have heard mainly good things about the products from directed electronics

there was somebody who has the 2004 TL... and the dealer had installed a remote start system for them... and it uses the factory oem keyless remote fob; however, he lost the functionality of opening the windows from the keyfob....

good luck :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
oh, also, with the gps tracking, i know SOME (very FEW) insurance companies give an extra discoutn for this... i know my AAA insurance will NOT because the rate already includes the fact that it has an alarm system....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noel said:
Who makes a system like that? I'd like to know more.

When the immobilizer system is disabled, it's disabled full time. The only method that I know that of works on the Honda security system that is.
Any company that makes bypass modules. The module needs to be triggered by the remote starter, otherwise the immobilizer remains active. I just got mine finished tonight. We used a DEI 556U universal transponder bypass. Works like a charm.:mardi:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts