Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I thought I remembered reading that people have installed 24F size batteries into the TSX, but it looks like all I can currently find refers to the Optimas (or other AGM), which I believe have slightly different (adjustable?) physical dimensions than standard 24F batteries (please correct if not). I know the Optima's are great, but my needs (or lack thereof) don't justify the price premium.

For pretty much the same price as the stock 51R, standard 24F batteries provide a significant increase in reserve and CCA's, presumably due to their larger size. They are the same height but longer/wider than 51R.

So has anyone installed a standard 24F battery instead of the stock 51R size? What modification were needed, if any? Any downsides?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you got the footprint dimensions of the battery and compared to the dimensions of the metal portion of the battery tray you could make 100% sure that it will fit. I haven't done this yet. But you can put a larger battery in the stock position by just removing the plastic that covers the stock size battery. Then if you need even more room you could remove the metal tray but you would then have to fab some sort of tie down for the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
You can easily find a 500 CCA battery which will fit in the stock tray. Thats what I did, and it is a vast improvement over the stock 430 CCA battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you got the footprint dimensions of the battery and compared to the dimensions of the metal portion of the battery tray you could make 100% sure that it will fit. I haven't done this yet. But you can put a larger battery in the stock position by just removing the plastic that covers the stock size battery. Then if you need even more room you could remove the metal tray but you would then have to fab some sort of tie down for the battery.
Thanks. Other than fit and slightly added weight, are there any other possible negatives? Electrically/electronically perhaps?

You can easily find a 500 CCA battery which will fit in the stock tray. Thats what I did, and it is a vast improvement over the stock 430 CCA battery.
That was the original plan. But typically...

51R: 500 CCA / 85 min reserve
24F: 700 CCA / 130 min reserve

You can see why the 24F is tempting. But if it doesn't work, it's nice to know that 500 CCA is a vast improvement. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
. No problems should arise from using a larger battery.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.