Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods - please move if this isn't the appropriate place.

I took my '05 TSX in for service since I purchased used back in September. I asked them to do an alignment because the front end is pulling to the left pretty badly. When I went back to pick her up they told me that they couldn't do an alignment because the upper and lower control arms are bent on both the font and rear passenger side.

Wow. A little back story on this: The first time I had it to the dealership back in November I asked them to do an alignment because it started to pull slightly to the left. Turns out they didn't have time to do an alignment, but they discovered that one of the wheels had "wobble" to it. I kept driving and figured I'd get a wheel replaced, I guess I figured the previous owner had a run in with a pot hole or curb, but didn't give it much more thought than that.

So, I'm not real happy with myself or the dealership at this point. I sat down with the used car manager at the Acura dealership where this was purchased. The car came with a 30 day, 1,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I told him that it was obviously this way when I bought the car. He gave me the obvious, you should have brought it in and we would have fixed it. He also went on to say that they inspect every car they warranty and fix whatever needs to be fixed. I asked him point blank if the control arms were part of their inspection process. He proceeded to skirt the issue and when asked again he said that if there was no shaking or pulling during their initial ride they would not have reason to inspect them.

This is all very strange. The car drove straight when I drove it off the lot. And I have not hit anything since I took ownership of the vehicle - living in Iowa you watch out for these things. I know this is a he said-she said type situation and there it would be awfully difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I didn't incur these damages on my own. Poop.

Now, a few questions:

1 - Is the used car manager correct? This would be for my own personal vindication. I know I'm going to be stuck paying the bill for this no matter what.

2 - This will probably be the job for a local mechanic - not sure if I want to take it back to the dealership. I was looking at the replacement parts to order. The front looks pretty straight forward, but it seems there are 3 or 4 parts on the rear set up that involved. The estimate said upper and lower control arms. But which is which?

3 - Is there any other work I should have done or items checked before or during this work is completed? Stabilizer bar? Axel? It will obviously need an alignment once the work is done.

Just thinking - whoever was driving this car must have hit a really deep pothole or a large bump very hard to bend a wheel and bend the control arms on both the front and the back.

Anyone else have rotten experiences with used car folks at Acura dealerships?

·
-
1,560 Posts
1. So the car was fine when you bought it in Sept 2010? The dealer gave you a 30 day warranty.

2. It developed a pull in Nov 2010. You found a damaged or bent wheel & never did a wheel alignment?

3. Now it has a more severe pull & you want the dealer to cover it?

Once you take the emotion out of it, it's seems pretty basic to me. The car developed the issue after the warranty was up.
It is highly unlikely that the car had the issue when you bought it & no way to prove that it did.

Anytime you have a bent or damaged wheel, the car suspension should be checked out and the car re-aligned.
If the impact was severe enough to damage a wheel, it's likely the alignment is out & something is bent or damaged.
You really should have had the suspension checked out & re-aligned back in Nov when you discovered a damaged wheel.

A 2005 car is nearly 7 years old depending on the in-service date. This is really a normal repair & maintenance after that many years.

I'm not being harsh, just logical. I don't see any issue with how your dealer is handling this at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Main question wasn't with how the dealer handled it at all. Just mad at myself for not being thorough enough at the time of purchase - completely my own fault.

Was more looking for answer on how to approach the repairs. Was hoping someone could offer some advice if anything else should be checked/replaced while they're at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts