Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report: Mitsubishi official says Evo franchise is dead — Autoblog

by Aaron Richardson (RSS feed) on Mar 2nd 2011 at 12:40PM

According to Gayu Eusegi, head of global product development for Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution X will be the last Evo the Japanese automaker ever builds. Eusegi says the move is part of a shift in strategy to put the company's product focus and ethos on leadership in EV technology.

To that end, Autocar indicates that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by the time 2015 rolls around, and make a grab for a big portion of the CO2-reduction market share. It goes without saying that the fun-yet-fuel-swilling Evo just doesn't fit that mindset, particularly since it apes a rally car that no longer exists.

Despite the Evo's huge popularity, Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand. By killing the Evo, they're making their intentions plain to an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public.

Eusegi killed dead any notion that the brand would roll out a performance-oriented hybrid as well. "Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market agian," he said.

This report of the Evo's death would seem to stand in contrast to multiple reports that an Evo XI is in the works with a hybrid drivetrain. We're taking this latest Autocar missive with a few grains of salt, as we can see how Eusegi may have simply meant that an Evo that relies exclusively on internal combustion is dead – a hybrid Evo would seem to offer a nice technological bridge to Mitsubishi's more electrically minded future.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
should've kill the eclipse instead.

·
DiRTBAG Jose!
1,306 Posts
^:laugh:

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
damn, I feel like someone read my mind before I even read this too.....
EVO should've stayed, eclipse should've been cut after they stopped making the GSX!

·
dont bit me mod bug
330 Posts
better cop up on da evo man cuz prices is going to start sky rocketn on them SUPPLY N DEMAND (i did learn something from skool hehehehe)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It's going to be sad to see that the biggest production model of Mitsubishi is coming to an end. I really think it's going to effect them in a major way and hopefully they will change their mind. The EVO was and will always be an awesome sports sedan that is fun to mod and drive.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
post pic of evo!

·
CL9 to ZF1
1,461 Posts
Way to take a knife to your own balls.
my sentiments exactly. At one point it was rumored that the Evo XI would be a hybrid gas / electric car. I was super interested although the hardcore Evo fans wanted boost. To kill it off completely is the silliest thing they could ever do.

post pic of evo!

P.S. ARC is out of business so you wont see their parts around much longer either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sti fans must be happy lol
i use to have a WRX and i am more nervous than happy.. i am nervous that subaru will follow next... because lets face it the evo and the WRX are both at the top of that market and look what happened after one left the WRC ,the other followed. and subaru's turbo come from mitshubitshi

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not good... the EVO is a nice car. They should get rid of 2 or 3 other POS they have instead of the EVO. Just make it cheaper, it will sell :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
So, I can tell not everyone on here watches business news regularly...

Mitsu is killing the galant, the eclipse, their truck, their SUV, basically everything. Killing the EVO was inevitable. All of their new cars are going to be Electric, the president of Mitsu stated this some time ago.

In dealing with a Subaru dealer, apparently the Impreza is up for a redesign release next year, getting a new engine. Well, the dealer told me that their have been told by Subaru of America, that the WRX/STI as of right now isn't being refreshed, it is going to soldier on with the old chassis/engine, until like 2013, 2014, at which point the future of the WRX is just a question mark (?).

None of those automobiles get good mileage, and new government standards by 2016 is like 40mpg fleet average, you don't want a fuel chugger pulling down your standard.

Did anyone even know that Subies boxer engine that is currently produced was designed in the 80's with a first model year being 1989?

·
CL9 to ZF1
1,461 Posts
^ yep but they keep tweaking the boxer and the newest revision is the cleanest yet (not that thats saying much).

Additionally i follow business news. The Evolution XI was remored to be a hybrid car with electric motors providing some of the power to reduce fuel consumption. You can make a performance car more efficient without killing it all together. Additionally if their fleet average needs to be above 40MPG and the rest of the cars in the lineup are all EV's im sure they can get away with a Hybrid evo that doesnt leave those that want performance out in the cold.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Additionally if their fleet average needs to be above 40MPG and the rest of the cars in the lineup are all EV's im sure they can get away with a Hybrid evo that doesnt leave those that want performance out in the cold
My thoughts exactly to a tee. One of the major auto mags ran an article basically saying "love or hate the Chevy Volt all you want. It's production and increased fuel economy for the fleet will highten the chances of some big honkin' V-8's to still be able to be produced."

I have doubts an all EV car company will last very long, especially by the year 2015. Too many consumers don't look at these types of cars when they are shopping, and considering Mitsu's sales to begin with... people will not start flocking to them any more than they do now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't disagree, but I think what VW/Audi are doing with turbo diesel is plenty performance. Mitsu will probably focus on other countries where small cars that go short distances are the normal, USA isn't really that way, yet. Until big cities get more people living in them, going shorter distances, America won't be the best market for these.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts