Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report: Mugen CR-Z powertrain details come to light — Autoblog

The Honda CR-Z is an interesting little hybrid that has mostly disappointed us with a dire need for more power if it ever hopes to live up to its promise as a sports coupe. The tuners at Mugen have promised to change all that with a souped-up version of the unique little hatch, and CAR reports the result is a 50-percent power increase via forced injection.

The British mag says the Mugen Euro will feature a supercharger mated to the standard 1.5-liter four-cylinder, which bumps the power output to 197 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque. That's a far cry from the stock 113 ponies and 107 lb-ft, yet the engineers at Mugen reportedly managed to find a way sync Honda's integrated hybrid assist system. That should make for a fairly efficient little screamer, and Mugen is reportedly hoping induction and exhaust upgrades will help its hot hatch improve upon the CRZ's 38 miles per gallon. Not if you're using all 197 of those ponies on a regular basis.

Additional upgrades reported by CAR are a host of weight-saving tech including 17-inch forged Mugen GP wheels, front and rear adjustable dampers and upgraded brakes. Expected visual updates include Mugen-spec front and rear bumpers, a massive rear wing and side skirts.

When the Mugen Euro CR-Z makes its official debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July, we're told to expect Type-R levels of performance. Sadly, we won't be holding our breath for a U.S. launch any time soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
let me contribute to this post on some of the earlier pics i found

not 100% sure if mugen is tuning the sketched CRZ the same way, but exterior looks about the same

·
Registered
972 Posts
"50-percent power increase via forced injection."

Wtf is forced injection? Forced induction maybe?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
lol nice catch..I read that line and completely missed that.

This sounds promising..I like the way that sketch looks with the crz dumped on some bigger rims

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
I love the front end but I'm still not fond of the rear. I wish they would make a coupe with a similar front end.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"50-percent power increase via forced injection."

Wtf is forced injection? Forced induction maybe?
:laugh: Yeah Autoblog is starting to fail on me; it's like they don't even care anymore or actually don't have any interest in cars. The silly mistakes they're making on fuel economy figures, statistics, and grammar are becoming too common.

·
So many options and shit
356 Posts
will trade if we get this *that'll never happen* false hope... lol

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Are those Mugen GP's? Because Mugen were supposed to discontinue those. I guess it could be just a concept and they slapped on GP's as a teaser.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Official: Honda CR-Z Mugen show car

Honda CR-Z Mugen show car to pack 197 horsepower for Goodwood debut — Autoblog

Call it anticipation or call it wishful thinking, but reports of a hotter version of the Honda CR-Z have been circulating pretty much ever since the hybrid hatchback hit the market. The CR-Z may be sportier than most hybrids, but when the faithful were expecting a spiritual successor to the iconic CRX with an added jolt of electricity, many were left disappointed.

Along those lines, we have good news, and we have bad news. The good news is that some new details on the hotly anticipated Mugen version of the CR-Z have dropped. The bad news is that it's still strictly a one-off show car, at least for the time being.

The concept car will be revealed in July at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. And when it is, it won't be turbocharged as earlier speculated, but it will be supercharged. With the added benefit of forced induction, the output from the 1.5-liter i-VTEC four that forms the internal combustion part of Honda's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system will be increased by 50 percent, and when coupled with the electric component will serve up 200 metric horsepower (197 on our scale) and 181 pound-feet of torque.

To go with the added power, the pseudo-works Honda tuner is also fitting adjustable dampers, a wider track, upgraded brakes and rolling stock, an enhanced aero kit and a weight-reduction regimen. Although Mugen insists it holds no plans for producing its breathed-on hybrid, there's no telling what sufficient demand might yield. Follow the jump for the press release and check out the two engine shots released to join the renderings released previously in the gallery below.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts