Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 05 TSX 6-speed, all gears hit pretty nice. Problem is, when I put it into reverse, it is sometimes a real pain to get it out, sometimes I have to turn off the car and pump the clutch a couple times to get it out. Also, when trying to go into reverse, sometimes it will grind, so I turn the car off, then on again, and gets into reverse smooth. Any advice?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Check the shift linkages at the tranny end for any obvious looseness, those are easy to access under the hood.

Worn motor mounts will create shift problems, I experienced that in forward gears though. Replace with OEM or quality specialty products, cheap aftermarket will wear out again very soon.

A worn clutch will definitely do that if it's hanging up a little... reverse has no synchro, so it might be more noticeable. If it's 150k+ might be time for a clutch anyway.

Might also be a clutch cylinder problem, slave is easy to replace, master is a PITA. Check fluid level, look for fluids leaks on the mat under the pedal.

That all seems more likely than a tranny problem, unless the PO was drifting in reverse lol...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the shift linkages at the tranny end for any obvious looseness, those are easy to access under the hood.

Worn motor mounts will create shift problems, I experienced that in forward gears though. Replace with OEM or quality specialty products, cheap aftermarket will wear out again very soon.

A worn clutch will definitely do that if it's hanging up a little... reverse has no synchro, so it might be more noticeable. If it's 150k+ might be time for a clutch anyway.

Might also be a clutch cylinder problem, slave is easy to replace, master is a PITA. Check fluid level, look for fluids leaks on the mat under the pedal.

That all seems more likely than a tranny problem, unless the PO was drifting in reverse lol...
PO Said he put a stage 3 clutch in and recently replaced the slave. He mentioned that he had to adjust the clutch pedal because he had to really pump it to make it switch gears but after adjusting it, he said it shifted nicely. He advised I’d try adjusting it maybe but I’ll take a look a the shift linkages and go from there

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds like 2 possibilities- hydraulic system is not bled correctly and there’s air or the clutch was not installed correctly/damaged disc.
Address this issue sooner than later. The difficulty with reverse is your sign. A hydraulic issue or clutch is way better than burning up synchros for the other gears and needing the transmission rebuilt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts