Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow TSX owners. Wanted to let everyone know that I recently replaced my front leather seat covers, which were badly worn and cracked, with a set from www.lseat.com. There are several well-known leather seat sites on the net.... leatherseats.com, Katzkin, etc. but they never had the 1st Gen TSX pattern. And even if they did, equivalent replacement sets for the TL were always really expensive.

Lseat is a somewhat new player, and they also did not have the TSX pattern, but the owner told me that he would create a pattern if I agreed to send in my original covers and wait a few weeks. I did so and they've now posted the set for anyone to purchase: (URL: https://www.lseat.com/products/2004-2008-acura-tsx-cl9-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html) The cost of the covers is $299 for the base pattern plus a bit extra if you want perforations like the OEM seats. There is a fair amount of information on Lseat products for other cars on those vehicle's respective forums. The reviews seem to be mixed with most of the headaches coming from lack of customer service rather than the quality of the covers themselves.

For those interested in the quality and my experience with the company, please continue reading.

Timetable and Customer Service

I sent Lseat my original covers in early April. The original estimate was 3-4 weeks. In reality it was more like 8 weeks, likely because the work is being done somewhere internationally (I think the owner is Chinese and that these were being made in China). I had to send them several pings for status updates, but I always received a reply within 24 hours.

Product Quality

The covers themselves were shipped vacuum sealed. They were correctly cut with all the right clips, belts and tabs, just like OEM. I did have to exacto knife some holes for the headrests and lumbar lever, but it was easy. The leather itself was similar to the OEM seats, which admittedly are not the highest quality, and I think only the central inserts on the OEM were genuine leather. The Lseat covers, I believe, are 100% leather based on my own impression and information from other message boards. The leather texture is similar to BMW's Dakota leather which is their entry-level leather option. The color was a very close match to the original ebony interior color though perhaps a bit lighter in shade. They seemed to match exactly the new steering wheel wrap and arm rest cover I bought from another supplier.

Installation

Installation was very tedious. Both front seats must be removed and the various plastic components unscrewed/popped. Then, the covers have to be declipped, unhog-ringed and de-bracketed. Removal of the seat covers took me probably about 4-6 hours, but I was a newb at this. Installing the seat covers was actually a bit easier. I added a 1.5" memory foam topper to the existing foam pads which made the fit a bit tight, but I was able to get them on. I also used 8" zip ties despite having hog rings and pliers, mainly because it seemed impossible to be able to crimp a hog ring on the the seat foam bracket with the seat cover tab in close proximity. Getting the head rest covers on were a bit of a chore and had to be done with patience and care. I also made a mistake and snipped a wire on my seat heater pad. Install with care.

BTW, the memory foam made a big difference in the comfort of the seats. I took the TSX cross country earlier this year and the seats weren't really up to the challenge. Wish I would've had the extra memory foam for the trip.

Conclusion

All in all, I'm very satisfied with this purchase. Time will tell if the leather will hold up, but they look 1000% better than the worn out OEM covers.

P.S. My foam job was a bit sloppy which is why the leather is not smooth in certain areas.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I can see me ordering one set for my TSX!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
The wrinkles must be what you meant regarding the foam. Not as nice as OEM but, for the price, it really freshens up the interior and you have all new cushions and covers. That's a great deal!

Did you look into refinishing the OEM leather before deciding to replace the covers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wrinkles must be what you meant regarding the foam. Not as nice as OEM but, for the price, it really freshens up the interior and you have all new cushions and covers. That's a great deal!

Did you look into refinishing the OEM leather before deciding to replace the covers?
I took the car to a automotive upholstery shop in San Francisco, and their advice was to find replacement covers online and have the shop do the install. They said they could custom make the covers, but the price tag was approaching the $2k mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad that a company is finally making TSX replacements since OEM is like $2800 for just covers without installation, and custom seats are also going to be upwards of $2k at any upholstery shop.... I just ordered color swatches from Lseat, I am going to try finding a color that matches the OEM "Moon Lake Gray" interior. If I can find the right color and an upholstery shop willing to install, I can definitely see myself going through with the Lseat covers, even if everyone online says their shipping takes months....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just received my Lseat swatches from "Hosuton, TX" according to the packaging... Looks like Dove Gray is 75% accurate to the Quartz OEM interior color but tends to look more tan in direct sunlight. Texture is more fine than OE leather, feels nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bump for some longer term updates if you guys are still around. looking at the Lseat which is a replacement cover VS the Clazzio set which goes over top the existing cover and uses strings to tighten itself to the seat. If you google Clazzio TL you can see some guys who installed them. Fit and finish seems pretty good, install is easier since it can be done without removing seats. Wish i could just drop some Euro R recaros in there, but i can't roll around with no airbags.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I bought a set for the front seats as well. Strangely, the installer found the left/right sides of the bottom cover too short. Anyone had this issue?

BTW I ordered "Ecru White" as the color when on the leather sample looked similar to factory tan/ivory. However, when factory one and lseat one are side-by-side, Ecru White is noticeably whiter, so probably "Ivory" is closer to factory color.

·
Registered
732 Posts
To follow up on my own question, I suspect the issue is the bottom frames of 04-05 and 06-08 are different. I checked how the two frames look on the part catalog, and they do look slightly different. The 04-05 one (81510-SDB-A73) looks thicker than 06-08 one (81510-SDB-A73). The profile of the 06-08 frame also looks more similar to the lseat pattern.

I have let lseat know the issue, will post any update here.

Reactions: CalgaryTSX

·
-
1,695 Posts
The original poster in this thread doesn't mention it but his TSX is a 2007. (He mentions that in another thread).

The 2004-05 seats look slightly different than the 2006-08 seats but I didn't think the frames were different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a set for the front seats as well. Strangely, the installer found the left/right sides of the bottom cover too short. Anyone had this issue?

BTW I ordered "Ecru White" as the color when on the leather sample looked similar to factory tan/ivory. However, when factory one and lseat one are side-by-side, Ecru White is noticeably whiter, so probably "Ivory" is closer to factory color.
question, i order the sample as well and the ivory looks darker than the tan oem, however the ecru white looks very close to oem. now the ivory in the site looks really close to oem. im not sure which one to choose. what you think??

·
Registered
732 Posts
the ivory looks darker than the tan oem, however the ecru white looks very close to oem. now the ivory in the site looks really close to oem.
I thought the same when using the sample chart, and I compared them under many different light conditions. But in reality ecru white is a full step whiter than oem. I actually have the covers installed and can take a pic to tomorrow to show you. TBH, I did not have good experience with the product and the customer service, so would suggest either spending more money on custom-made leathers, or using covers that go on top of the factory leather - search "EndlessRPM" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I will talk about the lessons I learned in my build thread soon.

·
Registered
732 Posts
ecur white vs oem, don't repeat my mistake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts