Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here replaced their clutch fluid on a 6MT? I would assume it's the same idea as doing a brake fluid flush? DOT3 Honda brake fluid should suffice as well...?

I just drove a friends' new (to him) 2005 TSX with half the mileage my 2004 has. His clutch was feather-light and the grab point was very apparent. Mine seemed stiffer throughout the pedal travel, almost rubbery/spongy, and the grab point was nowhere near as obvious. I'm wondering if changing the clutch fluid would help get my clutch closer to the feeling of his. And thoughts?

·
What to put here?
1,991 Posts
I was just thinking about this yesterday. The clutch fluid is the same product as the brake fluid.

According to the service manual, there is a slave cylinder near the transmission with a bleeder valve. You use the bleeder valve to remove the air trapped in the system.

I have not done it yet so I don't know of any improvement. I was thinking that I should change out the clutch fluid when I change the brake fluid.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Hey guys, what's the interval for changing clutch fluids?

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, what's the interval for changing clutch fluids?
I don't recall a specific interval, but like the power steering fluid, I prefer to change it "on occasion" rather than "never".

Since clutch fluid is the exact same as brake fluid, which by nature is hydroscopic (absorbs water), I think it's prudent to change it every 3 years -- the same as the change interval for brake fluid. This should keep moisture in the line(s) to a minimum and prolong component life.

I'll look more into it this weekend and probably change it in a few weeks.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Hmm not trying to insult your intelligent. But if clutch fluid should be changed the same as brake, how come I don't hear it more often?

And I just looked at Heeltoe's Maintenance Schedule and he didn't list clutch fluid change, which is weird.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't take it as an insult, no worries. I think it's like the PS fluid -- not mentioned but no harm in changing it for peace of mind down the road!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would say the service interval would not be the same as brake fluid. Yes it does absorb water but it is not being subjected to the high temperatures that the brake system generates. I don't even see the clutch fluid listed in the maintanence schedule.

·
What to put here?
1,991 Posts
I've read that they have devices to measure the boiling point of your old brake fluid. When the fluid absorbs moisture the boiling point goes down. With this device you can tell when it needs to be replaced. Having working brakes is a safety issue. Having a smooth clutch is maybe not that important?

I wonder if the Acura techs ever test the clutch fluid to recommend replacement?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts