Acura TSX Forum banner

Replacing Tech Speakers - Factory Amp

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LCSeminole 
#1 ·
Hi All,
First off, I've done a ton of searching on various Acura forums and can't find the exact information I'm looking for.

I just purchased a used 2009 TSX with the Tech Package and have the dreaded "blown speakers" issue (seems to be both front speakers). I don't think I'll be able to talk the dealer I purchased from into replacing them, and not so sure I want to keep replacing bad apples with bad apples... As much as I would love to put in a high-end sound system, I'm going to be budget restricted so I'd like to just retain the factory amp and replace the stock speakers. I've read that the "highs" can be a little much with aftermarket speakers, but for now I'm just going to have to deal with it.

What I'm trying to find out is the best way to install the aftermarket speakers bracket-wise. If I order a pair of 6.5" components from Crutchfield (say the Polk db6501's), will the bracket/adapter Crutchfield supplies work? I thought I had read that there are no aftermarket adapters, but I don't think Crutchfield would be sending the speakers out with no way to install them.

If I wanted to make my own bracket, how difficult is that? I have all of the tools, I've just never made them before. How do I make the right size and shape? Using the stock speaker as a template?

I see that a lot of people upgrade to Alpine Type S or Type R speakers, do these fit better in our car? I had Type R speakers in my old Integra years ago and loved them. But I know I'm restricted by my amp and don't want to "overbuy." Any general recommendations on speakers would be much appreciated, as far as fit and amp restrictions go.

Finally, any tips or tricks on how to install the crossover and tweeters? Will aftermarket tweeters fit behind the stock grille? Do the crossovers need to be installed or does the factory amp take care of that, I couldn't tell from the threads I read through? This may be a really dumb question, so I apologize in advance.
I know that is a ton of information, I just want to get the best I can given my factory amp and minimize frustration once I start pulling the doors apart and installing the speakers...

Thanks in advance everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you ever get this figured out? I've called Crutchfield and they were trying to steer me towards some Infinity speakers for $200. I can spend it, but I just want clean highs and mids.

Was thinking about getting either the Alpine Type-S or Polk db651s speakers too. Some people complained about the Polks going too high and I see a lot of people talking about how great their Alpines are. Crutchfield said to definitely not get the Alpines though, so I'm still trying to decide.

#6 ·
I'm curious as to why Crutchfield would say not to get the Alpines? I have Alpine 6.5 Type R's from my last car and I have installed them in the rear deck on my 2011 TSX. As for speaker mounting brackets, the Scosche SAHC634 speaker mounting bracket is a perfect fit for the rear deck and is supposed to be the same for the front doors. The speakers need to be attached in a particular spot on the mounting bracket and not the pre-drilled holes. You'll have to figure the speaker position and drill holes for that position. I've also ordered another set of Alpine 6.5 Type R's and will be putting these in the front doors.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I just purchased some Polk Audio DB6501's for the front doors. I haven't heard them, but after reading the comments at Amazon, I was convinced.

One comment in particular: "These speakers took a significant amount of tuning to get right. Out of the box, the tweeters are extremely bright. In order to correct this, I had to use the lowest attenuation on the crossovers, and then actively attenuate by -9dB @ 4kHz and -8dB @ 1kHz. This gets rid of the "lispy" vocals and ear splitting cymbals."

This might be what you are experiencing Ewnoell.

I'll be installing them myself in the next couple of weeks (cooler weather permitting) and I'll post some photos. I also ordered some B-Quiet. After using Dynamat in my 02 Honda Accord doors, I know this stuff can make a difference. I didn't want to go nuts with the cost though. Hence, the B-Quiet this time.

#7 ·
I'm not sure why they didn't like the Alpines. Maybe the commission was really small on them...?

I upgraded the front door speakers with the Polks and after breaking in for a week, they sound far better. I'll probably leave the rear speakers since they are for fill anyway. I made a mounting bracket out of wood with a jigsaw. It looks amateurish, but is inside the door, so it doesn't matter.

Also, I left the original tweeter in place and didn't mess with the crossover stuff. I debated setting it up, but didn't want to deal with where I would mount the crossover box and trying to get the component tweeters to fit the factory enclosure.

For $105, I felt like it was a solid and worthwhile upgrade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.